Pedalling thought excercises

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,388
edited September 2009 in Training, fitness and health
Hi Guys

I have a tour planned for next week and whilst i'm cycling along the dull bits I would like to try and work on my pedal technique (which according to my go on the wattbike at manchester velodrome is atrocious!)

I find the best way of doing this is to use some "thought excercises" or "visualisations" - Does anyone have any good ones? Obviously the one legged pedalling is not advisable on a loaded bike but are there similar ones?)

Cheers
DaveK
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• What on earth did the Wattbike suggest was wrong?

I sure hope it's not another "spinscam"-like analysis.

Honestly, the best thing to do is pedal in such a manner that you don't think about it. It should become an automatic, natural thing to do.

It would be better to:
    - make sure you have a good position on the bike (bike is well suited to you), and
    - Focus on the effort and train to improve power.

Worrying about "pedalling technique" is bass ackwards.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Like scraping mud off the sole of your shoe is supposed to be the "correct technique".......whatever that is. :P
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    edited September 2009
    welll like the advert on the homepage here every now and again....my "circle" was crap - Also, when my mate (who is a far superior cyclist to me!) did it on one setting he produced a near perfect sine wave image wheras mine looked like a particularly complex stylolite (geology joke there) i.e - no smoothness at all

it is something I know I'm dreadful at cos i constanlty spin out on the MTB where others do not.....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    welll like the advert on the homepage here every now and again....my "circle" was crap - Also, when my mate (who is a far superior cyclist to me!) did it on one setting he produced a near perfect sine wave image wheras mine looked like a pareticularly complex stylolite (geology koke there) i.e - no smoothness at all

it is something I know I'm dreadful at cos i constanlty spin out on the MTB where others do not.....
    What matters is how much power you can produce, not the pretty charts from some false analysis of pedalling from an ergobike.

If you spin out, then use a bigger gear. Maybe the occasional drill each week pedalling a bit quicker than normal but keeping the power up.