'Fake' team jerseys on ebay? or older year versions?

Joe86
Joe86 Posts: 180
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Hey all

I spent most of my money on my bike, and I have actually been wearing tshirts on my rides. I have a tight budget, but I would like to get one or two jerseys to wear. I had a look at some of the prices of traditional cycling brands, and the prices were quite high. Anyway I noticed that Wiggle had some nice team jerseys for about £40, which is a little pricey for me, as I would have to buy two. So I have been browsing ebay, and found some really cheap team jerseys such as this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Barloworld-Avis-C ... 286.c0.m14

The actual shirt design and pattern seems quite different to that of Wiggle:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Nalin ... 360041609/

Anyway, are these fakes? Or are they jerseys from 2008, etc? And has anyone bought something like this? What was the quality like?

Thanks

Comments

• It is quite cheap, i would like to know also what is the quality like if anyone has bought some (sorry to jump in your post like that).
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
    Specialized Elite Allez with 105
    Rockrider 8.1 : )
  • Joe86
    jeannot18 wrote:
    It is quite cheap, i would like to know also what is the quality like if anyone has bought some (sorry to jump in your post like that).
    JC

No problem man, I was skeptical as to whether this forum was the place to ask, so thanks for showing an interest!

I have only took an interesting in cycling as a hobby and also viewing sport this year, so I have no idea if the jerseys are older year castoffs. But I'm guessing it is almost certain to be a fake at that price.
  • Considering that most of the stuff these days is made in China it may be worth the risk. But it would be nice to know if someone has got some and have some feedback. The shorts on some of the listing don't look too good, but maybe it is due to the fact that plastic dummies wear them.
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
    Specialized Elite Allez with 105
    Rockrider 8.1 : )
  • Prendas is the place to go. Some of their Santini jerseys are on sale at the moment, they're excellent. http://www.prendas.co.uk And not made in China.
    '07 Specialized Tricross Sport

Wilier Alpe D'Huez
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I brought a csc winter jacket from hong kong for £30 - don't know if it the real deal - but it looks and fits ok - and kept me warm last winter. Considering its half would I would havepaid in the shops it was worth taking the risk.
  • If you look at the Team Barloworld site, you can see that this design was the 2008 kit.

http://www.teambarloworld.com/gallery_sottocategory.php?id_cat=5&id_sot=44&l1=2&l2=5&l=1

It doesn't mean that the ebay ones are genuine, but the design certainly matches.

Cooke_Hunter_Gaspa.jpg

Edindevon
  • Joe86
    Edindevon wrote:
    If you look at the Team Barloworld site, you can see that this design was the 2008 kit.

http://www.teambarloworld.com/gallery_sottocategory.php?id_cat=5&id_sot=44&l1=2&l2=5&l=1

It doesn't mean that the ebay ones are genuine, but the design certainly matches.

Cooke_Hunter_Gaspa.jpg

Edindevon

Thanks :) I should have thought to check that :oops: but as you also stated, they are probably not genuine. I guess at that price it is worth a shot to see if the quality is OK.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Get your self down to Aldi, I bought some cracking shirts yesterday, long sleeve £7.99, short leave less than that. Ideal for the winter.
  • Joe86
    Slow-N-Old wrote:
    Get your self down to Aldi, I bought some cracking shirts yesterday, long sleeve £7.99, short leave less than that. Ideal for the winter.

:D I actually bought two of those, and they are pretty good. I did wear one the other day, but it isn't quite the weather for long sleeves, and I get really hot easily (I often run in a tshirt when its 3-4 degrees :D ). So I was looking to pick up a few cheap short sleeve jerseys, and I guess I missed my chance at Lidl/Aldi, because they are all on winter gear.
  • lmk1
    lmk1 Posts: 95
    the seller is also selling these... another thread here suggests these may have been
    over production from a factory looking to offload frames that a major manufacturer doesn't want. im considering buying but am wary

[url][/url][url][/url]http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Full-Carbon-3K-Weave-Road-Bike-Frameset-56cm_W0QQitemZ270459138047QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRoad_Bikes?hash=item3ef89eefff&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14
  • I purchased a Liquigas Bianchi one from a trader in HK as I could not get one to match my bike in this country. The quality is great, sizing was bigger than expected, is it genuine? not sure probably not but it has a YKK zip, the lettering and colours were spot on. I guess it is like the snide ipods made two factories away from the apple factory..............
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • Joe86
    Flanners1 wrote:
    I purchased a Liquigas Bianchi one from a trader in HK as I could not get one to match my bike in this country. The quality is great, sizing was bigger than expected, is it genuine? not sure probably not but it has a YKK zip, the lettering and colours were spot on. I guess it is like the snide ipods made two factories away from the apple factory..............

What size are you usually, and what size did you get? I'm also curious on your height, etc, as I don't know what size to go for. As they don't really give much info on appropiate sizing, and at 1.85m I should be an XXL according to their guide, but I'm not that big, and I'm about 86 kg. My Aldi long sleeve one is an L, and it has a full chest size for 106-111, so according to their guides of 1/2 chest, XL = 110 cm, so I think I will probably be an XL, as large is only 106 cm.

Cheers
  • I think they are fakes, as the sizing is way different to genuine Nalini jerseys.

However, email the seller and ask them if they are genuine – that way you should be covered for a refund if they turn out to be fakes.
  • I have bought a couple and only had to pay the postage and for the money you cannot complain they will last a season then throw them away!
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Joe86 wrote:
    What size are you usually, and what size did you get? I'm also curious on your height, etc, as I don't know what size to go for. As they don't really give much info on appropiate sizing, and at 1.85m I should be an XXL according to their guide, but I'm not that big, and I'm about 86 kg.

At that size, you would be a big Chinese guy !

These may be fakes, or they may be 'fell-off a lorry' from the China/Hong Kong factory, intended for the Asian market and with size tags to match.

I bought some Castelli bibshorts in Italy, ended-up buying XL : at 6ft and 75kg I've never been XL before !
    But on inspection, they have a label saying
    Italy - XL
    Germany - L
    USA - M
    Japan - XXL
  • Joe86
    andy_wrx wrote:
    Joe86 wrote:
    What size are you usually, and what size did you get? I'm also curious on your height, etc, as I don't know what size to go for. As they don't really give much info on appropiate sizing, and at 1.85m I should be an XXL according to their guide, but I'm not that big, and I'm about 86 kg.

At that size, you would be a big Chinese guy !

These may be fakes, or they may be 'fell-off a lorry' from the China/Hong Kong factory, intended for the Asian market and with size tags to match.

I bought some Castelli bibshorts in Italy, ended-up buying XL : at 6ft and 75kg I've never been XL before !
    But on inspection, they have a label saying
    Italy - XL
    Germany - L
    USA - M
    Japan - XXL

:lol: I did email some of the sellers, and they thought XL might be OK. But as you mentioned, they seem to be sized for the Asian market, so maybe an XXL may be a better option.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Those jerseys ARE fake. But if you don't mind wearing a fake jersey - they aren't THAT bad. The material isn't as good as the real thing, the colours and graphics aren't spot on and as crisp as they should be, etc. But they won't fall apart or anything.

I own mostly genuine replica jerseys, but DO own a few of these China fakes and they are fine for everyday cycling.
  • mikeq
    mikeq Posts: 141
    As they are of a previous seasons design it could be they are just trying to shift old stock, better to get something for them than not sell them
    Cycling from Glasgow to Paris to raise funds for Asthma UK

www.velochallenge.org
  • Joe86
    Pokerface wrote:
    Those jerseys ARE fake. But if you don't mind wearing a fake jersey - they aren't THAT bad. The material isn't as good as the real thing, the colours and graphics aren't spot on and as crisp as they should be, etc. But they won't fall apart or anything.

I own mostly genuine replica jerseys, but DO own a few of these China fakes and they are fine for everyday cycling.

Thanks for the clarification, I had imagined that to be the case. But it is nice to know that the quality is fairly decent, so I will go ahead and buy one. As a newbie, I don't really need something expensive, so as long as it does the job and will last, I'm OK that is not authentic.
  • Quality is fine for the cash, I am 6'1" 78kg 39" chest, I like 'em tight and L was ok but not tight when I was hacking down(and climbing) the Joux Plane in July!!!
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Sort of know what you mean by FAKE and then I think about it and don't know. If you
    know what I mean. Most jerseys that have some TEAM name / logo on them are not the jersey the guys on the actual pro team use. They are simply logos / team names that
    some jersey company has been licensed to use. Or in some cases they may simply be illegal KNOCKOFFS. In any case they could be, and are, often called team jerseys for no other reason than they have the team name on them. THEY always cost more than plain jerseys and are no better or worse than the average. Just a bit more colorful. Be aware that no one is fooled that you are ON THE TEAM. Everyone knows that it's a jersey you
    bought.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    dennisn wrote:
    Sort of know what you mean by FAKE and then I think about it and don't know. If you
    know what I mean. Most jerseys that have some TEAM name / logo on them are not the jersey the guys on the actual pro team use. They are simply logos / team names that
    some jersey company has been licensed to use. Or in some cases they may simply be illegal KNOCKOFFS. In any case they could be, and are, often called team jerseys for no other reason than they have the team name on them. THEY always cost more than plain jerseys and are no better or worse than the average. Just a bit more colorful. Be aware that no one is fooled that you are ON THE TEAM. Everyone knows that it's a jersey you
    bought.

There are the official replicas you can buy that are sanctioned by the teams themselves - and then there are the FAKES that are cheap China rip-offs. And, if you're really lucky - there is the actual kit that the pros wear - which can sometimes be found at the end of season on eBay. Sometimes even with the rider's names still on the tags, etc.

We're talking about the cheap China fakes - copies of the replica kit.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Pokerface wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    bought.

There are the official replicas you can buy that are sanctioned by the teams themselves - and then there are the FAKES that are cheap China rip-offs. And, if you're really lucky - there is the actual kit that the pros wear - which can sometimes be found at the end of season on eBay. Sometimes even with the rider's names still on the tags, etc.

We're talking about the cheap China fakes - copies of the replica kit.

Don't take this wrong, but I do love the term "official replica". :wink:
  • Penn
    Penn Posts: 22
    I brought a Cervelo jersey off ebay and it came from china and it was suppost to be the same as a jersey I already have (I have a real Cervelo jersey which I brought for £60) and it was a clear fake.

The material wasn't the same and was closer to something you would buy for £10 in Decathlon. I still wear it as I like to keep my expensive jersey from the wear and tear of commuting with a backpack. But to be fair, the fake one is still nice, just not as nice as the one 6x the price.

So Cervelo jerseys = fake
  • That seller (bycycle99) also sells cheap carbon frames that were mentioned in another thread a couple of weeks ago, they received a mixed review. If they did winter gear I'd probably buy it :)
  • Hello!

I wont to buy som jersey, and found this site http://www.4ucycling.com/. Have some of you buy something from there? It is copy, but is the quality good?
  • paulc33
    paulc33 Posts: 254
    I can't remember what the sellers name was now but I brought a pair of Astana replica shorts on eBay , so I had a second pair. Originals brought from evans!

The ones from eBay were clearly Fakes. Totally different colour and logos and a very poor quality short. I pointed this out to the seller and asked for a refund which he happily gave.

Majority of kits from china I would have though will be fakes but if the quality is good does it matter? I send these back as the quality was poor.
    2015 Specialized S-Works Tarmac - Ultegra Di2 (7.0kg)
    Kinesis Aithein - Ultegra mechanical (7.3kg)
    Kinesis Maxlight Xc130 - xt/ xtr (11.3kg)

spin to win!
  • Okey, but this is a store, isnt it difference then? And i found a new site like this: http://www.cheap-cycling.com/store/index.php/

About us:
    Q : Why the price in your web store is low?

A : As you know , many big companies (NIKE , Adidas , etc..) usually build some factories in China , Thailand to product the clothings for them , because the labor costs is very low.

We are the one of these factories.

All the clothings which producted by our factory , once they are delivered to US , UK , these price will grow up , but its real price is low.

Because we sell them to you directly , so the price is lower than official price!!

Do some of you think that the quality is good as the orginial? Have some of you buy something from this site?
    Predominately black and blue, there is room for Garmin on the front, while Cervélo’s ‘é’ features on the back. The team will have their next training camp in Calpe, Spain, later this month with Tyler Farrar set to lead them at the Tour Down Under
    Material: 90% Polyester and 10% Lycra
    COOLMAX:quick-dry function and make you feel more comfortable
    High quality tights fabric: light and decrease the wind
    Full zipper jersey with 3 rear pockets
    It can keep you dry and cool in the hot condition and warm in cold condition
    Even you’re sweaty,the Jersey never adhere to your skin

It sounds fantastic, but is it true?

Thank for all answers.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    It looks similar from the shot of the inside of the shorts to kit I bought last year off ebay (and am sitting in now after a ride) Decent kit for the price - team kit probably changes twice a year anyway now - so this kit is great for the money. Why pay Cervelo prices for kit that will be out dated by the Tour ?

(I see Assos are selling tops for £176 - I'd want it to pedal for that much)

Sizes are maybe a little smaller than some other kit, and I'd rather go thru ebay and buy off sellers who have good feedback than buy off the net from some unknown store.
  • Okey, so the quiality isnt top. Have you some name on ebay you will recommend?

Thanks for the help, i just want it so cheap as possible. But then the quality go down, like all others things.