Riders in the Sky

1235»

Comments

• moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    iainf72 wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:

Isnt it amazing how the word No can come to mean so much eh.

It was the way he said it. Rendell phrased the question that Contador may be available and if he was, would Sky want to recruit him. Brailsford's expression said it all.

If i ever end up on trial for anything i hope to god you are not on the jury.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Moray Gub wrote:

I've just done my jury service a few months ago :wink:

Would you agree seeing the word "no" written down and seeing someone say "no", adding in their body language would convey different messages?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    cougie wrote:
    I think Sky have had the money set aside for Wiggins, but its not gonna happen now. I reckon they'll save it til next year and maybe they can afford Wiggins next year ?
    He had the element of surprise on his side this year - next year he's going to be marked and its going to be a harder battle to get up the placings.

I don't recall him flying off the front catching Bertie et al on the hop ?? He put in some good time trials and rode tempo with the other GC contenders in the mountains, possibly dropping an elderly Yank on one occasion. The one "proper" day in the mountains and he lost time.

The parcours suited Brad. Don't get me wrong, I was cheering him on all the way but come next year, a different route, I don't think he'll really be a GC contender.

But I really hope I'm wrong.
  • pat1cp wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    I think Sky have had the money set aside for Wiggins, but its not gonna happen now. I reckon they'll save it til next year and maybe they can afford Wiggins next year ?
    He had the element of surprise on his side this year - next year he's going to be marked and its going to be a harder battle to get up the placings.

I don't recall him flying off the front catching Bertie et al on the hop ?? He put in some good time trials and rode tempo with the other GC contenders in the mountains, possibly dropping an elderly Yank on one occasion. The one "proper" day in the mountains and he lost time.

The parcours suited Brad. Don't get me wrong, I was cheering him on all the way but come next year, a different route, I don't think he'll really be a GC contender.

As Brad said, he went into the tour hoping for top15, top20... Do you think a year of planning and riding with the aim to be a GC contender will affect him positively?

Armstrong will be older, you'll have schleck and contador, but is there really anyone else that is too far ahead?
    http://www.KOWONO.com - Design-Led home furniture and accessories.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788

don't worry, you are ;)
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    Last years winner, Sastre isn't past it. Basso will be stronger with a years racing in his legs. But I think we might see one of Nibali, Kreuziger, Martin or Gesink break thru and challenge for a podium. It depends on the parcours, and we'll have to wait till next month for that one.

Le Chicken might be back by then too. :cry:

Sorry for hijacking the thread a little.

A agree with what has previously been said, they need a high profile GC/Sprinter. There's alot of teams vying for TDF spots next year.
  • Its being reported in Italy that the next recruit for Team Sky is Davide Vigano. From the little research I have done it would appear as though he is a sprinter.

Does anyone know much about Vigano?
  • He's what Sean Kelly would describe as a "terd rate sprinter".

Got a few top 10s in the Giro, and is currently knocking around the sprints in the Vuelta, not doing too well to be honest.

Edit: The self censorship thing is weird. How is a childish name for poo offensive?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    He was with QS for 3 years. Still waiting for his first pro win.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    According to the Times, Brailsford has said they've never negotiated with Wiggins.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    iainf72 wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:

I've just done my jury service a few months ago :wink:

Would you agree seeing the word "no" written down and seeing someone say "no", adding in their body language would convey different messages?

No :wink:
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    iainf72 wrote:
    According to the Times, Brailsford has said they've never negotiated with Wiggins.

But if he can't sign the guy, Brailsford would say that wouldn't he?
  • I am convinced Mr Dave Brailsford would say anything to save his own face and it would not be the first lie he told either. I read in an article that Brailsford claimed Downing had always been on the Team sky list. Everyone familiar with British cycling knows that Brailsford had no intention on giving Russel Downing a contract. Main reason for that is that Russ and Brailsford haven't seen eye to eye. Russ is too outspoken.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Superoo wrote:
    Everyone familiar with British cycling knows that Brailsford had no intention on giving Russel Downing a contract. Main reason for that is that Russ and Brailsford haven't seen eye to eye. Russ is too outspoken.

Depends who is picking the riders though. In a reply to a tweet I sent him, Scott Sunderland said that Russell Downing was on his initial Team Sky wishlist. I'd like to think he was being honest.....
  • Exactly :wink: on Sunderland's list. Brailsford is a novice in road cycling. I don't think he would know the international riders enough to pick riders for a professional road cycling team like team sky. It is obvious that it is Scott Sunderland who brought the actual team together. Who else is involved in the team? Sunderland mentions Sutton, Ellingworth and Jeppesen on his website but I wonder who will be recruited as sports directors :?: ?