Umm...fixies...why?

13»

Comments

• pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I like the idea of them for popping to the shops or whatever but wouldn't fancy commuting on one - trying to stop without brakes doesn't fill me with confidence.
  • pastryboy wrote:
    I like the idea of them for popping to the shops or whatever but wouldn't fancy commuting on one - trying to stop without brakes doesn't fill me with confidence.

You can have brakes, Ive got front and back with salmon pads, stop on a dime.
  • I have always wanted to try. But how do you get up and down a 1:4 hill.
    There is one on my commute!
    Racing is rubbish you can\'t relax and enjoy it- because some bugger is always trying to get past.
    Racing is rubbish you can\'t relax and enjoy it- because some bugger is always trying to get past.

Day 1 you go as far as you can, stop, walk, get back on, put all your weight on one pedal.
    Day 2 repeat but a little furthe
    Day 3 walk all the way up
    Day 4 Ride as far as you can, turn and pedal back down a bit and then give it another shot
    Day 5 etc

:wink:
  • Harry182 wrote:

Awesome skills, can't believe you managed to do much of that on that bike. Completely jealous! Big smiles watching it. :D
    My training blog, videos and other bike related stuff,
    www.bikesr4riding.com -- Twitter Feed

You have three gears on a fixie: Sitting, standing & walking... :-)

Basically, you attack the hill- you accelerate up to it and pile on the power as the gradient increases... You need to keep enough speed up to be able to keep the cranks turning and so you haul on the bars, push with your lead foot and haul up with the back one... keep it up until you crest the hill and then snatch a few seconds of rest before you wind up to 140rpm spinning down the other side....
    It's a little easier than on a regular bike because (1) the bike is much lighter and (2) you have no option...
    A few weeks of this and you will be a much stronger rider, with a smoother pedalling stroke... you'll be amazed at the hills that you can now power up, and so will your mates.

First time on a group ride on a fixie, we got to a slight hill and the rest of the group went backwards(!) They all downshifted instead of just pressing on...
    Cheers,
    W.
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    I like riding fixed because you can control the speed without using the brakes. I still have a front brake but if I'm riding on the top of the bars without immediate access to the brake levers it's easier to just use my legs to control the speed. I also found I had greater low speed control and stability (ie trackstands, creeping along at 1 mph etc). With a fixed drive chain you also never have that annoying delay between laying down the power and the freewheel engaging. Sure there are disadvantages (hills, headwinds) but I just like the feeling of the pedals pushing my legs round.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • +paul
    +paul Posts: 60
    Harry182 wrote:

Awesome skills, can't believe you managed to do much of that on that bike. Completely jealous! Big smiles watching it. :D

Not sure about the landing in the out take at the end!!! :shock:
  • http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/?p=3147 might make some hearts flutter :wink:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo