One leg bigger than the other

taz3611
taz3611 Posts: 172
edited September 2009 in Training, fitness and health
Hi,
I'm hoping someone with some medical experience can explain to me why the muscle on the outside of my thigh, just above the knee is bigger on my left leg than on my right. The other muscles on my legs are all of an equal size on each leg. I assume it's something to do with bike position or body shape but I need to know what really, and how to correct it. Help!

Comments

• xraymtb
    xraymtb Posts: 121
    Dominance. You may be pedalling harder with one leg than the other.

Do you do any other sports? People who do lots of kicking (football/rugby) can develop unbalanced legs due to the different motions.
    exercise.png
  • taz3611
    taz3611 Posts: 172
    I don't do any other sports. I am left leg dominant if I do though. Would it have an effect if I had one leg longer than the other, by putting the muscle though a larger range of movement? I also heard something about a slightly twisted pelvis causing muscle imbalance and this was what got me wondering.
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    Might be worth visiting a Chiropractor, he may sort out your imbalance if it's due to a twisted pelvis.

Basically when you lack something you gain it elsewhere, for example:

A blind person may have a better sense of smell or hearing.
    A deaf person may have a better sense of smell or sight.
    Whereas you usually find somebody with a short leg usually has a longer one to compensate :D