Big Tex's comeback analysed

124»

Comments

• donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Since when was 3rd place and a podium spot in the Tour de France average? Especially when it comes after having broken his collarbone not too long before that.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    donrhummy wrote:
    Since when was 3rd place and a podium spot in the Tour de France average? Especially when it comes after having broken his collarbone not too long before that.

Bizarrely FF is maintaing that this is worse then average , i think the phrase non perfomance was being used to describe it.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Funny thread this, who has come out of it the worse, Frenchie or Big Tex.
  • IanLD
    IanLD Posts: 423
    Detest "Big Tex" but this thread has some bizarre posts. Funnily enough, I was thinking along the same lines as FF, but I have actually been able to see some of the other views expressed here and have to admit that third in the TdF is not a bad placing.

I'm hoping that he falls flat on his face next year, but can't take it away from him that at his age the performances are quite credible.

I'm assuming that we are on a reasonably level playing field with autologous blood doping being the most common factor just now. Any rider who is actually clean obviously ranks higher than their GC position.

My apologies for only having about 40 posts, so my 35 years of following cycling and taking part in competition don't count :wink:
  • RedJohn
    RedJohn Posts: 272
    owenrwall wrote:
    RedJohn wrote:
    Do you happen to know what a Brass Monkey is? Something else I've often wondered - I'd heard a story about a rack for storing cannonballs, but I've been assured that's not true.

Have to pop out for lunch now, but this has the makings of an interesting discussion.

You're right about the brass monkey being a store for cannon balls.
    The well known phrase "cold enough to freeze the balls of a brass monkey" comes from the era of the Napoleonic wars etc, the fact being that when the temperature dropped below a certain threshold, the iron cannon balls (which were supposedly stacked on a brass holder) had a greater differential rate of contraction and therefore popped out from their position. Hence the phrase.

It could be bu**s**t tho............................. :wink:
    Yeah that's the one I'd heard. Also heard that wasn't true, tho' it sounds credible to me.
    As for bu||sh!t ... there's quite a bit of that around too isn't there :roll: