Protein for breakfast ??

2»

Comments

• amck111
    amck111 Posts: 189
    There seems to be quite a strong dislike for protein shakes on this forum. I say this, rather coincidently, as I sip my chocolate smooth whey protein shake mixed with ultra fine porridge oats, delicious. Sure protein from food is better but sometimes there isn’t time to cook.

Generally, I would always have a shake after my breakfast; after training; and at night. That said, I do train most days and would only have it at night on rest days. From my experience, it curbs my cravings for that 11am cup of tea with the biscuit barrel. Perhaps it’s because I’m having a chocolate flavour shake but I just don’t need junk food like before. Personally, snacking on an apple or banana did not satisfy my craving for crap food. To the OP, I say try it. As been mentioned before, MyProtein is great, though it may be wise to avoid the ultra fine oats (unless you have trouble getting the calories you need.)
  • robrauy
    robrauy Posts: 252
    Thanks everyone - lots of useful advice...

For me, mid morning peanut butter wholemeal sandwiches have been a revelation, though not so keen on mixing chicken/fish/tuna/steak with my porridge.

I think I might give the protein shakes a go, just out of interest more than anything else.

I do agree that eating every couple of hours is the way forward, but I think you can eat too much fresh fruit, both from a sugar point of view (can't be good for your teeth), and also I feel it messes with my digestion..
  • robrauy wrote:
    Thanks everyone - lots of useful advice...

For me, mid morning peanut butter wholemeal sandwiches have been a revelation, though not so keen on mixing chicken/fish/tuna/steak with my porridge.

I think I might give the protein shakes a go, just out of interest more than anything else.

I do agree that eating every couple of hours is the way forward, but I think you can eat too much fresh fruit, both from a sugar point of view (can't be good for your teeth), and also I feel it messes with my digestion..

Cool. Just take it easy on the shakes to start off with and go from there (your wife/girlfriend will appreciate it too).

Bear in mind that most protein suppliers base their consumption rates on weight training so the recommended doses *may* be higher than you will strictly need for cycling.
  • I think we are missing something here. If you are looking at following a balanced diet, each meal should have a good combination of carbs/protien and fat. So you are right in adding that protien to your breakfast IMO. Carb only breakfasts will result in a blood sugar spike followed by a crash, which just leads to cravings for.... more carbs as already mentioned (often crap ones at that - sweets etc.). Adding protein to the meal will slow the blood sugar release, and give you energy for longer, whilst also assisting repair for your muscles - especially if you are training a lot.

That doesn't mean that you have to have protein shakes though, just whack down some eggs "Rocky" style :lol:
  • I mix chocolate protein powder in my porridge in the morning. That, or make an omelette.

I agree with what smithy1.0 said; protein helps control blood sugar levels, and is a very satiating nutrient..