Hesitant posts

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited October 2009 in The bottom bracket
Is anyone else out there hesitant about new posts. I enjoy taking the mick and vice-versa, but it seems lot's of us post on here, open up a view and it soon spirals into a slanging match, myself included. Obviously there are a lot of different viewpoints out there, diversity being a good thing but I think it is getting really nippy on here.

Ok so, also this being ironic, this post will also get the P155 ripped out of it, don't mind really, just want your thoughts about peoples responses. Dunno what I'm trying to say really, might go and have a nap.

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    edited August 2009
    You ****

only kidding, I think a lot of us agree.
    But there are only really 2 disagreements - Shimano or campag, and pro- or anti-Lance; nothing else matters much :wink:
  • I've commented elsewhere regarding how some people respond on here. It depresses me just how aggressive and angry people can get over the most ridiculous things.

It's Shimano for me all the way and I always wear a helmet. RLJs will get what they deserve.

:P
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    Hesitant Posts

The best film Tarantino ever made and I'll k*ck the f*ck out of anyone who disagrees. :lol:
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • jrduquemin
    jrduquemin Posts: 791
    bompington wrote:
    You ****

But there are only really 2 disagreements - Shimano or campag, and pro- or anti_Lance; nothing else matters much :wink:

You forgot about milk or plain? ;-)
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    peace & love
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Hee.......Heee.............Hello dmcli....................................................................
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • skinson
    skinson Posts: 362
    shaven or unshaven?
    Dave
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    dmclite wrote:
    Is anyone else out there hesitant about new posts. I enjoy taking the mick and vice-versa, but it seems lot's of us post on here, open up a view and it soon spirals into a slanging match, myself included. Obviously there are a lot of different viewpoints out there, diversity being a good thing but I think it is getting really nippy on here.

Ok so, also this being ironic, this post will also get the P155 ripped out of it, don't mind really, just want your thoughts about peoples responses. Dunno what I'm trying to say really, might go and have a nap.

Weren't you a Para? Aren't Paras the ones who failed the entry test for the marines?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    jrduquemin wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    You ****

But there are only really 2 disagreements - Shimano or campag, and pro- or anti_Lance; nothing else matters much :wink:

You forgot about milk or plain? ;-)

Tubulars vs clinchers has been known to cause some "heated discussion". To put it mildly.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Hesitant posts. Do they hold up the fence that people sit on?
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    skinson wrote:
    shaven or unshaven?
    Dave
    :shock:

Eh, ... what kind of bikes are we talking about again?

No, never mind. Perhaps i shouldn't have posted. Then again ... :?

I'll see myself out. :arrow:
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • stevenmh
    stevenmh Posts: 180
    dmclite wrote:

I am new here so my view is probably not the best as I have only been on the forum a short while.

However, in just one thread recently I have been called a ****, and a **** and was told some of my posts were patronising.

I am a member of quite a few other forums and most members are professionals (hence older and possibly, some of the time at least, more mature). The moderation is excellent, everybody knows the rules, and any posts breaking them are quickly deleted, members banned, blocked etc. Anything that is not for the benefit of the group is basically off limits. So taunts, flaming, childish name calling etc does not even become an issue.

I do like BR, but imho it needs to be better moderated. If you let people, start, continue, or help build fights between members then they will.

Everyone is probably here for the same reason - cycling, whether it be to learn about how to improve themselves or their bike, read a review, write one perhaps. Whatever it be Road or MTB, or a Ducatti with an engine, it really should not matter.

So I do think moderation is key.

But am I hesitant to post? Not yet, but eventually some people will get tired of the childish bickering and silly name calling and move to other forums, or even start their own. This would be a shame as the majority of members on BR are great, but there is, as always, a minority that....
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    If you report a post, we'll take appropriate action.

The moderation team don't have the time or inclination to read anywhere near every post. We need you to help us out.
  • stevenmh
    whyamihere wrote:
    If you report a post, we'll take appropriate action.

The moderation team don't have the time or inclination to read anywhere near every post. We need you to help us out.

The forums I am a member of are much, much busier than this forum and yet I never have any problem.

As just one user, I may report one thread, perhaps two, but after that time I give up and go elsewhere.

Of course I do understand that just one user is not important, still.

Rather than ask members to self-moderate which some quite obviously cannot do, then perhaps BR should appoint more Moderators. As I said before, there are plenty of great guys (and gals) here who have been members for years, get them to moderate, make the board rules clearer. It would only take a few people, as most of your traffic is UK time-based anyway, and even then the no. of posts divied by more mods would not be that great anyway.
  • whyamihere
    That assumes that every post will be read with more moderators. They won't. I ignore entire sections that I have no interest in, the Track section for example. In the sections I do read, I'll ignore the threads I'm not interested in. We're users as well as just moderators, we do it because we want our forum experience to be more enjoyable.

Another thing to consider: If none of our 162549 users report a post, why shouldn't we take that as a passive endorsement of the content? It may well be that most of the users prefer a more lively, boisterous forum.
  • stevenmh
    whyamihere wrote:
    Another thing to consider: If none of our 162549 users report a post, why shouldn't we take that as a passive endorsement of the content? It may well be that most of the users prefer a more lively, boisterous forum.

Very true, although we all know that there are not that many active users. Anyway this is not about the number or users etc.

But if you want feedback from active members, then in this section alone there is more than one recent thread questioning the way people act on here, I saw another thread in a different section asking the same questions etc.

There are also other threads in here and other sections that were purely created to fan an ongoing argument.

Assuming a member would report a thread. I find that will only happen occasionally. Even I would have to think twice before reporting a thread, as I did yesterday, when I was called a ****.

Does it mean I endoirse the post if I do not? No. Does it mean I am happy if I do not report it? No. So silence really means very little.

Instead people that do not like it, will simply leave, or start fights or both. Eventually you end up with one more user to add to the large number you quoted and one less active member.
  • How does a thread get reported? Just a PM to the moderator?
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    whyamihere wrote:
    That assumes that every post will be read with more moderators. They won't. I ignore entire sections that I have no interest in, the Track section for example. In the sections I do read, I'll ignore the threads I'm not interested in. We're users as well as just moderators, we do it because we want our forum experience to be more enjoyable.

So it seems that moderators will only moderate on topics they are interested in, and only if they feel like it, as they moderate for thier own gratification.

Moderators should be impartial, openminded people who ensure the rules of the site are complied with by all, regardless of their own enjoyment.

It seems that forum rules are not consistently being up-help by the moderators. What then, is the point in having moderators?
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Anonymous
    Don't think its a case for moderation, I find I have been guilty of knee jerk reactions, got into discussions I didn't want to and ended up feeling hacked off. trying to make a concious effort to keep it light and less confrontational, bit still gently rib people and try to be a bit more upbeat. God I sound like a hippy, someone have a pop at me and set me straight. :wink:
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    stevenmh wrote:
    I am a member of quite a few other forums and most members are professionals (hence older and possibly, some of the time at least, more mature). The moderation is excellent, everybody knows the rules, and any posts breaking them are quickly deleted, members banned, blocked etc. Anything that is not for the benefit of the group is basically off limits. So taunts, flaming, childish name calling etc does not even become an issue.
    That sounds like a pretty neutered, antiseptic environment, to me. I'm inclined to go the other way: though I support moderation for the purposes of controlling spam, I'd prefer to let the community manage itself with regard to odious members and comments. It's always frustrated me that these kinds of forums disallow swear words; unless you resort to cutesy misspellings, you can't use the language that journalists in my ordinary daily newspaper get to enjoy.

My holier-than-thou phone refuses, in the same po-faced way, to let me text these words, too: I end up swearing at it as it dutifully offers "shiv" or "ducking".
  • Anonymous
    dmclite wrote:

Weren't you a Para? Aren't Paras the ones who failed the entry test for the marines?

Yes I was a para, and no fail test to be a cabbagehead. Not being sensitive on my original post. have a go yourself, join up and see what its like. then we can swap stories and get drunk and have manly wrestles. What job do you do ?
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    dmclite wrote:
    Don't think its a case for moderation, I find I have been guilty of knee jerk reactions, got into discussions I didn't want to and ended up feeling hacked off. trying to make a concious effort to keep it light and less confrontational, bit still gently rib people and try to be a bit more upbeat. God I sound like a hippy, someone have a pop at me and set me straight. :wink:

This^^^^^^^^.

It's not really that bad on here is it? I'm a member of, and read, some forums that are pretty much all out war (and it can be quite entertaining). It's only in the last few weeks that some chippiness has crept onto the boards and I'm sure it'll die down.
    Maybe we're all getting tetchy due to the cr*p summer...
  • whyamihere
    So it seems that moderators will only moderate on topics they are interested in, and only if they feel like it, as they moderate for thier own gratification.

Moderators should be impartial, openminded people who ensure the rules of the site are complied with by all, regardless of their own enjoyment.

It seems that forum rules are not consistently being up-help by the moderators. What then, is the point in having moderators?
    If we checked every topic, we wouldn't have time for anything else. Unfortunately, we all have a tendency to go out on our bikes, for example. Most of the moderators have jobs, others of us are students. This is something we do in our spare time.

Having said that, there are many things which no user ever sees that we manage to delete before they're even noticed. We'll often sweep through looking for obvious spam threads and delete any we find.
    heftyrider wrote:
    How does a thread get reported? Just a PM to the moderator?
    See the red exclamation mark button above every post? Click it.
  • Anonymous
    CHRISNOIR wrote:
    dmclite wrote:

This^^^^^^^^.

It's not really that bad on here is it? I'm a member of, and read, some forums that are pretty much all out war (and it can be quite entertaining). It's only in the last few weeks that some chippiness has crept onto the boards and I'm sure it'll die down.
    Maybe we're all getting tetchy due to the cr*p summer...

No CHRISNOIR it isn't that bad on here, I like it when there is a lot of mickey taking to and fro, good banter and such. Think I was having an off day when I posted this post. I don't know if cyclists are more plain speaking/defensive than most, but I like it on here, lots of different subjects, sense of humour and intelligent observations. Right I'm off to sort out my records, Mrs dmclite wants me to sell all my old albums, how can I sell all original Smiths, JAMC, Janes Addiction, Primal scream etc ? I might sell her instead....
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    whyamihere wrote:

So it seems that moderators will only moderate on topics they are interested in, and only if they feel like it, as they moderate for thier own gratification. ...
    But that's not what he said, is it? Essentially, Whyamihere said that they'll moderate where they find a need to moderate, ie. where an individual moderater happens to be looking: boards and threads that interest them - or if a post / poster is brought to their attention. [grammar nazi] This is one way that flaming starts: not reading/understanding what was written and then going off the deep end. That is why what they were trying to teach us in English at school is important: communication skills! [/ grammar nazi]

Personally, I think that there's a good balance on here. Definitely less 'boisterous' than elsewhere. Sometimes I think a well placed emoticon would help to communicate that a post is banter, though, than anything else.
    dmclite wrote:
    Mrs dmclite wants me to sell all my old albums, how can I sell all original Smiths, JAMC, Janes Addiction, Primal scream etc ? I might sell her instead....
    It's good to see that someone's level headed and got their priorities right. :wink:
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    I ithink we had a similar thread recently, where I mentioned that these forums are like a vicar's tea party compared to some of the motorcycle forums I visit.

I moderate on one of them - and that is like a bad day in Beirut compared to here...
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    Crapaud wrote:
    So it seems that moderators will only moderate on topics they are interested in, and only if they feel like it, as they moderate for thier own gratification. ...

But that's not what he said, is it? Essentially, Whyamihere said that they'll moderate where they find a need to moderate, ie. where an individual moderater happens to be looking: boards and threads that interest them - or if a post / poster is brought to their attention. [grammar nazi] This is one way that flaming starts: not reading/understanding what was written and then going off the deep end. That is why what they were trying to teach us in English at school is important: communication skills! [/ grammar nazi]

Personally, I think that there's a good balance on here. Definitely less 'boisterous' than elsewhere. Sometimes I think a well placed emoticon would help to communicate that a post is banter, though, than anything else....

I'm not trying to flame anyone, and i haven't gone off the deep end. I was just paraphrasing and giving an opinion on what whyamihere said i.e. Individual moderators will intervene when something is reported to them, or they see something they don't like.

This leaves things open to individual bias or discretion, depending on the moderators point of view and possibly, mood.

There may well be rules as to how and when and in what manner a moderator can intervene, but that is not what seems to be done, at least according to whyamihere.

it is this apparent lack of structure to moderating that I am not sure about.

Saying that, there have been only a few instances where I have reported a post and I am generally quite happy with the way the site is run.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • redddraggon
    dmclite wrote:
    Yes I was a para, and no fail test to be a cabbagehead. Not being sensitive on my original post. have a go yourself, join up and see what its like. then we can swap stories and get drunk and have manly wrestles. What job do you do ?

Lol, getting cold and muddy sitting in a shell scrape isn't my idea of my ideal job whether or not my beret is green or maroon.

Much rather join the RAF and play with aeroplanes :wink:
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    dmclite wrote:

Lol, getting cold and muddy sitting in a shell scrape isn't my idea of my ideal job whether or not my beret is green or maroon.

Much rather join the RAF and play with aeroplanes :wink:[/quote

Fabulous. What do you do again, I didn't quite catch it ?
  • redddraggon
    dmclite wrote:
    Fabulous. What do you do again, I didn't quite catch it ?

Lol, I thought you non-Hats liked a wind up?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr