2»

Comments

• RedJohn wrote:
    Or from further North

Colquohoun
    Farquhar
    Kirkcudbright
    Steornobhaigh :)

The first one is Culloon, as in the ex-Sheff U legend Eddie Colquohoun, whose name is still sung on the terraces.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    RedJohn wrote:
    Or from further North

Colquohoun
    Farquhar
    Kirkcudbright
    Steornobhaigh :)

stornoway?
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Stone me...a bit of the old dyslexia popping up there on the Montefoire/Montefiore episode :? .
    No wonder I didn't get any more work from Mrs Montefoire.
    Thanks for straightening that one out.
    -Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Stone me...a bit of the old dyslexia popping up there on the Montefoire/Montefiore episode :? .
    No wonder I didn't get any more work from Mrs Montefoire.
    Thanks for straightening that one out.
    -Jerry

PS- The stage 2 days ago where Cunego romped in; the last bit of the road is MOD property so the hill is about 1000m instead of 1400m as advertised on maps. I went to Benidorm a few years back and wanted to get up the top and found when I got there that a big gate stops the road. It's a long way from Wilsthire to that point to find out that I can't go up.
    I think the road is the CV-770 north from Sella to Alcoleja. Great for bike riding there in the Spring and Autumn. Saw a local Pro rider there twice (once with a mate who witnessed him) by the name of Miguel Indurain. This was him in his last few days as a Pro after abandoning the Vuelta that year. He gave me his customary whistle as I passed. Happy days! :D
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Colquohoun - Colk-hoon?
    Farquhar - Farker
    Kirkcudbright - kercudbree
    Steornobhaigh - Stornoway

How did I do? A scottish girl told me one of them so I should have one right. Although she only has a scottish accent when she's with her parents - very weird
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    prawny wrote:
    Colquohoun - Colk-hoon?
    Farquhar - Farker
    Kirkcudbright - kercudbree
    Steornobhaigh - Stornoway

How did I do? A scottish girl told me one of them so I should have one right. Although she only has a scottish accent when she's with her parents - very weird

in central scotland at least

Colquohoun - is pronounced Cullhoon with an H sound in the middle
    Farquhar -is prononced Farker in central scotland or the more posh Farkwhar in other areas
    Kirkcudbrigtht is pronounced kirkcoobrey (silent d and silent t)
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    andy_wrx wrote:
    I saw an interview with Menzies Campbell some years ago where he seemed quite unperturbed by Scots, let alone English and other foreigners, mispronouncing his name...

good ol Mingus :lol:
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Aaaaah now it makes sense - Menzies...

A term for a group of fat slappers.

e.g. Hark over yonder at that gaggle of Menzies outside Brighthouse.
  • FOAD
    FOAD Posts: 318
    Harmon/Kelly...the gods of cycling commentary...end of.

Who gives two hoots how they pronounce stuff.

General Classment FTW!
  • Birillo
    Birillo Posts: 417
    Pleased to see that Mr H. has taken the trouble to find out how Gesink pronounces his name, and now uses it on air. Dutch isn't the easiest of languages, so I'm impressed.

Veel bedankt!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Birillo wrote:
    Pleased to see that Mr H. has taken the trouble to find out how Gesink pronounces his name, and now uses it on air. Dutch isn't the easiest of languages, so I'm impressed.

Veel bedankt!

How is it meant to be said?

Is it:

Ge -sink (as in Get)
    Je - sink (as in Jet)
    He - sink (as in Hen)

I suspect it's the last one, but I'll still say the first. (I also say Cunego and Hushovd wrong)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    I think it's Hey-Zink.

Cunego is really hard to say properly... I just can't do it without saying Cu-naaaay-go.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    afx237vi wrote:
    I think it's Hey-Zink.

Cunego is really hard to say properly... I just can't do it without saying Cu-naaaay-go.

Me too. Coon-ago just doesn't seem right. Neither does Hoooooos-oft (I can't really do this one in letters)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    RichN95 wrote:
    Birillo wrote:

Veel bedankt!

How is it meant to be said?

Is it:

Ge -sink (as in Get)
    Je - sink (as in Jet)
    He - sink (as in Hen)

I suspect it's the last one, but I'll still say the first. (I also say Cunego and Hushovd wrong)

None of the above.

The closet sound for the G would be the "ch" in "loch" as in the loch ness monster, if you did in an authentic scottish accent.

It's a sound in the back of your throat.

The closet sound to the E in Gesink would be the "ey" in the word "hey" sound, but again, it's not that close.

at 1.15 the narrator says his name:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPosoMkIXPg

at 41 seconds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPvvseKVCwE
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • Pretentious? I just think it's polite to pronounce someone's name correctly. Towns are totally different. In English you don't refer to Stefan Schwarz as Steven Black but you do refer to Munich as Munchen (sorry, can't be bothered finding an umlaut).

French speakers will refer to Paris as Paris when speaking English and not Parree. Whereas they won't call Reims Reems, instead they will say Raaz as it is pronounced in French. Likewise when I speak French, I will say Edimbourg and Londres but I'll pronounce Hawick as Hoyk because that's what it's called.

Harmon puts a bit of effort in pronouncing names correctly but admits that he doesn't always get it right. I think it's admirable. If you take some time to establish the correct pronunciation of someone's name when you meet them, they tend to appreciate it.

How d'you pronounce Thierry Henry? Is that pretentious?
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • dulldave wrote:
    How d'you pronounce Thierry Henry?

I think it's something like Ah hoh hee hoh hee hon
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    FOAD wrote:
    Harmon/Kelly...the gods of cycling commentary...end of.

Who gives two hoots how they pronounce stuff.

General Classment FTW!

Hear, hear!
    Tho' I am pleased he is finally saying Beeankee and not Beeanchee!!!!!
    but thankfully doesn't say a la Liggit Leakygas - Leequeegas!!! :D:D
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • Could listen to Harmon and King Kelly all day. Just a pity the season is coming to an end.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Yesterday was an interesting one. Both DH and SK were pronouncing Bozic like Bo-zhack. Sounded a bit like Bergerac :lol:

Any Slovenians on the forum?
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Could listen to Harmon and King Kelly all day. Just a pity the season is coming to an end.

But they repeat and repeat all the time.
    I start listening until the repeat starts on a flat stage then It's the Mute Button and if there is something happening I try to listen again to see if they have started to commentate.
    I should be so Lucky. ??
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972