Bike stolen while rider unconscious

Comments

• he probally nipped in his local shop to buy a paper or something leaving the bike outside ,came out to find it missing and thought oh F**k what am i gonna say now :idea:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    SCAM, gotta be.
  • :?

i watch too much CSI on TV prehaps, but i think he is telling porkies and one of his mates has a nice bike sat in a garage somewhere and it will eventually be sold on for a fraction of what it is worth........

knocked out? must of been a violent crash. id be checking the ground and him for evidence of that.

i have never heard of any bike shop near me loaning out bikes, they would be mad too.
    roberts dogs bolx
    cannondale hooligan 1
    cannondale badboy
  • tjwood
    tjwood Posts: 328
    Well what a charitable lot you are...!

There's a variation on the article here which says "[The rider] said he had been a keen mountain biker some years ago and was hoping to get back into it. However, he says he will probably have to pay for the missing bike, meaning he will not be able to afford one of his own."

Assuming he has to pay for it, there is very little opportunity for a scam here...
  • Anonymous
    well, he's not going to say
    "I was looking to buy a new bike, but didn't have te money. However, since I knocked off the nice Whyte they lent me, I now have plenty of money to buy a new bike. RESULT"
    :lol:

Seriously though, the shops that I know of which DO loan out bikes, usually ask for a large deposit - certainly in the case of a bike that expensive - which naturally is lost if the bike is damaged.
    They also take details, and even ask for passports etc so that if the bike + rider go "missing" they can find them, or report to the necessary authorities etc.

So, chances are, this guy's just lost a (probably large) deposit. The shop will be insured, so I can;t see them making him pay for the bike in full.
  • My oh my! What a cynical bunch you all are. I think it's quite obvious what has happened to this poor bloke. The bike was abducted by aliens, who travelled halfway across the galaxy for what would be to them a priceless two wheel relic which they could use to get on their version of Antiques Roadshow. Antiques Space-time Wormhole, as they probably call it. The bike was beamed aboard leaving chappy to crash to the floor without warning. No wonder he's so confused about the whole thing.
  • that sounds more realistic lol.

if more evidence comes forward and he has to pay for the bike then maybe it was genuine.

i remember being hit by a car on my new cannondale, bike was wrote off, as was my head.......almost.

blood everywhere and folk rushing to my aid, passers by took my bike and was kept at a warehouse opposite while i was took to hospital, i was more worried about the bike than myself as i crashed in a very rough part of newcastle at the time.
    roberts dogs bolx
    cannondale hooligan 1
    cannondale badboy
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    It's all a bit too convenient for me, I wonder how long the bike was on loan for.
  • cgarossi wrote:
    Thats my local ride!!!

This is completely unheard of. Theres loads of walkers on the hills. Although that said, I have noticed the odd small group of kids hanging around.

Next time i'm up there I'll keep an eye out.

You live in West Malvern then?

I live in Great Malvern myself and tend to ride up the Beacon at lunchtimes from work (just down the road from my house fortunately).

I find it a bit hard to believe considering the normal demographics that you get out on the hill - mind you that is on the late side. I wonder where he fell off. There is a pretty steep rocky route that dives down to North Hill carpark from the path on North Hill. Can't think where else he might have fallen off badly near there.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    If there was an off that caused unconsiousness then there should really be medical reports and probably an emergency service call as there is no way anyone should be driving or on thier own after being knocked out, even seemingly minor head injurires can get serious without warning. Then there are neck injuries and all the other strains and bruising. I mean I came off a couple of weeks ago , nothing fast or serious just a slip in the mud and there are still yellow marks where I bruised and had groin strain for a week, if he doesn'twalk like John Wayne he is a liar :D
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • saltyman wrote:
    i have never heard of any bike shop near me loaning out bikes, they would be mad too.

Loads of shops have demo bikes - between a couple of my mates, they've demoed a Trek Fuel Ex9, a top of the range Commy Super 4 and an Anthem X1.
  • scotto
    scotto Posts: 381
    could be squirrels
  • Magpies?
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Leprechauns!!!
  • bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    edited September 2009
    hhhmmm who lends a bike worth £2700 to a 20yr old unless you know them
    and i love this line ( “I was riding the bike and must have fallen as next thing I knew I was coming round and the bike was nowhere to be seen.)
    i think you would know if you come off a bike. :?
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Maybe the scam is he tells people he's going to have to pay for the bike and the locals chip in and buy him one of his own, noels christmas presents stylee.

I knocked myself out on a ride once, I knew I'd fallen off, and I still found my bike and walked home, fishy fish fish.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    Biggus86 wrote:
    Leprechauns!!!

gotta be badgers.....they even wear the typical robber-mask....

pesky badgers.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • + 1 for Badgers
    ride your bike like a kid whilst you still can

Transition Blindside = http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceychalk/5335403095/
  • dolphins. Their always grinning like their up to something. Probably gave the bike to one of their fish friends....
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • i think he did borrow the bike, left it outside a shop unlocked and it's been nicked subsequently making this story up to get out of paying for it!!
  • Couldn't the whole on loan thing be a cycle to work scheme?
  • cee
    too much money for C2W....£1000 is the limit (although i hvae heard of folk topping this up with cash, but not a £1700 top up).....

maybe a try before you buy hire type of thing....

dolphins can't ride bikes. their flippers aren't long enough to reach the handle bars.

defo badgers. :D
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • You guys got it all wrong.. it was ninjas!
    They're silent, dress in black and are super quick.. perfect candidates for the missing Whyte
  • I would come up with a story like that if i wanted a shiney new bike i could'nt afford.
    GENESIS CORE 20
  • Only if i was a theiving little toerag tho.
    GENESIS CORE 20
  • pedlad
    pedlad Posts: 127
    this is Malvern we're talking about- must have been a ninja pensioner. I'll keep an eye out for one pedalling to the conservative club on his new whyte :D
  • cee
    You guys got it all wrong.. it was ninjas!
    They're silent, dress in black and are super quick.. perfect candidates for the missing Whyte

you have also just described badgers! ninja badgers! ninja badgers with bus passes now cos they are old.

H.G. Wells.
  • probably some chancer walking his bull terrier/rotweiller/pitbull cross ... i hope it was not another biker, ppl only care for themselves these days, they will steal your shit and leave you lying in your own blood ... seems the more stuff ppl have the more they want
  • Anonymous
    cee wrote:
    ninja badgers!
    Reminds me of those road signs up near Flintshire way, like these ones
    badger_alert.jpg
    :lol:
  • shoot ??? jesus i cant even swear anymore