RPCC Ride - Sat 12th / Sun 13th Sept.

Comments

• voxegam wrote:
    managed to crash on a slippy descent whilst out with Tom (Petromyzon) today......lost a fair amount of skin and fractured my hand *sigh* ......just as training was going well and I was starting to gain some speed
    You were getting way too fast, James, and would soon have had no need of your RPCC buddies, so possibly divine intervention.
    But seriously, I hope you're making sure the fracture heals right first time. Will we see you before term time?
  • Mark73
    Mark73 Posts: 146
    Thanks for the swift reply mate. much appreciated.

All sounds good. Hopefully the weather will hold out. What's the deal? do you meet at the park gates and then ride on from there?
  • Rich-Ti wrote:
    There's also the Southern Sportive on Sunday which I'm saving myself for so I'll probably barely bother to ride all week to be honest! I know Mal is also doing this - will there be anyone else along? Phipsy has a spare place going too I think as he can't make it now...
    I'm still planning to go, Rich. It will be interesting to see how much I've lost over the last month. My rib's still annoying, but I think I'll be able to escape my wife's veto due to the early start. [weather permitting]
    Maybe you could put some Spanish or Russian vocab on your backside so I've got something to read on Sunday morning?
    nick
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    We meet just inside the park by the white building at Hampton Gate. We then roll through the park and out to Surrey Via Hampton Wick.

We ride pretty non stop until we stop at the cafe at Box Hill to refill/toilet and cake.

Don't worry the others will wait at the stop of the hills until we regroup.

Just make sure you bring some spares tubes/patches with you.
  • Mark73
    Mark73 Posts: 146
    Brilliant. See you then. You cant miss me, I am an pale, pasty lanky streak of piss. I might even break out the lycra!
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    I'm still planning to go, Rich. It will be interesting to see how much I've lost over the last month. My rib's still annoying, but I think I'll be able to escape my wife's veto due to the early start. [weather permitting]
    Maybe you could put some Spanish or Russian vocab on your backside so I've got something to read on Sunday morning?
    nick
    Good man Nick - your base is good so you might have lost a bit of edge but I reckon you'll hold on just fine, especially if you fuel and hydrate well :D

Russian or Spanish?! I'll see what I can do - could get a bit dull reading 'Prologue' over and over...
  • Berns12
    Berns12 Posts: 198
    NWLondoner wrote:
    We meet just inside the park by the white building at Hampton Gate. We then roll through the park and out to Surrey Via Hampton Wick.

We ride pretty non stop until we stop at the cafe at Box Hill to refill/toilet and cake.

Don't worry the others will wait at the stop of the hills until we regroup.

Just make sure you bring some spares tubes/patches with you.

Its not Hampton Gate. Richmond Gate. Its the entrance at the top of Sawyers Hill, you can't miss us. Make sure you bring money Mark for BH.
  • NWLondoner
    Richmod gate.Oops. where on earth did I get hampton gate from? :oops: Probably too elated at the football score. Just dont mention the cricket.
  • Rich-Ti
    NWLondoner wrote:
    Just dont mention the cricket.
    Meh, the one-dayers are nothing - we got the Ashes back :D
  • Rich-Ti wrote:
    NWLondoner wrote:
    Just dont mention the cricket.
    Meh, the one-dayers are nothing - we got the Ashes back :D

Exactly Rich,and if i'm not mistaken,two of our antipodean friends owe me £10 english pounds each,isnt that right Berns/Wilf :wink:

8th March 2010,Spain ,Here I come !!!!!!
  • Rich-Ti
    Exactly Rich,and if i'm not mistaken,two of our antipodean friends owe me £10 english pounds each,isnt that right Berns/Wilf :wink:
    Good luck getting that Gerry... :wink::lol:
  • Full of the cold at the moment so not sure of my plans just yet.

Voxegam - sorry to hear of your spill.
  • Berns12
    Full of the cold at the moment so not sure of my plans just yet.

Voxegam - sorry to hear of your spill.

Swine flu?
  • Berns12 wrote:
    Swine flu?
    Hope not!

Is it just me or can anyone else smell truffles? :?
  • Hi guys,

Been lurking for a while on the forum, and I'm looking to take part in some group fun.
    Involvig bikes of course!

However, I'm not sure I'm fit enough for this ride, the most I've done was last Sunday's BHF Richmond to Windsor, covered in a bit over 2h, where I felt I could have gone a bit longer (if I hadn't given it all in the last 7-8 miles)

So, what you guys think? Should I give it a try, or keep on practicing until I get better?
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • Rich-Ti
    Holybinch - Welcome! It's folk like your good self who have put their hands up once and then become regulars that have kept this group ticking along so well...

We tend to find the best judge of whether or not you'd be able to keep pace is laps of Richmond Park - have you ever lapped the park before? Essentially, anything under 25mins a lap and you'll be fine to come along. Richmond to Windsor is around 20 miles so going on your 2hr time that equates to a 10mph average. Richmond Park is approx 7 miles round so to lap it at that pace would take you 42mins (if I've got my maths right). However you may well have taken a much more winding and longer route so don't take this as gospel!

It's also wise to bear in mind that we're usually out for a minimum of 4hrs and often for 5 or 6 (although not every week, and less so now). If you were going for 2hrs and felt you had more in the tank that's a good start, and as long as you eat and hydrate well you could well be ok for 3 or 4hrs on that basis.

Hope this is a good guide, but basically the numbers quoted on the first post in this thread give you good guidance on the ride speed and purpose anyway.

Cheers,

Rich
  • holybinch wrote:
    So, what you guys think? Should I give it a try, or keep on practicing until I get better?
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    Holybinch We tend to find the best judge of whether or not you'd be able to keep pace is laps of Richmond Park

Many of us ride Richmond Park in the evenings and would be happy to meet if you want to benchmark/train. :D
  • Rich-Ti wrote:
    Holybinch - Welcome! It's folk like your good self who have put their hands up once and then become regulars that have kept this group ticking along so well...

We tend to find the best judge of whether or not you'd be able to keep pace is laps of Richmond Park - have you ever lapped the park before? Essentially, anything under 25mins a lap and you'll be fine to come along. Richmond to Windsor is around 20 miles so going on your 2hr time that equates to a 10mph average. Richmond Park is approx 7 miles round so to lap it at that pace would take you 42mins (if I've got my maths right). However you may well have taken a much more winding and longer route so don't take this as gospel!

Thanks for the warm welcome.
    Actually, the Richmond to Windsor was about 37miles, and I must have been between 16 and 17 mph on the whole course.
    I ride Richmond park about twice a week, lapping under 25mns (usually in the 23-24 marks, depending on the old legs) so I would fit just under the mark :)

Rich-Ti wrote:
    It's also wise to bear in mind that we're usually out for a minimum of 4hrs and often for 5 or 6 (although not every week, and less so now). If you were going for 2hrs and felt you had more in the tank that's a good start, and as long as you eat and hydrate well you could well be ok for 3 or 4hrs on that basis.

3 to 4 hours I think I'd be able to cope. 5 to 6, I'm not so sure, it might be stretching it a bit for now. But I guess it depends on the pace, the profile of the ride and how much work I'd be able to put in.
    Note that all the riding I've been doing since starting again has been on my own (but I had a little bit of group riding experience, err, about 15 years ago, I'm sure it will come back quickly) so taking wheels should make my life a bit easier.

Rich-Ti wrote:
    Hope this is a good guide, but basically the numbers quoted on the first post in this thread give you good guidance on the ride speed and purpose anyway.

Cheers,

Rich

Very good guidance indeed, I think I could just do it.
    I'll check if the missus is in for a ride this weekend, and if she's not, then I'll try and join.
    If she wants to go cycling, it will have to wait till the next one (yeah, she's got advantages that you guys can't compete with, sorry) :)
    Esoteric80 wrote:
    Many of us ride Richmond Park in the evenings and would be happy to meet if you want to benchmark/train. Very Happy

Ah well, just about to go now, waiting for the girlfriend to come back from work.
    As I said, if not this week, I'm sure I'll manage to meet you guys for a test ride :)

Thanks again for the warm welcome and the information, it feels good to see there are some people out there willing to help a fellow cyclist, even if beginner!

• Rich-Ti
    Based on that reply, I say give it a go mate - you'll be just fine 8)
  • NWLondoner
    Come along you will be fine.
  • Well, for the moment, the girlfriend says she'll be fit for a Saturday ride.
    But then, yesterday her legs were pretty weak after our ride, so I'm not sure she'll have completely recovered by tomorrow morning and we might go Sunday instead. :roll:

If it's the case I'll be at the meeting point.

• Berns12
    So who is in tomorrow? At the moment I can only count

NW
    GBS
    HolyB (maybe)
    My mate Greg
    Myself
  • Might well make an appearance. Still on the lurgy recovery parabola so a non-Hoon may be what the Dr. orders.

Berns - think RedGreenBaron is coming as well.

9am? Anything earlier will not be possible.
  • Mal - pre-Sportive warm up?
    Wilf - ?
  • Berns12
    Mal - pre-Sportive warm up?
    Wilf - ?

I think Wilf is still have mechanicals with his bars?

Also in terms of the riding this weekend, I won't be doing the extra long route through Peaslake, Leith Hill, etc. I am commuting from Islington tomorrow. As such will have around 20kms already in the legs by the time I hit the start point. Also will be my first big ride in 2 weeks since the Tour des Cols, and likely still puke at the sight of any gradient as I did last night in a Hampstead work out session

I think NW was keen on doing the shorter route, so if you and RedGreenBaron want to do the longer route, we may have to split at the top of Coombe, although said that you two may catch us on the Epsom roundabouts.
  • NWLondoner
    I have no intention of doing the longer route tomorrow. So will be going left at the top of coombe. like Berns I will already have 15-20 km in the legs before the start point.
  • The emu
    The emu Posts: 347
    Handlebars are fine and FMT has given me a leave pass so I'm in! :D

The long grazed legged one
  • Can't make it this weekend, been working in Amsterdam this week and don't get back until Saturday morning - excellent prep for a sportive on Sunday :?

For those out, enjoy the ride.
  • I should be in tomorrow although a little saddle sore...

Any other preferences on start time?
  • Esoteric80 wrote:
    Any other preferences on start time?
    Any time for me...as long as it's after 8.59am.