Umm...fixies...why?

Comments

• secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    FeynmanC wrote:
    No, seriously, I'm not sure I get the reason behind fixies.

I tried a spin class ages ago, which was on a bike where the pedals kept going if I stopped spinning. I found as I flagged my legs would slow and i'd end up almost chucked over the bars onto the floor :oops:

So, I really don't get it. Fixie lovers, sell your passion to an interested person.

One word: snobbery. "I'm more of a proper cyclist than you are"

My Grandad used to go on about cycling on a fixed...but then they didn't HAVE gears back when he rode a bike :lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Harry182 wrote:

erm! that's a single speed in that vid
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • RedJohn
    RedJohn Posts: 272
    It's fun. Puts a smile on my face at the end of a busy day :D
  • RedJohn
    SecretSam wrote:

One word: snobbery. "I'm more of a proper cyclist than you are"
    Nah, not buying that. Got a road bike and a mountainbike too, quite happy to be seen on those. I reckon you'll find most fixie riders have proper ( :lol: ) bikes too.
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    After 133 years of continuous engineering development, we now have bikes that are safe and comfortable to ride and use the rider's power with about 99% efficiency.

So why on earth would anyone ride a bike without any of these advantages?
    Dudu wrote:
    After 133 years of continuous engineering development, we now have bikes that are safe and comfortable to ride and use the rider's power with about 99% efficiency.

Because getting from point A to point B in the least possible kilojoules is not always the point of hopping on a bike.
    Roberts Audax - Raleigh Fixie - Thorn Tandem
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    edited September 2009
    Dudu wrote:

Fixed drivetrain is actually more efficient than geared... also nothing uncomfy or unsafe about fixed - assuming you know what you're doing and the bike is setup correctly, which applies to all bikes anyway.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    We do actually explain why above, Dudu. Do you just think it's entirely wrong or did you just want to get your opinion in without listening to anyone else's?

Do any of the fixie-doubters here prefer a car to have a manual gearbox over an automatic? It's very good comparison as to the primary *riding* advantage of a fixed-gear bike.
  • RedJohn
    Ah well, I like my fixie, but I like my cars with an auto box!
  • Irvinet
    Irvinet Posts: 117
    Fixed drivetrain is actually more efficient than geared...

Mmm.. in certain situations I am sure this is true but human legs are most efficient at a certain cadence so I think the gears win out pretty quickly in terms of total system efficiency.

If I was riding a long way I would want gears... does not mean I would give up my fixed gear for my London commute though.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    It's actually better to go up hill the a freewheel as you take momentum into the next pedal rotation
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    biondino wrote:
    We do actually explain why above, Dudu. Do you just think it's entirely wrong or did you just want to get your opinion in without listening to anyone else's?

Do any of the fixie-doubters here prefer a car to have a manual gearbox over an automatic? It's very good comparison as to the primary *riding* advantage of a fixed-gear bike.

It's not a very good comparison, as a car still has gears, regardless of whether it's an automatic or manual. Having car with just one gear wouldn't be much good :lol:
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Rich_E wrote:
    biondino wrote:

It's not a very good comparison, as a car still has gears, regardless of whether it's an automatic or manual. Having car with just one gear wouldn't be much good :lol:
    Amongst all the fuss over a certain recent Tesla Roadster review, you must've missed the fact that it has a single speed gearbox.

;)
  • biondino
    Rich_E wrote:
    biondino wrote:

The number of gears isn't why I made the comparison. It's that in a manual, you are completely in control of which gear YOU want to be in at any time, and it's this sense of one-ness with the engine that reminds me of a fixie.

I also like driving automatics, fwiw, but a manual is definitely a car for driving rather than for getting from A to B.
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    Dudu wrote:

Fixed drivetrain is actually more efficient than geared... also nothing uncomfy or unsafe about fixed - assuming you know what you're doing and the bike is setup correctly, which applies to all bikes anyway.

Changing cadence all the time is very inefficient. That's why god gave us gears.
    Irvinet wrote:
    Dudu wrote:

Because getting from point A to point B in the least possible kilojoules is not always the point of hopping on a bike.

You never get tired or hungry?
    biondino wrote:

I've heard all the opinions before. My club is suffering from the fixie disease at the moment. I'm immune.
    Dudu wrote:
    Irvinet wrote:
    Dudu wrote:

Indeed I do.... sometimes I cycle specifically to induce these very states. Why do you ask?
  • biondino
    Me too! I get more exercise and stronger legs out of fixie riding, plus it has far fewer parts to get caked with London grime. It's a no-brainer.

Now, I'm going riding in the countryside this weekend, and I'll be taking my roadie. Also a no-brainer, because on this occasion I don't necessarily want to get knackered with 20 miles to go and have to stick with 48/18 for any hills I come across.

Horses for courses, and I'm glad (and lucky) I've got both options.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Dudu wrote:
    Irvinet wrote:
    Dudu wrote:

Amazingly, I manage the 20 minute commute twice a day without needing to either rest or eat. All despite having only one gear, I must be some sort of physiological marvel.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Dudu wrote:

The drivetrain might be more efficient, in the sense that more of the energy you put in to the cranks reaches the cog, but that's not measuring anything practically useful really.

I think most people would be more interested in the effiiciency of converting your energy into forward motion, which is what gears are for.
  • biondino
    Hah - I have just discovered that because I have shorter cranks on the fixie, the effective gearing is actually slightly higher! Hurrah!
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Love my fixed - had it 4 months now - it's great having a 'work bike' only, and saves a stack of maintenance time - yeh I keep it clean and oiled, but getting rid of the gears made sense.

I have to be careful of my gear ratio - 33 mph at 160 rpm, vs 12 mph at 70 rpm on the hill near home.....

It's also good training - great when you jump on a road bike, although they feel a little odd at first, like pedalling wet concrete until you've done a few miles....no wheel pushing your legs round.
  • teulk
    teulk Posts: 557
    biondino wrote:
    Downhill - I'd strongly advise not taking your feet off the pedals as it wobbles like a bastard, as I discovered at 30mph in the Hyde Park Corner underpass :shock:

So am i right in thinking that the pedals continue to rotate even when take your feet off them hense its not a good idea to take your feet off them - so, how the hell would you keep your feet on the pedals going downhill at 30mph :shock:
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    MrChuck wrote:

The drivetrain might be more efficient, in the sense that more of the energy you put in to the cranks reaches the cog, but that's not measuring anything practically useful really.

I think most people would be more interested in the effiiciency of converting your energy into forward motion, which is what gears are for.

+1 Absolutely right, come on fixie freaks admit it you are all just doing it coz you think its cool and that it makes you more of a "pure" cyclist than those of us with gears.
  • ince
    ince Posts: 289
    I try to ride my bikes 50/50, half the week on the road bike the other on the fixed. I'm always quicker on the road bike over all but I seem to get to work quicker in the morning on the fixed. The bikes are different to ride and its nice to mix it up.

It has certainly improved my cadence, at first I was flat out spinning at 24mph, now I can hit 28mph.

... and now after that vid I want to try riding backwards again. :twisted:
  • _Brun_ wrote:
    Ah, I've thought of a proper advantage! It improves your pedalling technique at high cadences.
    If people say it enough, it will be true.
  • I ride my fixed 42 miles daily, rack, panniers and full mudguards.

What I do find cool is:

when I scalp the guy in full race gear, HRM, 705 etc
    when two guys out on a training ride cant drop me
    when I scalp gears going up hill

Im cool, riding fixed is cool. :roll:

It improves your pedalling technique at high cadences, I no longer rock around like a loon at 35mph+
  • biondino wrote:
    Me too! I get more exercise and stronger legs out of fixie riding, plus it has far fewer parts to get caked with London grime. It's a no-brainer.
    Unless you also go faster, this means its less efficient.......

..... hard to argue about the mechanical convenience though (he says contemplating a drive train clean this coming weekend).
  • It improves your pedalling technique at high cadences, I no longer rock around like a loon at 35mph+
    Oh, its a little truer now you've said it as well.