Weekend Fat Boy Ride

gb155
gb155 Posts: 2,048
edited October 2009 in Commuting chat
Well its a 3 day weekend, I have a couple of quality new (semi used) bikes and the weather is CRAP.

I am hoping to get out of 15-20 miles on Monday, do any of our larger members (ohhhhh matron) want to join in ? I know being a large member myself :oops: that club riding etc is way out of reach so maybe something like this could well work

No idea on time, route, hills etc we can decided all that later if anyone wants to,.
On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
Now the hard work starts.

Comments

• PinkPedal
    PinkPedal Posts: 180
    Hey GB, take it you are no where near London but are you sure that club riding is out of the question. I've just started going on a saturday club ride and there are groups of fast, intermediate and steady (I am steady aka slow, esp this morning after having about 3 hours sleep and very little food!) and the pace is quite managable though hilly. Always worth checking out whether your local bike clubs run anything similar? If so then you know that you can always head out with them when there's no one else around to cycle with.
  • gb155
    PinkPedal wrote:
    Hey GB, take it you are no where near London but are you sure that club riding is out of the question. I've just started going on a saturday club ride and there are groups of fast, intermediate and steady (I am steady aka slow, esp this morning after having about 3 hours sleep and very little food!) and the pace is quite managable though hilly. Always worth checking out whether your local bike clubs run anything similar? If so then you know that you can always head out with them when there's no one else around to cycle with.

Nahhh im up north mate, What do you call a slow pace? How many miles over how long ? :D

• PinkPedal
    PinkPedal Posts: 180
    Hmm, I am a metric girl but I know that the ride is about 32 miles and the first week I went we rode mainly about 20-25 kilometres an hour (obv slower uphill and faster down!) and no one gets left behind along the route. Today's felt a bit faster, I was laterne rouge mostly as was feeling rough but still no one was left behind.
  • gb155
    PinkPedal wrote:
    Hmm, I am a metric girl but I know that the ride is about 32 miles and the first week I went we rode mainly about 20-25 kilometres an hour (obv slower uphill and faster down!) and no one gets left behind along the route. Today's felt a bit faster, I was laterne rouge mostly as was feeling rough but still no one was left behind.

Humm thanks for that, seems I could live in the slower group

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Get your fat arse down here join me and my fat belly and I'll show you some proper hills... nice and slow but a good circuit :)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • gb155
    Get your fat ars* down here join me and my fat belly and I'll show you some proper hills... nice and slow but a good circuit :)

Cant ride with you yet mate

My rape alarm is being fixed :D

• Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Harsh very harsh :) wouldn't mind coming along but I've had a week of gastric flu and not back on the bike yet - wouldn't mind some time though - Keirans patch is about 2 hours drive for me
  • gb155
    Harsh very harsh :) wouldn't mind coming along but I've had a week of gastric flu and not back on the bike yet - wouldn't mind some time though - Keirans patch is about 2 hours drive for me

Harsh but fair :D

Joking aside we should arrange something as I need to see Mr Burns for business :oops: :D

• Jay dubbleU
    Cool - next weekend ? 8) Would be a privilege to ride with you Gaz - I'm sure between us we can keep Mr Burns under some kind of control
  • Kieran_Burns
    LOL!

If you like I can sort out any kind of circuit around here. From ultra flat to short sharp hills, long shallow climbs, very quiet country roads (one circuit I do has GRASS growing down the middle of the road!!) and anything from 15 to 60 miles.

I could even throw in the bridleway I keep banging on about :wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • gb155
    Cool - next weekend ? 8) Would be a privilege to ride with you Gaz - I'm sure between us we can keep Mr Burns under some kind of control

Sorry man im riding the Manchester 100 next weekend, will probs be the latter part of Sept but we will get something sorted and yes we will between us keep him in check :shock: :D

• Jay dubbleU
    Sounds good to me - we can have a crack at the bridleway if you like - Gaz - good luck on the Manchester 100 8)
  • Kieran_Burns
    I've had a thought and found a very nice 30 miler with about 1000 ft of climbs (all at the start!) It's a run I've done variations of in the past and really enjoyed it. I can extend or shorten it on the fly. It's a route that lends itself to cut off points at all sorts of places.

The best bit is: we can start at the Salt Box cafe - have a PROPER chips meal and then burn off the calories!!
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Jay dubbleU
    Sounds good to me - I can do any day except the 13th- could do with some real chips - think I've lost about a stone in the last week - not a weight loss method I would recommend
  • Kieran_Burns
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • gb155
    I know I have been trying to keep it quiet but......I am on a diet boys :D:D:D:D

• Kieran_Burns
    Like I said: you can burn it off. Or just have a cup of tea (award winning!) while we stuff our faces :wink:

I hope this one saves!!

www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=18114

That's the proposed route - lots of country lanes, a few villages and the bridleway. Two hills of note - short and sharp, and both before the half way mark.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Can I come even if I'm not fat? It would be 80 miles for me in total, so I'd be taking it rather slowly.

This is assuming that Kieran's route is road bike accessible...
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    Like the route Kieran.

How come you start at 187ft - have an ascent of 978ft, a descent of 1038ft and end up where you started (187ft)? The hills round here arn't like that! although I wish they were) :D

-Spider-
  • gb155
    whyamihere wrote:
    Can I come even if I'm not fat? It would be 80 miles for me in total, so I'd be taking it rather slowly.

This is assuming that Kieran's route is road bike accessible...

For sure, as long as we dont get burn off :)

• gb155
    KB, Sounds good man, thanks for the effort, now all we need to do is fix up a date

• Kieran_Burns
    The route IS road bike accessible - the Bridleway is fine for the odd hop. It was only the daily grind through Winter that my old roadie didn't like. There are a couple of cattle grids right at the end, and some annoying gates, but it keeps us off the busier roads.... I can add about 4 miles on and avoid this - add in a couple of villages as well as a really great piece of single track road... Now I think about it....

If I know numbers (and it ain't too high!) I'll do a fried rice thing for afterwards. (Salt Box does lunch menu from 11 - 2 )

Any weekend is fine for me - but the sooner the better so we don't hit the Autumn rain.

Oh, and I may well have a different bike to ride on :wink:

Whyamihere? Where are you? I can fit 4 cars on the drive if parked right so if you want to drive over and do the same route as the rest of us....
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • whyamihere
    I'm near Lichfield. As I can't drive though, that might be difficult. ;)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Ah. Run through Kings Bromley, Yoxall, Barton, Rangemore, Tutbury... there's some hills in that route! Doable... but hard work. (done it myself - nice run but harder on the way TO mine)

Although 2 hills make it worth while - the one to Tutbury after 5 lanes end is incredible and the one after Rangemore Hall on the way home - I hit 43 on my Tricross and wasn't really trying.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • whyamihere
    I occasionally nip up to Ashbourne via roughly the route I'll have to take, so I know the area fairly well. I didn't know you were so close to my stomping grounds...
  • Jay dubbleU
    whyamihere wrote:
    I'm near Lichfield. As I can't drive though, that might be difficult. ;)

I'm coming via M5/M6 so I guess I could divert and pick you up on the way through if thats any help

Edit - looks as though we 25/26 is going to be best for me
  • whyamihere
    Thanks for the offer. I'd be fine for getting there, but I may beg a lift home at the end if you wouldn't mind?
  • Jay dubbleU
    No worries :)
  • Kieran_Burns
    If you do the M6 then you'll be coming up the A38 which goes right past Lichfield, so it's going to be only a short hop out of your way.

26/27 is good for me as well

Saturday 26th?

Oh, that add on to avoid the Cattle grids - it's only 2 miles and a nicer route, so I'll add that on at the end
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Kieran_Burns
    whyamihere wrote:
    I occasionally nip up to Ashbourne via roughly the route I'll have to take, so I know the area fairly well. I didn't know you were so close to my stomping grounds...

A515???? :shock:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X