First club run

Limburger
Limburger Posts: 346
edited September 2009 in Training, fitness and health
Hi all.
I'm new to the forum here (I have lurked on occasion whilst bored at work).
I would like to share my experience of my first club run with you. It was an 80km (closer to 90) tour of the back-roads of Twente at about 30-35km/h (The Netherlands - I'm and expat Brit). it was a great route too, well signed with some food included and a half way brevit for your €3 non-members entry fee. There must have been more that 100 people on the run. Cycling is much bigger here than in the UK. I can only remember ever seeing 3 roadies at while living in Sunderland.
It was a thoroughly enjoyable trip and I will be doing this much more often although the road season is ending and everyone trades in their skinny slicks for MTBs here in winter.

One thing I didn't enjoy however was the crashing. I crashed twice, once stupidly doing a U turn. The other was a huge 30km/h face-meets-asphalts affair with shouts for a medic - not from me mind; I'm English, and a man, I feel no pain.
Funny thing is I have been riding for a long time and crash very rarely on mu own. The last time was when passing out on a monster hill near Durham in some abhorrent heat.
Does anyone else find they crash more readily with others? Am I odd? (Steady)
Anyway, despite the blood and temporary numbness (you know where) I enjoyed myself. get to have a long afternoon trying to make my bike look less second hand (third in places)

coincidently I can attest that Solo Classique jerseys are surprisingly resistant to tarmac. I have some lovely cuts on top of my shoulder with no marks left on the jersey.

Met vriendelijke groeten
God made the Earth. The Dutch made The Netherlands

FCN 11/12 - Ocasional beardy