It appears that i quite like my hardtail

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited September 2009 in MTB general
so, after about a thousand threads and a million different decisions i ended up with an on one 456.

many folk will know that i dont really like hardtails so they were suprised to see me taking an interest in one, especially a steel one at that (wheres the hydro-forming!!)

the bike is built and has been for a blast around the woods near where i work so, 2 things:

1: the woods near where i work are amazing, there is some awesome single track to be had and enough for a good hours blast. consider i have just mved from essex and the nearest riding to me was flat and equated as more travelling time than riding time, this is an ace thing.

2: i really really enjoyed riding a hardtail for the first time ever. im sure its not the new bike thing, ive owned new bikes before. ive owned carbon ones, alu ones and steel ones before in an attempt to like ht bikes but none of them were as good as the on one.

it comes in at 29lbs, which i think is very good and really seems to suit the ride i took it on. i will do the same route on a fs bike in the next few days which im sure i will prefer but either way, i cant quite put my finger on why but i really enjoyed riding a hardtail and i can completely imagine that every so often i will take it out on purpose instead of my other bikes just for a blast as its pretty good.

so from now on the big d party line is:

fs is better. fact.
but ht is pretty good.

discuss.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Glad you like it! Would have been the last frame I would have bought lol, but each to our own ;-)
  • Glad you chose a decent frame in the end :)
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    nice to hear that tbh. owning a very crap FS bike i don't know how good it is over a hardtail. if i ever rode a good quality FS bike then i would know the answer which one is best.

the on one frames ( i heared) are very good and really good prices too. 29lbs is a good weight as well
  • chrisga
    chrisga Posts: 587
    Glad you like it sheepsteeth. Have you got any pics/spec of your build, I'm really not sure what to expect. My new 456 frame should be arriving any day soon and I'm actually quite excited by it too. Back to the old school. Steel hard tail..... Yey.... How long did yours take to turn up from ordering?

Supersonic, why is it the last frame you would have bought? As someone who is supposed to be supportive of all things bargainous I thought it would have appealed. Or is it because it doesnt say GT on the front?
  • Anonymous
    3947835193_6dae3d84fa.jpg
    3948331104_90516d0614.jpg

the spec is made up from spares i had in the box and a second hand fork. i need to replace the wheels and brakes on the oldest stumpy as i have knicked them to build this but even once ive done tht, it will cost less than 500 quid (but only cause of the spares box)

2nd hand revelation 351 solo air 130mm fork
    old xt crank
    old x9 mech and shifters
    old xt brakes
    old control tech stem
    old spesh bars
    old dt swiss hubs and alex rim wheels
    old no name cartridge headset
    random pile of mimatched spacers

new deore mech (really nice and dead easy to set up, i dont know if it has been redesigned or summat but it doesnt rub in any combo and was easy as pie to set up!)
    new welgo v8 copy pedals
    new cheapo seatpost.

29lbs.

the frame arrived in a couple of days, orderred on a saturday i think or maybe a friday and it was on my doorstep on tues afternoon.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    C'mon Sheep's, you're not getting away with that, pics or it didn't happen, particularly pics of you actually riding it, otherwise I'm not convinced :lol:
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • chrisga
    Looks great. Only trouble I have now is that you are going to think I'm stalking you or something. My frame is also going to be built up with bits from an old stumpy I snapped. It will also have recons and crossrides....... Arghh.... Honest I'm not copying you! My build should be just the cost of the frame and one of the on-one headsets bought at the same time as the frame. Rest of it will be parts I have lying around the garage.
    Will post up pics once its built! Glad you like it, gives me hope that I will do to. Coming from an enduro its going to be a bit of a shock I should think!
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Good to see your return to sanity :wink:

No, but I'm glad your enjoying yourself, get out in those woods an' explore!
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • Anonymous
    jon, i'll see what i can do.

chrisga, you know what they say about great minds and all that!!
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Got an "Old" Muddy Fox, sorted for commuting, but found it was great for easy Mtb and mixed road rides. So, bought a 2nd hand Norco Bigfoot - £100 inc seatpost, stem, headset.
    Was a blast around Beddgelert Forest, Cilgwyn Quarry/Cilgwyn Mountain too.
    Just got full cheap Deore G/set, waiting for injury to heal before going back out.

But, also got new FS too.

Decisions, decisions...
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    What size frame? Looks like it might be too small, from the huge amount of seatpost you have sticking out.
    2nd hand revelation 351 solo air 130mm fork

Looks more like a recon...?

Give it another month or so and you'll be selling your full sus bikes for hardtail money..

:D

Real men ride hardtails...
  • supersonic
    "Supersonic, why is it the last frame you would have bought? As someone who is supposed to be supportive of all things bargainous I thought it would have appealed. Or is it because it doesnt say GT on the front?"

Too heavy for my weight weenie ways ;-)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Just think how much happier you'd be if you'd got a proper steel hardtail :wink:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    realman, well spotted, it is a recon, you'll never convince me that ht is better than fs, not least cause ive actually owned good ones of each type.

Northwind, whats a proper steel frame? I can only assume a proper steel frame is made of hydro formed aluinium and has some suspension and pivots as thats the only thing better than the current thing? :lol:
  • Northwind
    Northwind, whats a proper steel frame? I can only assume a proper steel frame is made of hydro formed aluinium and has some suspension and pivots as thats the only thing better than the current thing? :lol:

Something with a bit more Soul :wink:

Nah, just messing, 456s are great. Especially since they can take a longer fork.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • RealMan
    Northwind wrote:
    Just think how much happier you'd be if you'd got a proper steel hardtail :wink:

Because Inbreds are just cheapo Taiwanese steel, rather then Reynolds 853?
    realman, well spotted, it is a recon, you'll never convince me that ht is better than fs, not least cause ive actually owned good ones of each type.

I won't have to convince you, you will realise the truth soon enough :D
  • chrisga
    RealMan wrote:
    Northwind wrote:

Because Inbreds are just cheapo Taiwanese steel, rather then Reynolds 853?

Have you read this?

http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/?page_id=660
  • RealMan
    Not criticising them, Inbreds are still brilliant bikes, even if they aren't 853.
  • supersonic
    4130 cromo is 4130 cromo. But 4130 frames and tubes vary ie butting, dimensions, heat treating, seamless or not, how is joined etc.

Reynolds 520 is basically 4130 steel.
    Reynolds 525 is the same stuff, but USA made.
    Reynolds 531 is a managnese molybdenum steel
    631 steel alloy air hardens after welding
    725 is heat treated 4130 cromo and has a higher tensile strength
    753 is a heat treated manganese steel and is rare nowadays: can only be silver soldered and only sold to master frame builders
    853 is a heat treated, air hardening steel alloy
    953 is carpenter steel

Boring eh?!
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Who'd have thought a Sheffield native would know a whole lot about steel? :lol:
  • chrisga
    whoop whoop, mines here:

3949746047_36ce0c516c_b.jpg

Quite like the finish. Working for a steel company i think its quite fitting for me.....
  • the 456 is an awesome trail anvil... weighs about the same :P

The only thing i'd replace it with would be a lynskey ridgeline 26-LT.

But there are a few bikes i'd need in my stable before that happens...
  • supersonic
    The Summer Season is made from nicked scaffolding ;-)
  • that's why i have a 456 rather than a summer season... I like butted tubing.
  • Anonymous
    mine comes in at 29lbs without any pricey kit on it, i reckon with a tubeless set up (using better tyres) and better finishing kit it could be down to about 27.5-28 lbs with out too much more expense.

i will be converting to tubeless (mainly cause ive got a spare stans kit) but apart from changing to a black post, the rest will stay as is.
  • Northwind
    I do like that summer season... Still a few at 18 inches and £125 too, bargain.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    exactly, for about 140 quid once you factor in thr postage, its worth a punt even if u dont like it as you can just throw it away! Or even sell it, ive seen them going for about a hundred quid second hand!

It sas always going to be difficult to convince me to ride a ht but this un refined cheapo pile of rubbish which is too small for me is bloomin ace.
  • Northwind
    Yeah, exactly, I saw a 456 go for £130 a few weeks ago, covered in scrapes and scratches and only £10 less than the new price :lol: TBH I'm still half tempted to get one and throw it in the attic, since they're the last of the breed.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • chrisga
    Well mine is built, except I hadnt banked on it needing full length outers for the cables. Thats great news as im building it for mud plugging in the winter, but I dont have any spare outer. Arghh, otherwise its complete. Oh and do you know what size seat clamp it needs?
  • Anonymous
    it needs a 29.8 but a 30mm will do. I currently have a 28.6mm one stretched on as i couldnt wait any longer and crc sent me the wrong size.

I orderred 3m of outer for my 16"which was plenty, my advice is order that much.