A replacement for Richmond Park

holybinch
holybinch Posts: 417
edited September 2009 in Training, fitness and health
Hey guys (and gals)

Since it's now a pain to ride in RP, I'm looking for somewhere I can train during the week, preferably within 30mns from Ealing.

Any ideas?
FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris

Comments

• Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Hillingdon circuit.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • mzm70
    mzm70 Posts: 123
    +1 for Hillingdon see the Programme section here: http://www.hillingdoncyclecircuit.org.uk/

It's no RP and it can get quite monotonous on your own, it's just under a mile circuit and if no one has booked it it's free to use, it's not locked so is available 24x7. The thursday evening (open to all ) training session has officially ended but a number of people intend to continue through the winter (with lights).

HTH
  • Thanks guys, it's quite convenient for me to get there, and yes, it's no RP, but it's a lot better than open roads :D
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • Prob better than RP cos of no traffic as well. I'm thinking of making my way over there from work in Chiswick.
    There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday...

Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!
  • I use Hillingdon for sprint work all the time. Usually I'm the only one there!

Would probably get a bit boring going round and round there for any length of time, though... That said, if you're coming in from Ealing, the journey in up the Uxbridge Road will provide all the excitement you need and have you absolutely craving a couple of hours of traffic-free monotony! :)

With regards to RP, does anyone know when they're due to finish the resurfacing?
  • NO idea, but very happy to hear that another nutter does sprint work there!!! I do occasionally worry about taking a bad smash (broke a chain doing standing starts there!) and not being able to summon help- have spent some time working out: which jersey pocket could I get a phone out of with one broken arm/collar bone etc.....

From Ealing RP and Hillingdon circuit are great, but I do occasionally throw the bike in the car and park (15min later only) somewhere in Ick... (..field,.. enham???something) or Denham and ride out on much nicer roads.

Road surfaces around Ealing can be crappy as well....
    S.
    If you're as fat as me, all bikes are bendy.
  • gbs
    gbs Posts: 450
    Can any one suggest a tube/rail route to HC from Fulham please?. The website is not informative.
    vintage newbie, spinning away
  • mzm70
    mzm70 Posts: 123
    Hmmm, don't think that area is well served by rail. Although it's called the Hillingdon Circuit it's really closer to Southall and Hayes. It's just off the Uxbridge Road so somewhere like Ealing Broadway is fairly close.
    HTH
  • District line up to Ealing Broadway and then the mainline train out to Southall. From Southall station it's a 5 minute ride.

If you ride from Ealing Broadway up the Uxbridge road it's about 5 miles.
  • gbs
    gbs Posts: 450
    Thanks for the travel info. I might try the vets session on fridays.

BTW RP is now back to normal.
    vintage newbie, spinning away