RPCC Ride + ToB Finale - Sat 19th Sept

Rich-Ti
Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
Could be a good one this weekend chaps and chapesses - the Tour of Britain is in town! :D 8)

Plan is for an earlier start - most likely 8am. This'll give us time to do a decent run out into Surrey, aim to be back around 12ish, except that "back" really means "a pub in Thames Ditton where we can grab a pint and some lunch". We will then head out to somewhere in the vicinity of Whitehall to set up camp and watch the ToB Finale fly by.

I have to shoot off to Wembley so personally will probably depart as soon as the ToB has finished, but no doubt more pints might be had post-race should a decent crowd be sticking around to be more sociable than me!

So, for those of you coming to join us and talking about the 'normal' ride, usual meet & ride plan:
    :arrow: 8am start on Saturday is most likely this week :arrow: Richmond Gate in Richmond Park, south side (on the left as you come up Sawyer's Hill / on the right if you come through Richmond Gate), by the little white building :arrow: 80-120k @ 24-28kph / 50-75 miles @ 15-18mph
usually, but nobody gets dropped*
:arrow: Boxhill is almost definite (as is a short tea / cake / toilet / bottle refill stop at the top - usually around 15-20mins)
:arrow: Notes regarding the faster 'hoonfest' ride are listed below should a fast ride be mentioned...
I say it every week but I'm not going to stop: I'd like to emphasise that new faces are more than welcome and actively encouraged, and that applies to lurkers / long-time 'thread watchers' / any who haven't been able to make it along previously / those who don't want to commit on here but might feel like turning up on the day - please do join us if you want to! Be good to see some of the faces we have seen over the past months re-appear too! 8)

A collection point at Hampton Court can be arranged as that tends to be the route out. Please let us know if you need to take this option - it's usually just a fly-by quick hello and on the move again so if you plan to use this option we need to know, and please be on time (although there can sometimes be delays getting moving at Richmond Park so there is the potential for us to be a little late coming through). Collection time there is likely to be around 20-30mins after the agreed RP start time so again, keep an eye out.

So, who is about this weekend, which day, which ride, what kind of ride and what start time? :shock: 8) :D

* Please note that faster rides (affectionately referred to as 'hoonfests') have been heading out of late where the average speed is upped to around 32-35kph / 20-22mph over 80km / 50 miles - where this is the case it will be announced as a faster ride, but please be aware that if you get dropped you may not find anyone waiting for you (although you should find a chance to re-group on Box Hill). These rides usually head out on a Sunday and usually follow the same route each time so if you want to have a go please register your interest and make sure you get a route download from someone. Thanks. Note that the 'normal pace' ride often still goes out on the same weekend so that option should still be available to you.

Comments

• tyskie
    tyskie Posts: 252
    8am out and back by 12 sounds good Rich - count me in. I'm going home first before heading to the ToB as I'm dragging the missus along.
  • I'll be there at 8am*
    I'd favour a short ride again. I'm trying to save my legs for Sunday so no hooning for me.
    *probably 8.03 :wink:
  • I'm in for 8am.
  • Berns12
    Berns12 Posts: 198
    In for 8am as I am now moving house the following weekend.

What are we going to do about bikes at the TOB? Do we stand at the back with our bikes? Or is the crowd fairly sparse so it shouldn't be a problem?
  • voxegam
    voxegam Posts: 244
    Going back to Uni this Friday.....So I'll see you all at Christmas time!....its been good to ride with everyone this summer.....try not to miss me too much :roll: ......have a good ride! :lol:
    Trek Madone 6.5 Pro
    Planet-X (now winter-bike)
  • Mark73
    Mark73 Posts: 146
    Gutted - Not going to be able to make this. Away on Friday and not back till late Saturday.

Have a great ride though and enjoy the TOB. Hopefully see you at the next one.
  • Myk-ee
    Myk-ee Posts: 276
    voxegam wrote:
    Going back to Uni this Friday.....So I'll see you all at Christmas time!.

:cry:
    It's the vibe of the thing.
  • J09
    J09 Posts: 122
    Count me in for the 8am start. But I have the same doubt as Berns... What do we do with the bikes???
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    I cant make 8am.... which I guess makes me out. Perhaps I can come for the 'social' bits ;), or just have one last pop at 6 minutes up Box Hill for the year
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    *dons sensible hat*

Just a note to be careful on the gravel that's been laid down to resurface Richmond Park when you're arriving to meet up folks - it ain't pretty in there at the moment, and we'll definitely be going out of Richmond Gate and down the hill to start the ride.
  • J09 wrote:
    Count me in for the 8am start. But I have the same doubt as Berns... What do we do with the bikes???

Was fine last year with the bikes. Busy right on the finish line but plenty of room along Embankment.
  • Rich-Ti
    Was fine last year with the bikes. Busy right on the finish line but plenty of room along Embankment.
    So you're basically saying we stay with them / sit on them, right?
  • Yep.
  • morph
    morph Posts: 63
    Short time lurker here... Was planning on giving one of the London Dynamo lap sessions a go, but given the condition of the roads round the park I might leave that a couple of weeks and do this.

Will be interesting to see how the backside handles it - first time I've done more than 1 1/2 hours straight for a long time!
  • morph wrote:
    Short time lurker here... Was planning on giving one of the London Dynamo lap sessions a go, but given the condition of the roads round the park I might leave that a couple of weeks and do this.
    !
    Dear Morph,
    Look forward to seeing you another Saturday with the Dynamos, but you're foresight is accurate and the saturday morning club ride has been cancelled due to the shortage of steamrollers.
    Nick
  • Rich-Ti wrote:
    *dons sensible hat*

Just a note to be careful on the gravel that's been laid down to resurface Richmond Park when you're arriving to meet up folks - it ain't pretty in there at the moment, and we'll definitely be going out of Richmond Gate and down the hill to start the ride.

Assuming the section from Sheen miniroundabout to Richmond is still bad, but that the ballet school route from sheen miniroundabout through the middle (and right at the cafe) is not resurfaced, we could meet at Kingston Gate, but by the sounds of it we still get caught between Ham and Kingston (is that less horrid than sheen to Richmond?). Would reduce town miles, however.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • phips wrote:
    8.03 my ars*. It'll be 8:10 at the earliest, and we all know it.
    Well, Rich is usually after me and he lives 9 miles closer to Richmond Gate :P
    phips wrote:
    voxegam - until next hols It's bin a pleasure. Well, pain, actually.
    We can always reminisce:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O297tQvkSOE :wink:
    Hope you're back on the bike soon James.
  • Rich-Ti
    We can always reminisce:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O297tQvkSOE :wink:
    Hope you're back on the bike soon James.
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

"she fell over, she fell over..." :wink::lol: :roll:

Cheers James - been a pleasure buddy. Can you make sure you get a bit slower for your next hol though please? :shock:
  • felgen
    voxegam wrote:
    Going back to Uni this Friday.....So I'll see you all at Christmas time!....its been good to ride with everyone this summer.....try not to miss me too much :roll: ......have a good ride! :lol:
    Ok now he's gone I can beat his Box Hill time, and theres nowt he can do about it until Chrimbo ;)
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • voxegam
    voxegam Posts: 244
    How noble of you Felgen......get me when I'm crippled and away at Uni!!!

Having said that.....you and your 94kg will earn massive man-points if you beat 5.58....

.....go on.....I challenge you!
    Trek Madone 6.5 Pro
    Planet-X (now winter-bike)
  • I hope to be in for the proceedings this Saturday; 2nd time out with the RPCC and looking forward to it after pretty much three weeks off the bike :shock:

I've just bought a computer too, so my effort up Box Hill will be recorded this time.....

Tyskie- I owe you an inner tube, if you're around let me know and I'll bring one along.

Simon.
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • felgen
    voxegam wrote:
    How noble of you Felgen......get me when I'm crippled and away at Uni!!!
    Have you ever noticed how the scaphoid casts are just the right shape for holding a beer without having to use your hand muscles?.....
    voxegam wrote:
    Having said that.....you and your 94kg will earn massive man-points if you beat 5.58....
    .....go on.....I challenge you!
    Challenge duly noted, and will be attempted. Biggest problem is getting up the wherewithal to go do any riding after I ride 180-200miles a week to work - which incidentally means I am 89ish kg now as a result of massive increase in calorie expenditure whilst watching the intake. Does that weight loss affect the number of man points on offer?

Seriously, get well soon, and we will see you at Christmas, when Wilf will be doing some bike-related stunts on ice for youtube viewers.[/quote]
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • The emu
    The emu Posts: 347
    Yep up for Saturday.

Why don't we meet at same gate but then exit out and just take Mikeys fave route to other side of Kingston via Bushy Park?

Loved the sound affects on the crash too....good to see it's not just me, and would it be adolescent of me to say I watched a replay of it at least 5 times :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

London pub for lunch and then should be able to just remain quite mobile with bikes and watch the race, as Al mentioned crowds don't really get that bad.

The long grazed legged one
  • This time I will make it!

Is it ok if I bring a mate along?
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • holybinch wrote:
    This time I will make it!

Is it ok if I bring a mate along?

Yep :)
  • The emu wrote:
    Yep up for Saturday.

Why don't we meet at same gate but then exit out and just take Mikeys fave route to other side of Kingston via Bushy Park?

Loved the sound affects on the crash too....good to see it's not just me, and would it be adolescent of me to say I watched a replay of it at least 5 times :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

London pub for lunch and then should be able to just remain quite mobile with bikes and watch the race, as Al mentioned crowds don't really get that bad.

I dare say that that run up to Box Hill is cursed, having suffered a similar slow-mo fall to the ground on my last visit (and a subsequent puncture), though nobody was around to capture the event on film! I seem to remember some other cyclist fixing a puncture on that same spot a the time too...... or it may be because I too spent 15 minutes replaying and howling over that clip a few weeks ago- punished! :D
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • Is this going to be a fast ride? As the park's off limits for the moment I'd be keen to smash out a short hills ride.
  • Berns12
    Berns12 Posts: 198
    morph wrote:

Will be interesting to see how the backside handles it - first time I've done more than 1 1/2 hours straight for a long time!

We don't drop anyone, as long as you can muster up some determination you will be fine.

And make sure you give the Dynamo laps a go once the roads are fixed. As a Dynamo member myself I haven't been going regularly over the summer but every time I go I get a massive buzz

See you Saturday
  • mark_d wrote:
    Is this going to be a fast ride? As the park's off limits for the moment I'd be keen to smash out a short hills ride.
    This one won't be a hoon-fest but the pace should be steady.