Do you prefer winter or summer riding?

2»

Comments

• Winter riding is the best... Can't beat the cold air freezing your ears, nose (which then starts streaming), fingertips and toes for a couple of hours... The joy of getting into a hot bath (or shower) is the best feeling!!!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Both. It's great to see how places change throughout the seasons and it changes the game.

Only downside to winter is the lack of daylight in the evenings.
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    I prefer the summer myself simply because i dont have to strip down and clean thebike every time i get in.

There is something nice about a fresh clear winters day when the ground is hard and frosty but i'll still take the summer anytime, i like being warm!!!
  • flamedude
    flamedude Posts: 119
    I can never decide which season is best for riding. Sometimes its too warm, too dusty, too wet etc. The only thing I can decide is that the middle of winter in the UK is not good, its just too cold for it...... working up a sweat suddenly becomes a dangerous threat.

Not looking forward to working out Canadian winters for riding.
  • I like the bright early mornings of summer, get out just as the day is starting an everyone else is still sleeping. i'm not keen anymore on riding in the dark, having to put lights on the bars an lid. so summer gets my vote for that reason not for how the weather is.
  • BigStu2
    BigStu2 Posts: 794
    The start of winter is nice over here as the trails start to firm up and become fast like todays temp of -4!,
    Mid winter is cracking as long as there isnt to much snow on the lakes covering the ice.
    Summer rocks though as theres nothing better than just wearing shorts and a top for a quick blast around the local loop after work.
    .........all
    ...at........work
    fun..................&
    ..no.............no
    .....is......play
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Just got back from a ride in the first gale of the season. What a giggle riding a FS bike with knobblies flat out in top gear with a 60 mph wind pushing you along, all the lumps and bumps disappear you just float over them. I rode up a climb in top gear that is usually a middle ring and big cog grind.

Loved it until the moment came when I turned round Aaah 12 miles grinding along in the granny ring with every gust threatening to blow me to a halt.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Any really- as long as it isn't too windy (like today)!

I probably edge towards winter mornings with a bit of frost TBH- not even dust to to wipe off after a blast then!
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • none :lol:

well in order

1 spring
    2 autumn
    3 summer
    4 winter
    My blog: http://kevincampbellsblog.blogspot.com
    Follow my biking journeys and my path in photography and you will also be able to read about much more too including reviews, and all sorts of random rubbish that may amuse or interest you
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I hate spring, all the plants overgrowing the trails etc, and the weather doesn't know what to do so it's really hard to dress right. Same with autumn, plus very windy here in autumn.

One thing I love about winter is when the undergrowth dies back- last year I found an old trail that's completely hidden in summer, part cleared it, it vanished again come spring but I'll dig it out properly next year and once other people can see it it'll stay open. Nice and easy.
    Uncompromising extremist