Retired Pro: What would you rather have won?

sonny73
sonny73 Posts: 2,203
edited September 2009 in Pro race
You are a pro cyclist who has just retired having only ever won one major race (not including the overall in a tour); what would you prefer that to be from the following?

A Grand Tour Stage.
One of the Monuments.
The Worlds.
A Classic/Other.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Olympic Road race cause you would be champ for 4 years! Oh, and you'd get some recognition from the British public for it...
  • sonny73
    edited September 2009
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Olympic Road race cause you would be champ for 4 years! Oh, and you'd get some recognition from the British public for it...

:oops: Forgot that option :oops: deserves to be a standalone one really too.

I would have to go with a Tour de France stage finishing on Alpe d'Huez for sure.
  • The Worlds, I just love the last two laps of every race. The build up, the attacks, the suspense, the elation at the finish line. If I could prove myself to be good enough to win after all that, against all of the best riders, and then wear the jersey for the next year.

In terms of the others, GT stages can often be gifted, so you wouldn't necessarily have to work for it.

Cav proved that even by winning a Monument, nobody really paid much attention until he didn't win the Track Worlds and he had to defend himself. And if that's for one of the biggest classics of them all then who'd care if you were to win Fleche Brabanconne?

P.S. Is this another pub generated question? Do you guys just talk about cycling in your pub, it sounds cool.... ;)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    World Champs (assuming it's the Road Race you mean, not the TT)

1. You get wear the jersey for a year when the curse isn't in effect
    2. The general public can relate to the title 'World Champion' even if they no nothing of cycling.
    3. I think cycling fans would remember you longer than the others.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    A monument. Specifically Roubaix or Flanders.

But then retire to Belgium.

Strava is not Zen.
  • sonny73
    P.S. Is this another pub generated question? Do you guys just talk about cycling in your pub, it sounds cool.... ;)

Not this time :D I was just listening to the Vuelta and it got me thinking as to what I'd rather win if I was a retired pro having only won the one race.
  • calvjones wrote:
    A monument. Specifically Roubaix or Flanders.

But then retire to Belgium.

I like this answer. Add to it a stage in the Tour then to retire to France, or take it a step further, if you never won a race in your career but only wore the Yellow Jersey for a day or two, I think I'd take that
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    World's - not only do you get to wear the jersey for a year, but you get to wear the stripes for life.
  • A mountain stage in the Tour with a 200km solo breakaway including two cat1 two cat2 and 1 HC climbs.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Roubaix. Defo.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    A monument - Roubaix, Flanders or Liege would do.

There are potentially ~ 60 GT stages per year. Hardly exclusive.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Roubaix or the Worlds - probably Paris Roubaix but the chance to wear the WC stripes for life would be nice.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Either the Worlds or Roubaix.

If you only ever win 1 stage of a GT, then that means you probably won one of those transitional breakaway stages where no-one gives a crap and forgets about it 2 days later. (Hellooooo Anthony Roux!)

You can dine out on a monument for the rest of your life.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Definitely a monument.

1 GT stage would be forgotten about very quickly, unless it's in an iconic place against a top contender or you managed to get the leader's jersey.
    World Championships - well, I wouldn't want to be World Champ without winning a major race while wearing the rainbow jersey.
    I'd be happy to get a classic, but why eat a stickleback when you could eat trout?

A monument would make you a legend for life in the area it passes through.

Give me Milan-San Remo or Giro di Lombardia please - with those two you'd have less chance of rubbish weather spoiling your big day than Flanders, Roubaix or L-B-L.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Monument, definitely - Paris Roubaix or Flanders, and never need to buy another drink in Flanders for the rest of your life.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Tour of Lombardy, Sean Kelly style.
    And then marry a podium girl.
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Flanders. Then between Sean Kelly, Stephen Roche and myself an Irishman will have won every GT, Monument and the World Championships.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • A toss up between a victory on the Alpe,or the Ventoux
    The Dolomites are truely awesome,but most people don't recognise that,am sure the Vuelta has some awesome mountain top finishes also,but,again,lack of public recognition :(
    so many cols,so little time!
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Paris-Roubaix for sure. Although, victory on Alpe d;huez or Zoncolan is pretty cool too.
  • Other - Euro Millions So I could get off this f*cking bike !
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • Great thread!

Giro Climbers Jersey, so much history and it's never gone to a Virenque style effort.

If that's not allowed, I'll take Roubaix in the style of Jacky Durand.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I'd not win anything. I'd prefer to dwell in the middle, moan about cycling at 2 speeds and just be rubbish.

I wouldn't have many memories but at least BikingBernie wouldn't hate me.

:wink:

On a seriously note : A wet, cold Paris - Roubaix with a 50km solo ride to the finish holding off a couple of other strong men by 20-30 seconds would do me.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    A wet, cold Paris - Roubaix with a 50km solo ride to the finish holding off a couple of other strong men by 20-30 seconds would do me.

So you want to be Museeuw then?
  • xraymtb
    xraymtb Posts: 121
    Worlds

The public would recognise the achievement and you would always be wearing something to remind you.
    exercise.png
  • Dgh
    Dgh Posts: 180
    Worlds or Paris-Roubaix. Win the Worlds and no-one expects you to win anythign the next season, but if it's a crap course it's less prestigious. Most people who can win other big ones seem to avoid Paris Roubaix, so you can say they were dodging you.
  • Woosha
    Woosha Posts: 150
    The worlds you get the Jersey and the stipes for life.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Most people who can win other big ones seem to avoid Paris Roubaix, so you can say they were dodging you.

I think that should read:

Most people who hope can win other big ones seem to avoid Paris Roubaix, but they know they don't posses the luck, strength and stamina to have a hope in hell
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Any Monument for my Dreams.
    Preferably the Doyen at Liege. ? To be known as a real All Round Racing Man and not just a Big Gear merchant.
    That would still get the beers in Flanders and Walloon. !

But to retire as a former World Champion would give me the World recognition (and beers) and on a PAR with all the other Sports of being a Retired World Champion.

To the general public the only question is what year.
    I was a Road Cycling World Champion. wow, Dream on Baby.

Remember Lancy baby is Lucky enough to say that and we know it's a bit like a Grand National Horse Race. ??

To do a Giani Bugno (one after the other) or Oscar Freire (with three wins) means a bit more than just Lucky, but I would be more than happy with just one.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Most people who can win other big ones seem to avoid Paris Roubaix, so you can say they were dodging you.

I think that should read:

Most people who hope can win other big ones seem to avoid Paris Roubaix, but they know they don't posses the luck, strength and stamina to have a hope in hell

so true Monty Dog, there's no reason why Indurain, Evans , Armstrong could't have made attempts at Paris Roubaix...Fignon and Lemond took it damned seriously and not one grand tour winner since has even started it...no grand tour GC winner since has made it a target..
  • skut
    skut Posts: 371
    Winning the Worlds sounded good at first but then I remembered Igor Astarloa.

I'd take Flanders instead I think....