Garmin Edge 705 Query

brucey72
brucey72 Posts: 1,086
edited September 2009 in Training, fitness and health
I bought a Garmin Edge 705 about 3 weeks ago and all has been well. As advised by a few people, I have been uploading all my info onto SportsTracks(ST) although I have been uploading to Garmin Connect (GC) as well.

The problem is that I don't seem to be able to upload my last 2 training sessions into either ST or GC. They appear(ed) in the history on my Garmin but don't seem to transfer onto my computer when linked with the cable provided.

I thought it might be because I didn't have the latest software, so uploaded 2.9 from the Garmin website only to find that my Garmin has been reset and ALL the rides that were in my Garmin have disappeared and all my settings such as screen data reset to default!!! Its a bit annoying because there is a loop I do reguarly and like to use the virtual partner to track progress (or lack of it) and I spent a while setting the data screen to my preferences.

Any ideas why information is not being uploaded from the Garmin to ST or GC as before and is it usual for the Garmin to be reset when updating software?

Any help would be much appreciated

Comments

• jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    You were right to upgrade to 2.90, older versions can certainly cause corrupted files, the fact you lost your settings was a shame, but any upgrade up to above 2.80 did that.

Look at the system as a drive, when it's plugged in a drive E:\ (or whatever drive you have) will appear, navigate to it, look at E:\Garmin\History\ are the rides from the date you had still there?

If they're not there at all, look in the Laps, to see if they're there, if they are, you might be able to retrieve the data, however some parts of it may be lost. Upgrading to 2.90 was the way to stop this happening going forward, the older firmwares were unfortunately buggy on occasion.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • brucey72
    Thanks for the quick reply. I have just had a look in F/Garmin/History and, yes, the rides are there but are only 54 and 38kb size files respectively which is odd because all my other rides are 240 - 1400 kb. I suspect that there may have been a file corruption which, as you say, will hopefully be fixed with the updated software.

I am out for a spin tomorrow so will try and upload my data afterwards and will no doubt be back here again if the problem persists.

Brucey
  • You can drag those files to your desktop and import them through Garmin Training Centre by selecting Import History.

Also, if you find the files are corrupt there's a great TUT on the net about editing the XML so that you can get it to import... If I remember the link, I'll come back and edit this post.

[edit]
    I found it... It was a little confusing at first, but when I sussed it, it was easy:

http://www.photoscene.com/kimandsteve/4 ... -tcx-files
    My cycle blog at www.biking2work.co.uk and check out www.fightbaddriving.co.uk.
  • brucey72
    jobysp wrote:
    You can drag those files to your desktop and import them through Garmin Training Centre by selecting Import History.

Also, if you find the files are corrupt there's a great TUT on the net about editing the XML so that you can get it to import... If I remember the link, I'll come back and edit this post.

[edit]
    I found it... It was a little confusing at first, but when I sussed it, it was easy:

http://www.photoscene.com/kimandsteve/4 ... -tcx-files

Thanks for that. Just worked through it and it has sorted my corrupted files. I agree, its a little complicated to begin with. The updated firmware seems to have worked as well becasue I had no problem uploading todays ride.
  • No worries :)
    My cycle blog at www.biking2work.co.uk and check out www.fightbaddriving.co.uk.