Forum home Road cycling forum Training, fitness and health

Adrenaline rush!

BhimaBhima Posts: 2,145
How does adrenaline actually help when cycling?

Does it physically affect the way your body functions on the bike?

I think it gives me a boost, but perhaps it's all in my head... I don't believe it actually helps physically, it just makes my mind a little more focussed.

I've tried to fake an adrenaline rush, but my brain obviously knows i'm faking it, so it doesn't work. :roll:

Posts

  • mikeqmikeq Posts: 141
    It prepares the body for "fight or flight" and shuts down unnecessary functions like digestion, hence the reason we get "butterflies" in the stomach when nervous.

    It increases oxygen and glucose to the brain and muscles, turns glycogen (stored glucose) back into glucose from the liver and begins to break down lipids in the fat cells, which are then released into the blood stream for energy.

    This is one of the reasons it is not good to be stressed all the time, being stressed begins the "fight or flight" process, continually releasing fats etc into the blood. If this is caused by lots of stress and the released fats are not used then this can lead to furring up of the arteries leading to heart disease and stroke
    Cycling from Glasgow to Paris to raise funds for Asthma UK

    www.velochallenge.org
  • rokkalarokkala Posts: 648
    Bhima wrote:
    How does adrenaline actually help when cycling?

    Does it physically affect the way your body functions on the bike?

    I think it gives me a boost, but perhaps it's all in my head... I don't believe it actually helps physically, it just makes my mind a little more focussed.

    I've tried to fake an adrenaline rush, but my brain obviously knows i'm faking it, so it doesn't work. :roll:

    What a bizarre question. Of course adrenaline affects you physically. Check out many feats of strength by oldies/children when their family are in danger.

    I remember jumping clean over a 5ft fence when i was younger while being chased through a field by a bull :lol:

    And er, how exactly have you tried to 'fake' an adrenaline rush?
  • BhimaBhima Posts: 2,145
    Thanks mikeq, that's the sort of info I was looking for.

    Rokkala - When i'm out cycling with others, occasional sprints for signs or whatever always give me an adrenaline rush, so I've tried to fake it by pretending i'm being chased by someone, when practicing on TT courses. Never seems to work though because I subconsciously know there's nobody there.
  • freehubfreehub Posts: 4,257
    Is adrenaline the reason I find on the bike I'm able to go the whole day without needing a censored ?
  • pianomanpianoman Posts: 706
    No, it's probably your food is getting used as fuel rather than either getting stored as fat or going straight through as waste. When on the bike, food is being used the way it's meant to be.

    As for adrenaline, try having a strong coffee before a Club 10 and see how the speed goes up, thanks to more focus and the energy-burning capabilities of caffeine. It worked for me :D
  • InfamousInfamous Posts: 1,130
    Bhima wrote:
    Rokkala - When i'm out cycling with others, occasional sprints for signs or whatever always give me an adrenaline rush, so I've tried to fake it by pretending i'm being chased by someone, when practicing on TT courses. Never seems to work though because I subconsciously know there's nobody there.
    Here's a wacky idea, why not do a TT when other people are around?
  • freehubfreehub Posts: 4,257
    I've tried coffe in the morning to help me get to college, I use about 3 teaspoons of nescafe, sometimes nescafe alta rica, and I'm still slow I want something that gets me wired and lets me pedal at around 275RPM to get me to college extra quick :shock:
  • BhimaBhima Posts: 2,145
    freehub wrote:
    I want something that gets me wired and lets me pedal at around 275RPM to get me to college extra quick :shock:

    Honey + 34x27 gear + emergency oxygen mask
Sign In or Register to comment.