Bored of training alone

sturmey
sturmey Posts: 964
edited September 2009 in Training, fitness and health
If anyone in the area wants to join me any time then give me a shout. I go out about 3 times per week and do 40-60 miles depending on time available.
Not sure how I would rate my ability as I don't compete though I recently did the Manchester 100 in a time of 5hrs18mins on my winter bike.
I am out for a ride tomorrow morning 10'oclockish. If anyone wants to join me I can meet anywhere to suit.

Comments

• Edwin
    Edwin Posts: 785
    Have you looked up your local club(s)? Try a few club runs and you should meet a few people who are roughly the right standard. Most clubs have a few runs on the same day catering for different abilities, or for slower runs maybe try your local CTC...
  • sturmey
    I have turned up a couple of times recently at local clubrun meeting points but no cyclists in sight-only tumbleweed.
  • Edwin
    Edwin Posts: 785
    Hmm, I'm surprised at that given Manchester is such a large city. There's a few forum users from round that way though - you could meet up with the legendary Bhima if he turns up :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    sturmey wrote:
    If anyone in the Trafford/South manchester area wants to join me any time then give me a shout. I go out about 3 times per week and do 40-60 miles depending on time available.
    Not sure how I would rate my ability as I don't compete though I recently did the Manchester 100 in a time of 5hrs18mins on my winter bike.
    I am out for a ride tomorrow morning 10'oclockish. If anyone wants to join me I can meet anywhere to suit.

Manchester Wheeler's club run meets at the Gateway pub at Parrswood. Perfect I would have thought?
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Come to a wheelers ride on Sunday, I'm going to, I think bhima is too, be interesting to see how he has progressed from our last meeting.

http://www.manchesterwheelers.co.uk/rid ... detail.htm
  • freehub wrote:
    interesting to see how he has progressed from our last meeting.

Keep us updated :P
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    freehub wrote:
    interesting to see how he has progressed from our last meeting.

Keep us updated :P
    +2
  • sturmey
    Thanks for the info. Interesting to see details of their routes.
    Personally, I hate cycling the stockbroker belt (Alderley Edge,Wilmslow,Macclesfield etc)at weekends-too much traffic/roadworks/potholes I usually find.
    I prefer heading out west myself at weekends. Though I do sometimes venture that way during midweek rides.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    I'm round the corner from the trafford centre. Not sure if I'm out this sunday, sisters birthday so out saturday night but if you fancy any wheelers clubruns give us a shout. Although 90% of them go out through wilmslow/alderley/macclesfield tbh!!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    sturmey wrote:
    Thanks for the info. Interesting to see details of their routes.
    Personally, I hate cycling the stockbroker belt (Alderley Edge,Wilmslow,Macclesfield etc)at weekends-too much traffic/roadworks/potholes I usually find.
    I prefer heading out west myself at weekends. Though I do sometimes venture that way during midweek rides.

It's fine when you're in a group.
  • sturmey
    Not sure if I'm out this sunday, sisters birthday so out saturday night but if you fancy any wheelers clubruns give us a shout

Ok.Cheers.
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Yes, i'm in old trafford. There's a few cyclists round here. I might have to organise a ride at some point...

I find that a good area is down the A56 through Sale, towards Hale and then out through Dunham Massey/Broomedge/High Legh going towards Northwich. Then back up through the lanes towards Lymm or East towards Knutsford will take you back towards the A56. If you avoid rushour times, the A56 can be an incredibly fast road. It's pan-flat and straight characteristics promote extreme headwinds/tailwinds. As far as I know, it's the only decent way of avoiding the crappy Wilmslow/Alderley Edge/Stockport roads when getting to the good roads in Cheshire...
  • sturmey
    [
    Yes, i'm in old trafford. There's a few cyclists round here. I might have to organise a ride at some point...

I find that a good area is down the A56 through Sale, towards Hale and then out through Dunham Massey/Broomedge/High Legh going towards Northwich. Then back up through the lanes towards Lymm or East towards Knutsford will take you back towards the A56. If you avoid rushour times, the A56 can be an incredibly fast road. It's pan-flat and straight characteristics promote extreme headwinds/tailwinds. As far as I know, it's the only decent way of avoiding the crappy Wilmslow/Alderley Edge/Stockport roads when getting to the good roads in Cheshire

. I also go out a lot of the time through Carrington and Partington and then over Warburton toll bridge where you can turn right up the A57 then turn left for Culcheth and Glazebury. I then head back through the outskirts of Warrington where I then take the A50 to Knutsford then onto Chelford then various routes back home. I choose this run because there are long stretches where there is no stopping and lthe volume of traffic is reasonably light. I can empathise with those first few miles of your journey-not the greatest on a bike.