Embedding large images

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited September 2009 in MTB general
Is it just me that finds maving massive images embedded in the forum are a pain in the bum? not only do they not fit, and require scrollbars, it also makes the page take that bit longer to load.

If others agree, can we make some kind of forum rule where only thumbnails are to be embedded in forum posts, and that if a picture is large enough to require scrollbars, then it should be linked to instead?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Is it not browser dependant too?

I use IE, and anything above 600x450 gets the scroll bars.
  • I resize most of mine to max width of 450px, they seem to fit quite well.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Anonymous
    IE here as well. I'll just check the others.
  • Anonymous
    nope, Firefox, Chrome, and Opera also get the scrollbars.
    Actually, Opera is really odd - it adds a horizontal scrollbar to any image, whether it fits or not.
    But, who cares about Opera, the money grabbing, moany muppets :roll:
  • Doesn't bother me tbh, If a pic needs to be a large size to show detail (for example) to someone then you can and you use the scrollers. 8/10 I don't bother I get the gist and bypass the pic, so it doesn't phase me.

And judging by people's efforts I'd say you might as well ask them to speak Chinese than to ask them to embed thumbnails.
  • supersonic
    Lol. Is 600x450 about right then before scroll bars?
  • Anonymous
    well, linking to a picture is easy enough.
  • supersonic
    No bars there for me.
  • supersonic
    And scroll bars.

I put forward a motion to limit images to 600x450!
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    edited September 2009
    Still means you have to set your hosting account up correctly from default usually. Which I would say is a step too far. People grasp >> upload >> copy / paste url into post it's least line of resistance no RTFMing and just works. I use photobucket and find their options setup dialogue a ball-ache.
  • supersonic
    I'm photobucket too. Bloody slow at times!

Though I will make an effort to resize before upload to that res - I used to resize to 640x480, so no biggie for me personally.
  • I'm photobucket too, which is fine from my Mac or PC, but I can't resize from my iphone as the resize software is Flash.
    I mostly use my phone as it's easy for snapping stuff quickly without having to fanny about turing the computer on so I have to admit I do, on the odd occasion, have images that are a bit big.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Anonymous
    No need to resize, just suggest that anything over 640x450 is linked to, not embedded.
    I mean, sticking it inside [ url ] tags instead of [ img ]
  • :lol: Slow? try using their bulk image uploader. It's up there with some of the worst java implementation I've seen.

I always resize to 600 for this forum but then I always use Irfanview image viewer in Windows. But I have done larger to get detail across on here tho.
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    I find the images the most annoying thing about this forum (yes, even more than the 'patrons' :P )

Use a basic PHP script I have written to allow uploads/deleting without having to go into my FTP. I have been considering running a service to host images since I have had to script a password protect to the upload/delete page as someone had gone and deleted all of my images/files last week :evil:

I use my own hosting to upload my images and use MS Paint to rezise them to fit on with little/no horizontal scroll bars.

Interestingly, if you e-mail the image to hotmail, the preview that they show you within the e-mail is just the right size for this forum and can be easily saved (right-click) instead of downloading the attachment. :D
  • So, as a rule, 600px or less, and if you can't resize put a link??
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • supersonic
    It is a proposition. Will have to run it by the other admins.

Seems a good guideline anyway.
  • I've been in a few tech related forums where the female contingent won't put direct links to images from their hosting accounts because they didn't want to unnecessarily advertise any information in plain view.

It works as it is - unless you're on dial up of course.
  • Anonymous
    Oh, and did anybody here knwo that if you have a hotmail account, then it means you also have a photo sharing account already.
    What's more, you can upload images (and resize whilst doing so) to it DIRECTLY from within windows photo gallery.

neat.
  • Anonymous
    I've been in a few tech related forums where the female contingent won't put direct links to images from their hosting accounts because they didn't want to unnecessarily advertise any information in plain view.

It works as it is - unless you're on dial up of course.
    well, whether you post the image, or the link, it's usually pretty trivial to see other (allowed) images on the same account.
  • I have always wondered what someone would think if they logged onto my photobucket account, just lots of random bike pics - particularly for the photo challenge on this forum! And a random picture of raw steak I added yesterday. but I understand if you have more personal pics you may not want to share.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • I can give you a few examples where a female forum member has posted a mug shot of themselves on an innocuous forum member pic thread and used their "family photobucket" album to host images. I can think of 2 women in particular who used their real names to sign up to the host (family name) and the information is displayed in the URL and each one was subsequently targeted by a watching (male) public trawling the web for more information - which was available it turned out.

Just be mindful is all I'm saying.
  • Anonymous
    I can give you a few examples where a female forum member has posted a mug shot of themselves on an innocuous forum member pic thread and used their "family photobucket" album to host images. I can think of 2 women in particular who used their real names to sign up to the host (family name) and the information is displayed in the URL and each one was subsequently targeted by a watching (male) public trawling the web for more information - which was available it turned out.

But that could happen whether you're posting images, or posting links to images.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Ok how do I do a linkable thumbnail from flickr

got the thumbnail size up on flickr copied and pasted the URL between img tags and all I get is a tiny picture.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • I can give you a few examples where a female forum member has posted a mug shot of themselves on an innocuous forum member pic thread and used their "family photobucket" album to host images. I can think of 2 women in particular who used their real names to sign up to the host (family name) and the information is displayed in the URL and each one was subsequently targeted by a watching (male) public trawling the web for more information - which was available it turned out.

But that could happen whether you're posting images, or posting links to images.

As things are now you have to go through the reply procedure to someone who has inserted a link to an image to see that url. Nothing is displayed apart from the image on face value.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Those who find that the page load slowly with images embedded should look into getting an additional hamster for their broadband wheel.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Anonymous
    As things are now you have to go through the reply procedure to someone who has inserted a link to an image to see that url. Nothing is displayed apart from the image on face value.
    Right click image, choose "properties".
    I thought you were meant to be good at things like this :wink:
  • That all depends if that's been disabled in the account though, admittedly people don't usually bother / forget / don't rtfm / can't be arsed.