Riders in the Sky

Comments

• wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    A liitle perspective please people! As yet there are still 10 riders to be announced yet there is already moaning about GC contenders! The riders already announced are pretty tasty so why the moaning?
    This is a BRITISH team, something we could only dream of a few years ago!
    FFS.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • BdeB
    BdeB Posts: 110
    And i really can't see a problem with getting into the tour. You have a team sponsered by one of the biggest media outlets around, of course they will get a place simply for the free exposure that sky would give to the tour. Sky, camping gas or farming equipment wonder who the organisers would like to piss off least.
  • samb01
    samb01 Posts: 130
    Nibali definitely not entering Sky - he said that he has renewed with Liquigas for 2010 as given his performance in the Tour they have now promised better leadership and a better salary. He didn't rule off 2011 though.
    Renewed? I believe his running contract included 2010 all along.
  • hammerite wrote:
    I think it was mentioned that the team will have 33 people in the back room staff, as well as 25 riders. So the budget has to cover 58 people.

Is 58 staff members a lot for a pro team?

Are some of those 33 already on the UK cycling payroll?
    http://www.KOWONO.com - Design-Led home furniture and accessories.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    wicked wrote:
    A liitle perspective please people! As yet there are still 10 riders to be announced yet there is already moaning about GC contenders! The riders already announced are pretty tasty so why the moaning?
    FFS.

Yeah, BRITISH teams should be exempt from all reasoned thinking, otherwise we're all guilty of TREASON. Why do you guys hate the Queen so much?!

:roll:

From the riders so far, Sky looks like the British Milram.
  • samb01
    [quote="hammerite"Looking at the CQ transfer speculation earlier they were mentioning Heinrich Hassler, I've had a look and he's no longer on the list for Sky, but I couldn't see him on the list of staying or going for Cervelo either.[/quote]
    Haussler recently signed a new three year (end of 2012) contract with Cervelo.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    afx237vi wrote:
    Ouch!
  • Average budget for 2008 was $11m (yes dollars) for those teams riding the Tour de France.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Serge Pauwels is meant to be another guaranteed signing.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    afx237vi wrote:
    Like Milram without Ciolek.
  • afx237vi
    Kléber wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    Ouch!

True, though. Both much-hyped quasi-national teams, neither with enough home-grown talent to make much of a serious impact. Did anyone hear Sean Kelly talking about Gerdemann the other day? And you thought my comment was harsh...
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    samb01 wrote:
    hammerite wrote:
    Looking at the CQ transfer speculation earlier they were mentioning Heinrich Hassler, I've had a look and he's no longer on the list for Sky, but I couldn't see him on the list of staying or going for Cervelo either.
    Haussler recently signed a new three year (end of 2012) contract with Cervelo.

Thanks for clarifying, thought that would be the case seems like he's just been missed off this list.... http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/transfers.asp

Not quite sure you could call the team so far a Milram..... http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/transfers.asp
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    The 16 named so far have 25 wins this season - ten of them in ProTour (or equivalent) events. A lot of ProTour teams would like that sort of season.

(By contrast Milram - mentioned above - have 8 wins, only two in PT events)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    wicked wrote:
    FFS.

SKY seem to have indicated that these were the cream of the crop of the signings. So even though there are more riders to be announced (or signed), it seems that they won't have a genuine GC contender next year.

But hey - maybe they will surprise us and still sign/announce that BIG name....
  • samb01
    FJS wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    Like Milram without Ciolek.
    I like Ciolek, but Gerrans and EBH have significantly better results.
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    Could be they are looking 2-3 years from now.

Wiggins must be the target, so build a team that will win a good bit like Cervelo this year, to make Sky happy with their investment. Then augment the team for the 2011 season with some even better support for a GC contender and then sign Wiggins.

No need to tempt a GC contender right away and finish up with an in house fight about who's the leader when/if they get Wiggins.

Likewise on a sprinter, Cav wouldn't move unless there's as strong a lead out train as he currently enjoys. I'm sure he likes the money but he REALLY likes the winning. So that'll take a while to collect/prove.

Brailsford is a master planner (he's actually an accountant) and knows that this is a longer process than 1 or even 2 years.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    I'm sure it is a long term plan and you've got to be pretty pleased with the riders for next year, as a jumping off point.
    I've never really understood the Wiggins/Cavendish thing. Wouldn't it be very ambitious to try and support a sprinter and a GC contender in the Tour?
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    inseine wrote:
    I'm sure it is a long term plan and you've got to be pretty pleased with the riders for next year, as a jumping off point.
    I've never really understood the Wiggins/Cavendish thing. Wouldn't it be very ambitious to try and support a sprinter and a GC contender in the Tour?

Bob seems to think it's possible, with Cav as his sprinter and Tony Martin as his GC contender.
  • samb01
    hammerite wrote:
    Bob seems to think it's possible, with Cav as his sprinter and Tony Martin as his GC contender.
    Token GC contender more like it. When they released the team for next year the other day, Stapleton said (I don't remember where, Velo News probably) he doesn't think there is anyone out there who can challenge Contador for the next few years anyway, so they might as well build their team around Cavendish and Greipel.

I suspect Stapleton's main priority for 2010 is to get a new three year contract with Cavendish.
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    afx237vi wrote:
    wicked wrote:
    FFS.

Yeah, BRITISH teams should be exempt from all reasoned thinking, otherwise we're all guilty of TREASON. Why do you guys hate the Queen so much?!

What a moronic statment:roll:
    Maybe some target riders are still under contract?
    Maybe the ten riders still to be confirmed will satisfy you?
    Maybe rome was not built in a day and in a couple of years sky will be stronger still?
    Maybe you will grow up? No not this one.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • afx237vi
    wicked wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    wicked wrote:
    FFS.

What a moronic statment:roll:
    Maybe some target riders are still under contract?
    Maybe the ten riders still to be confirmed will satisfy you?
    Maybe rome was not built in a day and in a couple of years sky will be stronger still?
    Maybe you will grow up? No not this one.

Do I look like Derren Brown? I said "from the riders so far"...
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Sky has a good roster and should win some races next year. With riders like EBH and Lovkvist, the Tour of Flanders or Paris-Nice could be in reach, as welll as a good selection of one day races.

But so far they lack both a GC contender and a proven sprinter, that's all.

Also, you can have the best riders going but a lot will come down to management, you can have great riders but fluff the tactics or team spirit and... well look at Rabo, Milram etc. Hopefully Sky will employ BC's attention to detail from the track racing.
  • samb01
    RichN95 wrote:
    The 16 named so far have 25 wins this season - ten of them in ProTour[ (or equivalent) events. A lot of ProTour teams would like that sort of season.
    I don't know about your total, but wrt PT wins you're atleast two short. Henderson, Gerrans, and EBH have 12 PT wins between them this year.
  • RichN95.
    samb01 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    The 16 named so far have 25 wins this season - ten of them in ProTour[ (or equivalent) events. A lot of ProTour teams would like that sort of season.
    I don't know about your total, but wrt PT wins you're atleast two short. Henderson, Gerrans, and EBH have 12 PT wins between them this year.

Two of EBH's are a team time trial and the Eneco Points Jersey, which I didn't count, and it'll be a cold day in hell before I recognise GP Ouest France-Plouay* as a major race.

*I actually overlooked it by mistake
  • samb01
    RichN95 wrote:
    One of EBH's is a team time trial
    Not included in my count. EBH has seven, Gerrans three, and Henderson two.
  • RichN95.
    samb01 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

It appears I can't count to seven.
  • samb01
    RichN95 wrote:
    samb01 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

It appears I can't count to seven.
    G-W, one stage giro, two stages poland, two stages and overall benelux. Seven.
  • RichN95.
    samb01 wrote:
    G-W, one stage giro, two stages poland, two stages and overall benelux. Seven.

I know. My point was I didn't count them properly. Hence 'I can't count to seven'.
  • samb01
    Ah, doh! My bad :)