Harmon - wanted for murder

Birillo
Birillo Posts: 417
edited September 2009 in Pro race
. . . . of the Dutch language.

I winced every time he mentioned Gesink, Weening and Hoogerland today. He pronounced their names as though they were English.

David, believe me, Dutch doesn't sound anything like English.

Why can't you just ask one of your Dutch colleagues at Eurosport how to say their names correctly?

Comments

• will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    FFS who cares. How do you pronounce Paris? Or Glasgow? Like the locals? I doubt it.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Harmon can't win either way. There were people during the TDF taking the mick because he attempts to pronounce Spanish names the correct way, with a 'th' sound instead of a 'zz' sound.

BTW, I watched a few minutes of TVEi today and their pronunciation of Hoogerland was hilarious... it was somenthing like 'Huhula'.
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    Harmon is English, not Dutch
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    I agree with saying things in the English way. I don't call Rome "Roma" or Munich "Munchen".
    I can't talk Spanish, Dutch, Kazak or French etc. I secrectly have a french name and being English, I say my name in the English pronunciation. I think saying the surname "Voigt" should be said as we would say the actor John Voigt; not Voxxtttt.
    Don't get me on to Bombay/ Mumbai thing. When in India it's probably correct to call this City "Mumbai"; in the UK it's surely "BOMBAY"!! We'll be calling Moscow "Москва" soon; however the hell anyone says that!
    Bonkers Conkers!
    -Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • Almost all the pronounciations you hear him say are those told to him by the riders as he makes a point of seeking them out and asking.
  • jim one
    jim one Posts: 183
    I prefer the English way. It gets annoying when he says the Spanish names like Lopethhhh and I find myself having to convert it to the English of Lopez before I realise who the rider is.

With cycling not being a huge sport most the news is in a written form and therefore I would think most read David Lopez within an article(as opposed to Lopethhhh) which then sticks when you listen on TV.
  • If I hear the word 'Valenthia' one more time I swear I'll tear my ears off. Does he really pronounce Paris 'paree' during the TdF?

Did he also really say of a rider today (apologies, I can't remember who) that he had "literally tore the legs off his team-mates'?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    pauln99 wrote:
    If I hear the word 'Valenthia' one more time I swear I'll tear my ears off. Does he really pronounce Paris 'paree' during the TdF?

Paris-Roubaix? Paris-Nice?

Do some people watch Tyrrhenian-Adriatic while the rest of us are watching Tirreno-Adriatico?

Like I said, he can't win. Half will criticise him for Anglicizing things, while the other half will criticise him for not Anglicizing things.
  • jim one
    jim one Posts: 183
    afx237vi wrote:
    pauln99 wrote:
    If I hear the word 'Valenthia' one more time I swear I'll tear my ears off. Does he really pronounce Paris 'paree' during the TdF?

Paris-Roubaix? Paris-Nice?

Got to admit for those races I say Paree :oops:
  • Dagnabit

Me too :-)

Though I did say in the TdF, but I take the point.
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    jerry3571 wrote:
    Don't get me on to Bombay/ Mumbai thing. When in India it's probably correct to call this City "Mumbai"; in the UK it's surely "BOMBAY"!!
    According to my mate who worked regularly in India up to 5 or 6 years ago, the most of the locals do call it Bombay.
  • jerry3571
    I thought I heard on the radio that people from Bombay still call it Bombay.
    As far as Pareee Neess is concerned; good ole Sean Kelly says it like it is with his Paris-Nice (Parriss).
    I think Mr Harmen especially when he started was a bit enthused about his grasp of the foreign lingo. It was getting into the territory highlighted in this link-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1iX7AIh ... re=related

Cheers Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

-Jacques Anquetil
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    andrew_s wrote:
    jerry3571 wrote:
    Don't get me on to Bombay/ Mumbai thing. When in India it's probably correct to call this City "Mumbai"; in the UK it's surely "BOMBAY"!!
    According to my mate who worked regularly in India up to 5 or 6 years ago, the most of the locals do call it Bombay.
    I worked with a couple of people from Mumbai, they call it Bombay not Mumbai. When I mentioned it, they said they'd grown up with Bombay, and couldn't/didn't want to change what they called it.
  • will3
    FWIW I don't hold with fancy pronunciations of "Veloce" either. Or "Chorus", or "Record", and I can't be faffed trying to pronounce "105" in the proper Japanese.
  • "Hyaku-zero-go" from a non-Japanese would just be pretentious, and I suspect the Japs themselves use the English "one-oh-five" anyway, as foreign loan-words gives a product enhanced status.

The dilemma for Harmon is what to say in the spring races of northern Europe -- some of the places have different pronunciatons depending on whether one is French- or Dutch-speaking.
  • Topical

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAaqVORiTgA&feature=related

Gievitaway giveitaway giveitawaynow
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Yeah - but pronouncing someone's NAME correctly (as per how THEY pronounce it) is much different than trying to pronounce a city or country name in it's native tongue, etc.

If your name is Johan, and you call yourself Johan, and everyone knows you as Johan - do you really want someone calling you "John"?

(Just an example and I doubt the translation is correct).

It may sound silly when he pronounces a rider's name (THE WAY IT'S MEANT TO BE PRONOUNCED), but it's also the correct way to do it.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    At least it's not the "Shtad de Fraaance", ala John Motson.

Since when did French do German pronounciations for st?

Similarly, and this is where Harmon does get it wrong, (the Gs aside...) is that it's not Shtijn Devolder.

It's just an st.

It's only a sh sound in German. Not in Dutch.

I've given up trying to correct the English pronounciation of any Dutch name involving a G.

van Gogh just became a nightmare.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    What Harmon and most of the posters on this thread demonstrate is that sadly the British (and Spanish), - ahum, how to put this - do not excel at pronouncing foreign words, including names. Harmon tries, but fails, and many British listeners don't want to hear anything that sounds 'strange' and 'foreign'.

Still, would those supporting english pronounciations also support Paris-Nice with both cities pronounced the english way? Nice as the english word 'nice'? :roll: Or Fignon as Fikhnon?? ufff
  • jerry3571
    As I said before, I have a foriegn name and I would look a bit a funny at them if they did the foreign version when I was down my local. If i went to the country where my name originates from then they can call me as they think. I think when in Rome...
    The surname "Montefoire" interests me as I had a customer who's surname was this. Is it said in the french Montfwaa or as the Italain MontEfeeooray?

Cheers Jerry

PS- I'm loving this forum thread! :D

PPS- Once enjoyed the commentary of Phil Ligget once where Bjarne Riis made his first impact in the Tour de France. Phil saying about "the national Danish Road Champion "Barney Rice", pure genius!

-Jacques Anquetil
  • RedJohn
    RedJohn Posts: 272
    jerry3571 wrote:
    The surname "Montefoire" interests me as I had a customer who's surname was this. Is it said in the french Montfwaa or as the Italain MontEfeeooray?
    It's "Montfwaar" because "MontEfeeooray" would have been "Montefiore" not "Montefoire" :D

How do you pronounce Van Gogh anyway? I've usually gone for "Van Goch", where "Goch" is as in "Loch" (Ness).
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    RedJohn wrote:
    How do you pronounce Van Gogh anyway? I've usually gone for "Van Goch", where "Goch" is as in "Loch" (Ness).
    Halfway there :) ... both the g's are pronounced like the Scottish 'ch' in 'loch' (or the hard Iberian Spanish 'j', or the first sound of the Welsh 'll', or how the Arabs pronounce Sheikh), so it's Vahn Choch in Dutch
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Well, all this mispronunciation could be worse.

- Van Goch is Van Go, in American

Although that's a tent in Britain :lol:
  • will3
    Ha I know this one - I used to live on Gogh Road (on an estate where all the roads were named after painters)
    Official buckinghamshire pronounciation is:
    "Goff - that's G-O-G-H"

8)
  • RedJohn
    FJS wrote:
    RedJohn wrote:
    Halfway there :) ... both the g's are pronounced like the Scottish 'ch' in 'loch' (or the hard Iberian Spanish 'j', or the first sound of the Welsh 'll', or how the Arabs pronounce Sheikh), so it's Vahn Choch in Dutch
    Aah ... thank you kindly :)
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    I agree pronouncing things in a foreign accent is tres pretencious..

But how would the forum experts handle English Names?
    Feitherstonhaugh?
    Cholmondley?
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    I saw an interview with Menzies Campbell some years ago where he seemed quite unperturbed by Scots, let alone English and other foreigners, mispronouncing his name...
  • RedJohn
    Or from further North

Colquohoun
    Farquhar
    Kirkcudbright
    Steornobhaigh :)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    4kicks wrote:
    I agree pronouncing things in a foreign accent is tres pretencious..

But how would the forum experts handle English Names?
    Feitherstonhaugh?
    Cholmondley?

Fanshaw
    Chumley

I don't claim to be an expert - the second one I got from Harry Enfield.
    Twitter: @RichN95