Dodgy "Accident" scam text?

squired
squired Posts: 1,153
edited November 2011 in The bottom bracket
Had an interesting one this morning. Received a text from +447749641243. It says:

Freemsg: Our records indicate you may be entitled to 3750 pounds for the accident you had. To claim for free reply with AID to this msg. To opt out text STOP.

Now, I've not had an accident that I'm aware of so clearly the text is rubbish. No doubt it is some sort of scam and any text back would cost me money. However I was thinking that it was something worth highlighting on here as one or two people who've had accidents on their bikes could potentially receive something like this and respond.

Anyone else received anything similar?

Comments

• Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    Where can you report such suspiscious texts?
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    I'd call your service provider and ask their advice.
  • reply to such messages whether they are from text, telephone calls, email, letters etc at your peril (you know the ones-lottery wins, free holidays, nigerian get rich quick etc). once you reply you will be placed on a SUCKERS LIST and and your details will be passed on. you will be bombarded with more "offers" and services which will be very bad for your wealth. so beware
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Harry B
    Harry B Posts: 1,239
    squired wrote:
    Had an interesting one this morning. Received a text from +447749641243. It says:

Freemsg: Our records indicate you may be entitled to 3750 pounds for the accident you had. To claim for free reply with AID to this msg. To opt out text STOP.

Now, I've not had an accident that I'm aware of so clearly the text is rubbish. No doubt it is some sort of scam and any text back would cost me money. However I was thinking that it was something worth highlighting on here as one or two people who've had accidents on their bikes could potentially receive something like this and respond.

I get the same text message every couple of months or so. I did have an RTA but it was about 10 years so I don't know where they get their information. As a lawyer who represents employers in criminal prosecutions following work related accidents I find it particulalry annoying (it encourages the blame culture and ultimately costs us all) but as someone has said you reply at your peril. Presumably its costing them money to send the texts? If so just let them carry on :wink:
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Anyone who attempts to follow those up for the cash is stupid and greedy enough to deserve the consequences.

Relying with 'STOP' could be excused by naivety.
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Interesting, my wife just received this same message today by SMS. Ordinarily we'd ignore it, but on Friday my wife had a fall in the road and badly scraped her face on the ground. She sent a picture of the damage to her brother and now today this SMS comes in.

Makes you wonder if there isn't an insider at O2 collecting images such as this and then adding them to the phishing list? Coincidence most probably, but still makes me wonder.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    They could just be using every phone number they can find. Just about everyone has had an "accident" at some point in their lives.
  • dodgy
    Yes I'm aware of the whole phishing concept crankycrank, I deal with the aftermath at work as I work in computer security :lol:

It's probably just a massive coincidence, my wife has only ever fell over and smashed her face up once in her life and only once has she ever received this type of SMS. Yet these two events happen within 36 hours of each other.

If anybody else has received one, had you sent an SMS or MMS detailing the accident prior to receiving this kind of phishing (smishing) SMS?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    It is just a coincidence I am sure. I got the very same text a couple of weeks ago and just deleted it.

I haven't had any accidents or sent any texts about one. It's just typical phishing stuff; they send out millions and every now and then they hit on some poor sod who has just had an accident, or who replies to their STOP invitation. Then they know they've got a live one!
  • dodgy
    OK, I'm with you, almost certainly coincidental.

We'll re-open the case if we spot a trend, i.e. loads of people come to this thread and say they also sent a picture of their injury and received the SMS later 8)
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    "Had an accident? In your home, in the office, in your pants? Ring now for Free Advice!"
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    I've had a couple, and some saying that I could claim on my recent loan, thing is I can't take out loans :lol:
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    My sister received a phone call in a similar vane saying she may be entitled to injury compensation from a car accident she was in three years ago. This guy suggested she could get several thousand for non-specific back injuries, some sort of no win no fee (win and we'll take a big cut). There was an accident, but she wasn't injured, and she wasn't greedy enough to fall for the scam. Someone must have gone back through the records of accidents trawling for likely victims.
  • These worry me too.

I work as a PI lawyer, and these scam texts worry my clients if they receive them because they have had an accident (genuine) and worry that their data has been 'lost'.

Unfortunately there are some unsavoury firms out there who really couldn't give a toss about the client!
    There's no such thing as too old.
  • dban
    dban Posts: 1
    I too have just received a message like this. Would be interesting to see if those getting it are all on the O2 network!!!???
  • I received one at 10am this morning i am on 02 network.
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    Just ignore them and delete, replying STOP will still let them know it is an active number and you will still get bombarded with idiotic offers, i don't even answer my mobile unless i know who is calling.
  • If on Vodafone, forward the text to 87726 , the numbers that correspond to VSPAM . This is a Vodafone service, and they will check it out ( this is true for any unsolicited text, not just scam ones )
  • Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    After being subjected to several of these annoying texts I sent a reply indicating I wanted to claim. When i was called back I told them in no uncertain terms that if they sent me another text I would report it to Ofcom and the ASA, I further instructed them to remove my number from their list. That was two months ago and since then I've not recieved any more junk texts ( I call them Vexts).
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    So tempted to respond saying I had an accident in my flat and didn't injure myself. do you think I'll get the £3750 they say I will :lol:
    I've had 3 this year and I'm on the Virgin network.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • benjboy
    benjboy Posts: 258
    This scam has been on BBC rogue traders a few weeks back.They stated "just ignore it or report it".
    Keep the chain tight all the way.
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    I texted them back asking whether I really would be entitled to £3750 for the "accident" I had following 10 pints of Guiness and a chicken Vindaloo the other night.............I am awaiting their reply.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I get them every couple of months or so. It's nothing to do with the off I had 5 years ago as I didn't have this phone number then so clearly it's a blunderbuss approach - scatter the things far & wide and one or two suckers might be caught up in the melee. Best ignored, or send back the word STOP followed by a load of abuse. It'll be ignored but you'll feel better for it, and mine is a works phone anyway so not of any concern to me.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    I had one of these texts 2 weeks ago and I am on O2.
  • oscar-j
    oscar-j Posts: 269
    squired wrote:

i've been sent that exact text numerous times over the last year.it started 2 weeks after i had a car accident but it was already in the hands of the ins company's lawyers anyway so i just ignored it.then,about 3 weeks ago,there was a warning about this very text on watchdog.be careful!
  • BrianTrousers
    BrianTrousers Posts: 218
    Why am I only being offered £3250. Why are all you guys' accidents worth £500 more than mine?

I feel cheated. :cry:
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    brin wrote:
    Just ignore them and delete, replying STOP will still let them know it is an active number and you will still get bombarded with idiotic offers, i don't even answer my mobile unless i know who is calling.

+1 to all of that, hide your number and I wont answer, yes, it means I ignore calls that go through a switchboard, however, leave a message and if I want to speak to you II will call you back.

Im on Voda and I get those texts, am sure its nothing to do with your supplier just companies selling lists to each other.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    maybe they pay 10p to text you then you reply STOP and it costs you 50p or more? nice profit in that maybe??
    Death or Glory- Just another Story