Sports testing

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited September 2009 in Training, fitness and health
Due to my limited weekly training time I have to train very efficiently to get the best out of my sessions.

I have decided to go to see a sports scientist to get a full test done to give me all my facts and figures, training zones and to formulate a training plan for me.

I'll report back on Mon afternoon...

Comments

• Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    Why not just get a coach?

Maybe one that understands power meters very well, has access to the forum and has experience with riding with one leg. I can't think of anyone off hand, but there's bound to be someone.
  • Anonymous
    Because of the monthly fee.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Yeah, do what I and a few others did at Bangor Uni Sports Science lab: Ride in a Temperature Controlled Test Chamber, for 2 hrs at 60 per cent max HR. First weeks at minus 7 degrees, second week at plus 30 degree. Fasting the 12hrst before, only water during the test. Oh, and a rectal thermometer up yer bum!

Took blood after too...

Prior to this, you got a free Vo2 Max test, with Max HRs and training zones worked out.
    Hundreds of quid's saved!

Test were to look at bodies reaction to training/immune system response.

Guess which 2 hr ride was the hardest?

( By the way, I'm a BC/BSCA/ABCC Coach.)
  • Anonymous
    Thankfully this will be testing me, not for research :shock:
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    You have limited time and a power meter, you would benefit enormously from a coach IMO.
  • Will be interested to see how this goes if you are still doing full nights and the like....a while back a workmate religiously recorded heart rate data for 6 months or so and vo2max data...no suprises that on or after nights he lost abot 12-20% of fitness with way higher hr readings for the same reward...sadly no power meters around back then apart from the pro`s, but it goes to show that recovery is everything I guess.....
    Started to get back in the swing after almost 18months of illness but taking it real easy especially on the bike with perhaps 2 rides a week.
    Having said that I scorched 6 miles running today so mixing it all up a bit and feeling better for it cyclings great but to get much better you need so much time which is a bummer the running seems ideal if time is low hopefully start running to work in the winter to keep ticking over whilst I peruse a cyclocross purchase as my one and only steed.....
  • Anonymous
    Infamous wrote:
    You have limited time and a power meter, you would benefit enormously from a coach IMO.

I know.

I can't afford one.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Whilst I guess a coach can be a good thing I think for most of us and our relatively low performance it's not really rocket science to make improvements. I've used a coach a couple of times and didn't really find it more useful than following Joe Friel or the like. Now I just do what i feel like 'cos I realised I enjoyed it more that way and it's not like we do it for a living.
    I find that even though I only do 7 hours a week being consistant is as important as packing in the hours. Also have long term, year round, goals which means don't just launch it intense training now if you want to do sportives next summer. Make the smallest possible steps to reach your goals. Enjoy it!!
  • Anonymous
    The test was excellent, very eye opening.

I am run down at the moment as in the last two months I have had about 4 days off and have been working all sorts of shifts (the days before the test I did 6 nights on the bounce) which could well have affected me...

However, I have an inspiring training plan.

One thing I was shocked with was my body fat, it's nearly 30%! I'm carrying round 27kg of fat!!

I now have very specific training zones tailored perfectly to me. When the weight comes off, if my power stays the same I'll have a good power to weight ratio that should see me do well in cat 3 races apparently...
  • inseine
    Hopefully you'll have the power to do well in third cat races. You say you've got good top end so you might actually do really well, though on the other hand if you can't ride in a bunch, are tactically poor etc you might be horrible! Either way you'll thank yourself for loosing the weight. Good luck.
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    One thing I was shocked with was my body fat, it's nearly 30%! I'm carrying round 27kg of fat!!

Had you been using fat-measuring scales at home before? The reason I ask is that I'm using a set (although for weight mainly) and wonder how accurate they are. I suspect that the answer is "not very" although hopefully they would show trends.
  • Anonymous
    edited September 2009
    No, I've never measured it before.

Mine was measured using proper calipers and stuff by the good Dr man...
  • inseine
    I think they may be OK in a relative sense but in absolute terms my experience is that they are not at all accurate. Just jump up and down infront of a mirror and see what wobbles (that shouldn't!).