Lunch time ride - What to do

BobScarle
BobScarle Posts: 282
edited September 2009 in Training, fitness and health
During this spell of good weather I have managed to get out at lunch time. As I can really only be away for an hour distance is somewhat limited. I have been riding a 14 mile loop, which includes a couple of hills, but nothing too serious. Average speed a little over 15mph. All I am doing is pushing as hard as I can, but it's the uphill bits that really knock the speed down.

I am trying to loose weight rather than train for racing or an event. So my question is, given the limited amount of time and therefore the limited distance, what would be the best use of that time? Should I do intervals or just concentrate on riding as hard as possible? The hills must get easier and therefore my average must improve.

Bob

Comments

• Bob,
    I'd do sprints if I were you.
    This should increase your overall fitmess which should help on the hills.
    Andy
  • A steady but hardish 45 mins (after a short warm up) will probably do more good for getting weight down than bursts of speed. The overall average speed may well be similar and you will get 'fitter' doing intervals but the extra effort might be too demanding, make you feel hungry etc. Riding steady but hardish often will be better than riding to vomit level now and again.
    Why not mix things up a bit - do short intervals one day, a steady ride the next, Longer intervals, attack the ups etc
  • attack the ups

That's what I did today. Went out on my usual 14 mile loop and rode slightly slower than I have been, but still maintaining a good speed. When I got to the uphill bits, I pushed a lot harder, not really sprinting, just working harder, for as long as I could manage. Must have done more as my thighs ache and that is not usual.

My average speed improved a little which probably shows how lazy I was on the hills. Another lunch time ride tomorrow then a longer ride on the weekend.

Thanks for your help.

Bob