Pollok Park for absolute beginner?

FlyingMawanga
FlyingMawanga Posts: 38
edited September 2009 in MTB beginners
Hey peeps, only me.

Not sure if this would be the right part of the forum, being for beginners and all, but I was wondering if anyone here has recent experience on the trails in Pollok Park, and if they`d be suitable for a noob like me? I had a search through the forums, but it all seemed pretty old news there.

As I say, I`m totally new to all this, but I blasted from Paisley to Lochwinnoch yesterday on the old train line to see if I could still go a bike and it was an absolute doddle. Another couple of those and my legs will be up to speed, and I`ll want to start using the bike for proper messing about, if you know what I mean lol.

Anyone going to be a superstar for me?
Go listen to... www.wefunkradio.com

Comments

• Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    Go and find out....i have no experience of it but as an educated guess itll be for most people.

Getting out on the bike is the perfect opporunity to explore, i've managed to find a 20 mile route off my door step that barely touches roads but it took a while of trial and error.

Enjoy
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    There's a green, blue and red route so it should be suitable for everyone... Looks pretty short mind. I keep meaning to pop through and have a go some time when I have a quiet day. The red's quite famous for pedestrian/cyclist interfaces mind.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • fitch28
    fitch28 Posts: 155
    You'll have no trouble with pollok park. There are 3 very short trails graded green, blue and red. First trail i ever rode when i stumbled across it by accident a few years ago!!!
  • As I say, I`m totally new to all this, but I blasted from Paisley to Lochwinnoch yesterday on the old train line to see if I could still go a bike and it was an absolute doddle.

This is kindof off-topic, but next time you're down Lochwinnoch way, cycle up to Muirshiel Country Park. There's an okayish cross-country track out towards Kilmacolm High Dam, you can return to Kilmacolm using the back-roads and then the cycle-path goes all the way back to Paisley (joining up with the one you took to Lochwinnoch).

Never been to Pollock Park myself, but have been told the routes there are pretty easy.
  • 77ric
    77ric Posts: 601
    see you need to look at it like this.

Pollok Park is in the middle of a highly populated area, in rather large city.

now bearing the above in mind, the trails there are actually pretty good, some money has been spent to set them up.

now yes the trails are short, and there are green blue and red graded, but the layout is quite good in that you can loop around the green, climb up the first half of the blue, cross the path and straight into a loop of the red, get to the end of the red, cross the path again and fire off down the other half of the blue to the start of the green.

as for the quality, well it's debatable but considering the above routes length of just under 3k there is some reasonably technical riding in places, ok it's not a 7stanes, but then it's not meant to be.

just watch out for the dog walkers.

and xc runners who have a rather irritating habit of running the wrong way around the red so that you can be fast approaching a turn and out of the blue group of 15 or so of the bar stewards appear out of the same corner, so you need to be quick on the anchors.

now if you do go and check them out, spend some time exploring the rest of the park, it will be worth it.

also there is a horse riding school based in the park, so please respect the horses and riders, there only bairns after all.
    Fancy a brew?
  • Muirshiel Park route is great. Try it in the height of winter when the snow is thick. But watch the many dilapidated bridges over streams and burns. Google up Duchal Moor and see the remnants of a narrow gauge railway which was used at the turn of the century to transport grouse shooters out on to the hills. Many of the rails and trackbeds still remain although much of it is now hidden under moorland. The old wagon shed still exists next to Kilmacolm Dam. Miles of stoney trail reach out on to Queenside Muir with one dead end leading to old mine workings. Enjoyable day out.
  • Brilliant guys, thanks for the help, some sound advice there.

I`ll probs head over to Pollok next week sometime, assuming I can get me a day off of work. It`s only a 5 minute train ride from me, so probably a good place to get some time in. Runners, dog walkers and horses are now on my list of potentially dangerous things. The horses won`t be a problem to be careful around, my dad has a couple and I`m sheet scared of them, plus avoiding dogs comes naturally to a postie... :lol:

Muirshiel Country Park, I remember seeing a signpost for it on the way to Lochwinnoch. I`ll def take a detour over there and give it a bash at some point. Hopefully before the snow first time round, lol. The pictures on Google look pretty interesting, just wondering if I could survive it. :wink:

Once again, cheers people. Good info, much appreciated.

:D
  • Are there any other decent off road routes in/around glasgow area? I'm spoiled for choice with road routes but seem to struggle getting away from that
    Formally known as Coatbridgeguy
  • Is there not some sort of path from Coatbridge into the back of Viewpark via the Showcase Cinema on the M8? There are also windfarm tracks and country paths between Newmains and Forth (Auchterhead and Gladsmuir) and between Fauldhouse and Harthill (Polkemmet). Haven't been up the back of Coatbrig but there appears to be paths around Bishop Loch, Woodend Loch and Lochend Loch, as well as Drumpellier. None of them mountain biking but at least away from the traffic and no need to travel far.
  • I`ll ask the GF later if she knows anything about Coatbridge paths, she's from there, pretty close to the Showcase. Have to say, I don`t explore much when I'm through there, if you know what I mean...

8)
  • Cool. Been up Lochend and Woodend loch a few times but it's only good for short blasts and gets surprisingly busy with joggers, walkers with dogs. Harthill/Fauldhouse is quite a bit out the way in truth. I'm content going pretty much anywhere west of Coatbridge as we have got decent rail links. Done Route 75 into Glasgow today with is always a decent blast. Just looking for more offroady types things. Will be going up to Milngavie tomorrow
    Formally known as Coatbridgeguy
  • If you're only a 5 minute train ride from Pollok Park then I'd also recommend Cathkin Braes ( although don't go alone after dark, unless you're into dogging, gay encounters. air rifles, unlicenced scrambler bikes or miscalleneous shady ned activity).

Queens Park is also fun, with a good mix of natural paths and man made things like stairs. Again, don't go after dark, due to most of the reasons mentioned above.

Mugdock Park is excellent ( and right beside Milngavie train station) - it has loads of wee nooks and crannies of varying difficulty.
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • fitch28
    what about whitelees windfarm near eaglesham? Only about a 4 mile ride from thorntonhall train station and apparently it has something like 60km of tracks although not found that much yet! been up a couple of times, some of it quite rough and muddy and its practically deserted. good for when you don't want to travel too far.
  • Superb, more ideas. I'm sure I'll get round to trying them all, eventually lol.

Thinking about it, I was only a couple of miles from that windfarm earlier today, I went for a wee tour on the backroads behind Barrhead.

I suppose neds are something I'll just have to contend with, they always seem to pick all the best spots. At least I might get a mouthful of their White Lightning, or whatever they're drinking these days.

• fitch28
    if you're up barrhead way you could try gleniffer braes. watch out for the gorse though!!
  • Yeah Fitch, I'm from Barrhead, and obv the braes are right on my doorstep. Almost literally.

Thing is though, I wouldnt know where to start. I've mostly been sticking to roads, still got to learn what the whole cross-country thing entails exactly, rules and etiquette and suchlike, but that's another entire thread there...

The trials of being a lone cyclist lol.

Any tips on how to get out and about up there?
  • fitch28
    if you start at brownside farm on the paisley road and head up the hill from the carpark, that'll give you a good starting point.

Also just a thought, there is a wee book called 'bike scotland, trail guide' or something like that which has a lot of routes around scotland with a gleniffer braes route in it as well as trail centres, mugdock etc. think there is around 40 routes in it. also has tips, techniques, jargon and other stuff in it. good wee book!!!

to be honest though, best thing to do is just get out and ride, you learn as you go! stick to the country code and you'll be fine. :)
  • Harthill/Fauldhouse is quite a bit out the way in truth. I'm content going pretty much anywhere west of Coatbridge as we have got decent rail links.

Allanton, where Harthill and Faulhouse trails start, is only 10 miles from Coatbridge. Cycle to Bellshill and take the train to Hartwood or even Fauldhouse. That's 20 mile return journey plus 10/15 miles of path.
  • fitch28 wrote:
    if you start at brownside farm on the paisley road and head up the hill from the carpark, that'll give you a good starting point.

Also just a thought, there is a wee book called 'bike scotland, trail guide' or something like that which has a lot of routes around scotland with a gleniffer braes route in it as well as trail centres, mugdock etc. think there is around 40 routes in it. also has tips, techniques, jargon and other stuff in it. good wee book!!!

Nice one mate, that's a top tip right there. I'll let you know how I get on.

• chuckd
    chuckd Posts: 105
    fitch28 wrote:

to be honest though, best thing to do is just get out and ride, you learn as you go! stick to the country code and you'll be fine. :)

I've just started doing this route and its fairly decent for a local loop. Its a bit muddy and I found the rock sections too technical and muddy and end up pushing my bike. :(

Watch out for the Highland Cattle as well :D
  • fitch28
    i found one wee bit too muddy to ride but wasn't too far to push, other than that though found it fine and my 10 year old daughter managed ok too. didn't ride down those steps though!!!
  • II echo most of the previous comments about Pollok Park. I ride there at least 3 times a week as it is on my doorstep having moved up here in January. Never seen any Neds myself yet.
    It’s never that busy but there are more riders when the weather’s fine ,like now . Most say hello and stop to chat and it is quite easy to meet other like minded bikers and tag along ,as I did. Some meet up informally on Wednesdays around 6 and SMBC do some sort of training for youngsters too. Also watch out for horses at weekends!
    The MTB tracks are quite short but looped together can be fun with jumps, bumps and steps to help improve your skills and chicken runs for most of them. These routes stay rideable in all weathers. If you explore the park away from these then there are several sweet singletrack runs and one unofficial downhill type run but these are wet and muddy nearly all the time and you need to pay special attention to other park users and estate vehicles . You can also do a loop over the bridge opposite the Country house, along the side of the golf course onto the main road next to Pollokshaws West train station then back into the park past the allotments then through the park back to the start of the MTB tracks. You can also get on the national cycle route and ride out to Paisley and beyond through to Greenock one direction and into the city centre the other though it’s a bit flat and tame but is a good workout when the weathers poor.
    +1 for Mugdock Park and the surrounding area-try the Dumgoyne route-should be available on WMB somewhere
    Cathkin Braes and Gleniffer Braes are ok too.
    PM me if you want to explore Pollok Park sometime.
  • Was in Pollok today for the first time in a couple of months. Someone's built a nice "hidden" downhill trail that starts with a rock garden then into a north shore jump then a couple of log sections. Really short but dead easy to ride over and over again.
  • It's def sounding good.

Pity I'm such a pussy, and I won't get out on my bike enough to build my bike fitness up. I think I'll blame the exhausting day job I have...

:(
  • Well with the nights getting darker, the weekend will be the best time to explore and I'd be more than happy to show you round some weekend. It takes me less than two minutes to ride from my front door to the park so it's really convenient. If you fancy it just give us a shout either on this thread or fire a PM off.
  • 77ric
    BoardinBob wrote:
    Was in Pollok today for the first time in a couple of months. Someone's built a nice "hidden" downhill trail that starts with a rock garden then into a north shore jump then a couple of log sections. Really short but dead easy to ride over and over again.

yeah i found that a few weeks ago, looked quite interesting. i didn't ride it as i was still getting used to the new bike, and i was pissing down, didn't want to take the chance of killing myself over it. looked like some one had put quite an effort in. good on them.
    Fancy a brew?
  • fitch28
    was planning on going down there for a pootle about tomorrow.

Would it be too cheeky to ask where it is what with it being hidden and all? :)
  • 77ric
    up the hill behind the burrel. s'all i'm saying.
    Fancy a brew?
  • fitch28
    8) cheers!
  • 77ric
    8) no worries, thinking about taking a jaunt along there tomorrow myself, wont be till about half four mind cause i'm working :twisted: :evil:
    Fancy a brew?