Anyone in Harrogate area?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
I'm staying in Harrogate for a couple of weeks at the end of Oct/Early Nov and will be taking a bike. Anyone know any routes or up for a ride during the week?

Comments

• paulgw
    paulgw Posts: 135
    Nap, Loads of great cycling from Harrogate. For a hilly challenge, you could head West out to Fewston/Menwith Hill (A59 westbound but you can get there on lanes as the A59 is not very cycle friendly) and pick up the White Rose Challenge routes into the Dales (http://www.whiterosechallenge.co.uk/Routes.php). Alternatively if you fancied a flatter route, head North and East from, up to RIpon and into the Vale of York. Or aim for Ilkley and head up Wharfedale - you can do decide how far up the valley to go - Bolton Abbey, Burnsall, Grassington, Kettlewell etc and work out loops which take you up one side of the river and back on the other. All fantastic scenery and v popular with the cycling fraternity hereabouts.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Yep - as above. Go anywhere you like and it should be good. Not sure which the White Rose routes are but there are some good climbs around Pateley Bridge. You can also head up North, past Ripon and on towards Darlington with very little gradient if you like it flat. North Yorks Moors are reachable as well. You'd do well to find a bad route!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Anonymous
    I'll have a do at the white rose challenge routes I think. Trying to work out which OS map would be best but struggling!

Cheers for the help so far!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Lots of crossing of map boundaries!! I get the maps I need and photocopy them into whatever it is that will cover my route most usefully but 98, 99 and 104 for Harrogate itself are probably the main ones for the hillier areas.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • paulgw
    If you have a Garmin you can download the GPX files for the White Rose routes from Mapmyride.com

Short route (52 miles) here: http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... y/34253689
    Middle route (84miles) here: http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... /493625884
    Can't find the long route.

These are routes from the White Rose Challenge (not to be confused with the White Rose Classic which starts in Hawes). I've done both the short and middle routes and they are fantastic rides. If you start in Harrogate and join the routes at Fewston you'll add about 10 miles to the totals. Beware though there will be a sting in the tail doing it that way - Langbar and Norwood Bank at the end of a hilly ride will be an interesting challenge!
  • Anonymous
    I've never used my Garmin 305 for this sort of shennanigans, I may start! I can do it on an Edge 305, can't I??
  • You're in for a treat there ND; like Rolf said it really is difficult to plot a bad route round that way. I'm perhaps a bit biased, but I'll second the 'head for Ilkley and ride up Wharfedale' idea - I've done it god knows how many times but I never get bored of it! I may just be about for a ride out too, but a bit early to say for sure.
  • paulgw
    Yes. I have a 305 as well.

It's a bit faffy but doable. Essentially you have to convert the file from a GPX to something that the 305 recognises - ie a .tcx file. Once you have the tcx file in TC you can upload to the 305 as a course (you can also add coursepoints to mark summits, etc if you feel so inclined). When you are ready to go and at a point on the course, press the "mode" button on the 305 until you get to the menu screen. then it's Training - Courses - (select the course you have created) - Do Course. The GPS picks up where you are and you can then just follow the breadcrumb trail. The 305 will warn you if you go off course.

What I do is:

1) Download the GPX file to the desktop
    2) Upload to Bikeroutetoaster. You will have to create an ID to do this but it's free. Once you are logged in you can go to "Create Course" and upload the GPX.
    3) Go to the "Summary" tab and pick the option to download as a TCX.
    4) Download the TCX to your desktop
    5) Open Training Centre
    6) File - Import - Courses. Making sure you are looking at the desktop, select the course you have just created and open it.
    7) Attach the 305 to the computer then in TC - File - Send to device.

You should now have the course in the 305.

Frank Kinlan has a great blog with lots of info about course creation and Route creation for the 305. I have done both but find courses to be better for me. You could Google his blog if you need more info.

Hope that helps.
  • Anonymous
    Cooool! Cheers! I've had it 18 months and never bothered to do this!
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    http://www.bikehike.co.uk/index.html
    My Dallowgill Loop may interest you. It is 38 miles with 2900ft climbing nearly all on small lanes. Log in/register and look for routes within 5km of HG1.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Well it's near the dales so be sure to check out some of the awesome climbs like buttertubs, park rash etc... and have a ride up to Tan Hill for some Guinness :lol:

Oh, I recommend you go try out greenhow Hill (B6265), from Grassington to Pately Bridge, it's long and steady 12%, real challenge.

I've not got any routes but you could ride from Harrogate, Ripon, Masham, Middleham, then from there follow the roads down these little villages such as Coverham, Carlton, Horsehouse to Kettlewell, then to Grassington, up the B6265 to Pately Bridge, from there follow the little roads down through glasshouses, braithwaite, thornthwaite, menwith hill, Hampsthwaite and then back to Harrogate.

I was just looking at the map and picked places out I know of from when I've done lots of club runs that go into the dales, one things for sure either way it may not be one of the best routes but sure will be a good one.

I'd draw up a route in bikehike but the damn thing won't load properly.

I really wish I lived near Harrogate, the mileage would be so much less to get to the dales, I'd not have to do about 80 miles worth of flat/rolling just to get there and back :(
  • John.T
    Oh, I recommend you go try out greenhow Hill (B6265), from Grassington to Pately Bridge, it's long and steady 12%, real challeng
    I would not describe Greenhow quite like that Will. The first 3 steps are close to 20%. It probably averages about 8% but it eases off a lot near the top.
  • freehub
    According to my GPS it's 12% for most of the way then at the top it lets off, then you get abit rolling then an awesome decent.
  • John.T
    I think my legs and eyes are a bit more sensitive than your GPS. There is a short steep section from Pateley Bridge up to the Eagle level lane end, then it levels off for about 100 yds. It then kicks up for about 400 yds round a series of bends before easing a little. There is then another not quite so steep section before it finally eases a bit for the top section.
    One of our local Audax rides did it twice in a day. Ouch, especially as it also did Fleet Moss from Hawes and Park Rash from Kettlewell.
  • freehub
    I was talking about Greenhow Hill from Grassington to Pately bridge, it's most certainly not 20% IMO, the but going into pately, well I think that is it, I remember going down a steep decent after Greenhow hill and it has some sharp corners, spoilt by slow cars, never being up it though, the easy side of Park rash is steeper than Greenhow hill, not as hard though cause it's only short. And the % on my GPS is accurate. I have done these hills too you know!! I'm not just making stuff up.

Fleet Moss from Hawes is a bugger especially right after something to eat, now that is steep, I'd guess over 20% but I never thought to look at my GPS at the time.

When we go into the dales, we do most of the big climbs and loads of other steep bits, I remember this other steep bendy hill that goes on a road heading otley way apparently, that was hard! I'm not the be
  • John.T
    Locally Greenhow Hill is the climb from Pately Bridge to Greenhow village. Coming from Grassington there are 2 climbs. The first is fairly big with a sharp LH bend at the bottom called Dibbles Bridge. It made the news some years ago when a coach failed to make the bend with fatal results. It resulted in a change in the law regarding secondary braking systems on coaches. This one is about 10% nearly all the way up. The next one is up past Stump Cross cavern and is a bit of a beast. about 200 yds at 20% followed by a half mile drag which really kills the legs. Dibbles Bridge is great going down if you know it well. I got 66mph down there on the White Rose the other year. You really need to know about the bend and the bump in the middle of the braking zone.
    The top section of Fleet Moss is 25% but the 1/4 mile before it is around 15%. As you say 'a bu**er'.
    I am not suggesting you are making things up but this has been my cycling back yard for over 55 years so I know it rather well.

ND. What days are you here and what sort of level and distance are you looking for. I may be able to give some pointers or company.
  • freehub
    Yes after the sharp left hand bend thats the hill I was on about, I called it greenhow hill cause that's what it was on the map, that's the one that's 12% all the way up.
  • Anonymous
    Cheers for the light hearted debate on hills and the like!

I'm around mon-fri both weeks, in the daytime too depending on what time my physio appointments will be.

Just steady riding at the moment, nowt more than 60 miles really.

Would love someone to show me the good riding!!
  • Anonymous
    This is the ride I did today (Well, supposed to have done, I went a bit further in a couple of places and had to turn back, including missing the right hand turn at Greenhow once I had got the the top from Burnsall)

It was grand! Ended up doing about 62 miles in 3hr 52.

Leg is coming along nicely...

Not a huge amount of climbing so wasn't too bad. The climb from Burnsall to Greenhow was great!

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=24611
  • That's not wildly different from a route that I do now and again:

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=22988

That climb from Skyreholme up to Greenhow is a good 'un; if you're out that way again try taking the first left after you go over the bridge at Burnsall; that's a climb called Hartlington Raikes which is worth doing. About a mile after that you'll get to the Dibble's Bridge climb which Will/John were talking about.

I can also highly recommend going up to Kettlewell or maybe even Buckden - if you liked Lower Wharfedale you'll love Upper Wharfedale!
  • GAWOOD
    GAWOOD Posts: 36
    I'm very jealous NapD.

I live and work in Harrogate and the first thought that entered my mind when seeing the weather this morning and driving to work was "what a great day for a 4-5 hour ride in the Dales".

Glad you enjoyed the route - I especially like the fast road down from Greenhow back to Menwith. Would love to join you but working all this week including Saturday.
  • Anonymous
    Thought I'd do a much easier 35 miler today.

It wasn't much easier!! Weather was ace though.
    Even saw two kids walking their ferrets on leads!

There was no flat whatsoever and some of the descents were rather gnarly due to a mix of steepness / wet leaves.

Found the hardest hill I've ever done too! (coming out of Pately Bridge, turn left and OMG!)

Almost broke me!

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=24744
  • GAWOOD
    GAWOOD Posts: 36
    I know the one you mean - only ever gone down that one (for good reason)

You could have also turned right before the start of that hill and that would have taken you the back road up Greenhow. I think that is much tougher than up the main road.

There is also Church Lane out of Pateley which is off the high street, so coming from Harrogate down the main road and then go 90 degrees right where the main road goes 90 turn sharp left. That one is a real brute but worth it as it takes you to the tops of the moors and then you've got a good 5 miles or so downhill.

I've linked to some of my favourite rides around here.

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... 1863886643

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... 4676141971
  • leedsmjh
    leedsmjh Posts: 196
    I know that hill too.

I once intended to take the back road up to Greenhow, took a wrong turn and ended up on that.

OMG didn't quite cover it
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • jacster
    jacster Posts: 177
    NapoleonD wrote:

Found the hardest hill I've ever done too! (coming out of Pately Bridge, turn left and OMG!)

Almost broke me!

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=24744

I love that hill. Even if I'm at 3mph it will never break me! :lol:
  • Anonymous
    I was almost crying for a compact!
  • It looks like an absolute killer. I have already planned a route how to get there. :D
  • Anonymous
    It starts off so innocently!
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    http://www.colombachemoclassic.org.uk/

Not quite Harrogate but if you're still up in the area this ride may be interesting.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace