Turbo question

deejay.
deejay. Posts: 665
edited September 2009 in Training, fitness and health
Hi All,

JUst bought a Tacx Flow, which I set up this evening (and will be on tomorrow morning at the crack, when it's still dark), and I noticed that the rear wheel of my training bike does not line up with the middle (with the metal bit) of the training wheel of the turbo trainer. It does still line up with the metal portion, however. Is this going to cause a problem? I've checked the way the bike should be set up on the trainer, and I have followed the instructions exactly, but it still doesn't line up properly.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Deej
He's more machine now than man. Twisted and evil...

Comments

• kinesin
    kinesin Posts: 100
    Try reversing the Tacx quick release skewer - not sure if it will make a difference on the Tacx but it's mentioned on other brands of turbo.
    How far from center is is out? Is the skewer& wheel fitted fully back into the drop outs?
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I have a Cycleops Fluid II and I am pretty sure the wheel is not on the centre of the contact area. Seems to work OK though.

Maybe have a look on youtube to see if there are any instructional videos on set-up? I found one of two for the Fluid.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • deejay.
    deejay. Posts: 665
    kinesin wrote:
    Try reversing the Tacx quick release skewer - not sure if it will make a difference on the Tacx but it's mentioned on other brands of turbo.
    How far from center is is out? Is the skewer& wheel fitted fully back into the drop outs?

It's out by an inch, to an inch and a half, not much more. The skewer seems to be fitted correctly (there's only really one way of fitting one to a rear wheel) and the quick release on the turbo is at the correct level of tightness. I've asked Tacx, too. Waiting on their answer...

It all worked fine this morning, however, and had me breathing out of both ends at times!
    He's more machine now than man. Twisted and evil...
  • kinesin
    kinesin Posts: 100
    I'll play with my Flow latter to see if i can emulate your issue. The main support arms do flex out as you apply the quick release - however not enough to be an inch+ out.. (You are using the quick release to secure your bike?, not just double nut adjuster on one side?)

To which side is the wheel to closer to the edge? the motor side (left when sat on the bike, or chain ring side (right).

You mentioned your Flow is new; could it be be that the roller/resistance unit is somehow connected to the main frame wrong /upside down? Have you used the spacer parts (designed to support non 700c wheels - I don't think you need them iirc, but the documentation was awful).