Llandegla - Report on page 2!

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    What DH trcks have you ridden? :shock:
    the Black is most definitely an XC course. An incredibly smooth one, as these things go.
  • The Northern Monkey
    The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
    edited September 2009
    lol I didn't say it was DH!! Just not very cross country!

The black at Glentress... now thats a black XC!
  • Anonymous
    Although it's more flowy than most, it definitely falls into the "welsh XC" slot.
  • I guess I just don't associate jumps with XC thats all..
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Never been, but looks like form pics as a smooth but fast XC track with some table top jumps.
  • Anonymous
    Glas you enjoyed it though.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Never been, but looks like form pics as a smooth but fast XC track with some table top jumps.
    I do know what you're getting at... but I don't think that the black would have been as fun on a short travel xc rig.

As I said though, I shall be back on the On-One asap :D
  • Anonymous
    Well, descending is always fun on a bike that can take a beating. That's why my bikes are built like they are. Going uphill is just a means to an end :lol:

Seriously thoug, I've seen some XC whippets go round the blacks that would wipe the floor with most people on all-mountain bikes.
  • Glas you enjoyed it though.

Aye it was a good day out!

Just not what I was expecting I guess.... but now I know :wink:

Just think how my bro felt on his Kona Stinky!! I thought I was over biked! :lol:
    Somehow I don't think he enjoyed it as much as me!
  • supersonic
    I like table tops as they have a built in chicken run on top! You can ride them how you like - squash them, roll them, big air, manual accross.

Now doubles with near vert ramps and 15 ft between them. Not the same!
  • Well, descending is always fun on a bike that can take a beating. That's why my bikes are built like they are. Going uphill is just a means to an end :lol:

Seriously thoug, I've seen some XC whippets go round the blacks that would wipe the floor with most people on all-mountain bikes.

Lol yea, there was a lad on a cheapy scott xc bike with some RS darts on the front.... Saw him sticking his full face on at the top of the black!! I thought fair play to him, but he did take quite a while getting down!

I do like uphill though, its tought on my bike but makes the downs a lot more rewarding (hense the love of the black probably!).
  • supersonic wrote:
    I like table tops as they have a built in chicken run on top! You can ride them how you like - squash them, roll them, big air, manual accross.

Now doubles with near vert ramps and 15 ft between them. Not the same!

Hehe true... they make a trail more suited to more people..

Got some videos of the black downs, so hopefully theres some nice shots to stick up.
  • me and me mate have done the red a few times and being fairly new, decided not to try the black just yet. i definately am NOT a jumper, would you advise avoiding the black if you`re not into jumps?
    It`s changed a bit since...
    2010 Zesty 314
  • kopite1979
    Nah, it can all be rolled if you don't fancy it.

Its fairly smooth with some nice berms and table tops... just take it as fast as youfeel comfortable!
  • Anonymous
    kopite1979 wrote:
    me and me mate have done the red a few times and being fairly new, decided not to try the black just yet. i definately am NOT a jumper, would you advise avoiding the black if you`re not into jumps?
    yes, by all means. All of them can be rolled over.
    Jumping is my weak spot, but I'm fine on the ones in Llandegla.
    In fact, my jumping has got much better since I started riding there, because I can push it a little bit harder each time.
  • Lol, i'm alright at jumping.... its the landings that i'm crap at :lol:
  • Anonymous
    :lol:
    Confusingly, and rather bizzarely, I'm the opposite. I'm ok with drops, and landing, but I've picked this habit over the years of squashing jumps. :lol:
  • supersonic
    I just don't like doubles as mentioned above. Step ups, drop offs, ramps on the trail and the like I am OK with, but don't like those doubles!
  • Drops are fine... don't phase me at all now, i can launch and land of them pretty well...

Its just when I see a jump this happens in my head " sweeeeeeet a jump.... must go faster....sh***t too fast.... ok so i've passed the landing area.... sh*t, i've gotta land brake and turn at tthe same time!"

Hehe I always overshoot... fun though :D
  • doubles are alright in the correct place.... like on a freeride park, DH track or DJ track.

On a trail they're a tad out of place IMO, it's much safer to have a tabletop "just in case".
  • supersonic
    Much more XC nowadays - in my youth, on that Zaskar, I thought I was Mr Rey!
  • I'll be honest... i'm really looking forward to extending my riding in a more XC fasion... hense why I think i'll go to Llandegla 1st on the 29er.

Means I can go out a lot more too, theres loads on XC that I really wouldn't want to try on the NS!
  • Anonymous
    When I was in Chatel (I think) we saw some nice looking dirt jumps from the gondola, and thought we'd check them out, to try and get our jumping dialled in.
    Unfortunately, we realised once we'd ridden down to them that the damn things were the size of a house :shock:
    We tried to look cool, whilst completely chickening out :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Hey, Benj man, don't use your bike as an excuse. I've ridden everything from freeride parks to all-day 50-mile off-road epics on my marins!

One bike to rule them all is my motto! As long as it CAN get uphill, I'm not too bothered how fast I can climb.
  • lesz42
    lesz42 Posts: 690
    i found the marin harder, but degla is faster, saw a few guys, pinning it, which i guess is the clever thing about degla

slow its easy ( compared to some) at speed, could get hairy, saw a few guys, complaining that the new black bits are easy, too easy

but look at brenin, lot of newbies/lesser skilled dont get on with it, i guess its VERY hard to get a balance, that suits all?

anyway i need to learn jumps
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • Hey, Benj man, don't use your bike as an excuse. I've ridden everything from freeride parks to all-day 50-mile off-road epics on my marins!

One bike to rule them all is my motto! As long as it CAN get uphill, I'm not too bothered how fast I can climb.

Hehe this is true! I do say that I can ride pretty much anything on the NS... but then again its good to have the right tool for the job!

I was more on about routes up over the peaks more than anything... theres a lot of full day loooong more natural trail that I want to get into, I feel that i'd just die on a heavy HT!!!
  • Anyways, i've gotta have some sort of excuse for a new bike!!
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    I reckon some kind of 4x type bike would be good for Llandegla. You don't even really need rear-suss, but it would be nice to have a slack-ish angled bike for the jumps etc
  • What DH trcks have you ridden? :shock:
    the Black is most definitely an XC course. An incredibly smooth one, as these things go.

agreed.probably one of the most "sanitised" XC trail centres in the country. Still a good blast today though
  • boz64
    boz64 Posts: 81
    Would have to agree that 'Degla isn't particulalry demanding for experienced/skilled riders. I would consider myself an intermediate rider and even I don't find it particulalrly demanding. As mentioned the black can be "rolled" if you're not up to it, but it's certainly worth a look even if you no expert.

'Degla is good fun if you just fancy a quick blast tho... I'm less than an hour drive away, so its kinda my local trail centre. The middle section is definitely the most fun.

I do see loads of over-biked and over-dressed riders there tho. On Sat i saw a couple of blokes on, I think, full on jump bikes with all the Fox DH gear on and full-face helmets. Ok, they shot off down the black... but its hardly a route that necessitates all that kit!

The atmos there on Sat was good... lovely weather and a barby out front of the cafe! :D
    Liverpool Mercury CC