How many gears?

2»

Comments

• jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    How bout a rohloff 14 speed hub with an 11 speed cassette and a triple ring upfront anyone?

just had a thought aswell, how bout we add one of those internal geraboxes GT dh bikes used, dont know how many gears they had but just imagine................. :P :D
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    I'm thinking about binnin the large chainwheel and getting a bash guard instead.

I probably catch the chainwheel more times than I use it.
    Craig Rogers
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    jayson wrote:
    How bout a rohloff 14 speed hub with an 11 speed cassette and a triple ring upfront anyone?

just had a thought aswell, how bout we add one of those internal geraboxes GT dh bikes used, dont know how many gears they had but just imagine................. :P :D
    Then stick on a hammershmidt as well - bodging it to work with a triple, of course :lol:
    I reckon you'd be thinking so hard about how to change gears, you'd end up crashing all the time :lol:
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    jayson wrote:

Then stick on a hammershmidt as well - bodging it to work with a triple, of course :lol:
    I reckon you'd be thinking so hard about how to change gears, you'd end up crashing all the time :lol:

Awesome idea, i'd forgotten bout Hammersmchmidt!!! :D:D:D
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    jayson wrote:
    jayson wrote:

Awesome idea, i'd forgotten bout Hammersmchmidt!!! :D:D:D
    Helooooo!!!!!!!! did you mis my post!!!!!!!!
    anyway, now with the hamershmit in the mix, and the GT, you could have
    7x2x4x11x14+
    (drum role)
    8264 gears!now that would be the one!!!!! imagine trying to choose!
    "now, do i need 6420, or 905 for this climb?" "hay mate, what gear are you in?" "um, 7437"
    I like bikes and stuff
  • someone post the link to the continuous gearing gearbox.

Infinite number of gears, bish bash bosh I win... limited range though.
  • joshtp
    someone post the link to the continuous gearing gearbox.

Infinite number of gears, bish bash bosh I win... limited range though.
    that already exists? unbelivebly i was drawing up tech diagrams of something working on what must be a similar principle just 2 days ago, i was thinking about getting a prorotype machined up! it would be a sealed unit attatched to the freehub and mech hanger in place of a mech to giv a Bolt-on gearbox effect.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • clever, probably could work.

the one i saw is a gearbox that fits in the BB area.
  • joshtp
    clever, probably could work.

the one i saw is a gearbox that fits in the BB area.
    cool, if you fing a link, let me know!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    With a typical 3 x 9 there is 14 different ratios, if the large chainring is removed it loses 2 ratios.

Changing the middle ring to a 36 gives back 1 ratio so it ends up back to 13.

With a triple you get on the granny 3 ratios, then 9 on the middle and 2 on the outer

With a double and 36 middle it's 4 and 9.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Also need to look at the spread - I run a triple because I use both the 44/11 and 22/30.

Now if mechs could jump 22 teeth at the front ;-)
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    imagine trying to choose!
    "now, do i need 6420, or 905 for this climb?" "hay mate, what gear are you in?" "um, 7437"

Brilliant.

But unless this would get in the way of the GT thing you were talking about (never heard of it myself), how about this..

07_sainte-anne_world_cup_01.jpg

hondas gearbox from their old dh bike (if anyone remembers 2004 - I think)

minnaar.JPG

So how many gears was in that thing?
  • supersonic
    It was a Suntour G Boxx I think?
  • RealMan
    Suntour V Boxx..

suntour_gearbox_v_boxx_1.jpg

Could be the same thing.
  • supersonic
    That's the fella.

Looks like it weighs a bit!
  • joshtp
    very similar to the gt thing.
    iv just remembered the Diamond back sabbath, it has the new Suntour g-box with 9 gears.....so....
    9x2x4x11x14=
    11088 gears!!!!!1
    I like bikes and stuff
  • RealMan
    I imagine gear 1 would be so low that you would have to turn the pedals a full 10 times before the wheel moved.

And gear 11088 would be so high you could just jump up and down on one pedal all day and it wouldn't budge.

However, if anyone makes this bike, please take pictures. Then get a life :D
  • supersonic
    Well the new version will have 16 gears! So that is

19712!

Assuming you can actually bodge a quad chainset onto a Hammerscmidt!
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    supersonic wrote:
    Also need to look at the spread - I run a triple because I use both the 44/11 and 22/30.

Now if mechs could jump 22 teeth at the front ;-)

Like your 104 inches then :lol:
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • RealMan
    Oh no - one of my gears is skipping..

BUT WHICH ONE???? :shock: :shock:

Find out, next year (after you've had enough time to go through every single gear)

You'd also have so many cables that if you weren't careful, cable rub would just turn your frame to dust within a few rides. And you would definitely need some H bars for the levers, maybe stick some downtube shifters on as well.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I reckon you might have so many gear cables, they'd weigh more than a normal bike :lol:
  • Personally, I think you've all gone mad!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • joshtp
    you would need 5 shifters!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • 3 bikes and 75gears total, but I only use about 4 on each bike very often. Plus the phase 24 speed or 27 speed is misleading as others have pointed out as some ratios will be the same ans there's a few combinations you should never use (e.g. Granny front and smalllest cog back)
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • So, on a 9-speed, triple chainring set up, would this be more or less correct with regards to useable gears...

Granny Ring = Use bottom 5 gears?
    Middle Ring = All 9 gears (or middle 7)?
    Large Ring = Top 5 gears?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • supersonic
    Yes (ish). Have a look in the FAQ, I put a guide in there.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    18 on both bikes, it's as many as you need.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • supersonic
    Not enough for me lol. I do use the full spread of my triple!
  • Two bikes, 28 gears between them.

But then, I am fabulously wealthy.
    Or I was until I bought two Rohloff hubs. :?
    I am a mountain biking god.
    Unfortunately, my bike's an atheist.
  • I have 21 on my Orange ST4, the xtr cassette kinda exploded a bit and I lost the 32t cog..... just set the stop screws and viola 8sp cass converted to 7! Saved a bit of weight to boot, hardly used that wimpy 32t anyway......