Comments

• P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    P-Jay wrote:
    Hmmm

1x Cash from my evil banking bonus.

Boo hiss boo...

Saved my hard earned pennies, and despite arguments from
    my wife that I was taking food from my daughters mouth, bought my stumpy with cash.

You Boo hiss booed me twice dude!!

And I used to work for RBS, Mwha ha ha. We took all your money and spent it on hookers!!
  • RallyBiker
    RallyBiker Posts: 378
    Paid cash for my Whyte 46 DSC01402.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hey, Rallybiker, are you from anywhere near Amlwch?
    went to see Parys mountain with my sister the other day, and it looks like there's some great freride lines there.
    i was wondering if anyone rides there, or if it's a big no-no or something.
  • RallyBiker
    went to see Parys mountain with my sister the other day, and it looks like there's some great freride lines there.
    Telepathy or what!! Was up on the car park today in the container/office getting some flyers. Asked the chap there if it's ok to MTB on the paths and he said yes! Next dry spell after my hols I'll get up there. PM you if you want a spin?? 8)
  • Anonymous
    RallyBiker wrote:
    Telepathy or what!! Was up on the car park today in the container/office getting some flyers. Asked the chap there if it's ok to MTB on the paths and he said yes! Next dry spell after my hols I'll get up there. PM you if you want a spin?? 8)
    YEAH! That place looked like a mini Utah! wicked.

All the best places seem to be about 45-50 minutes away from my house! Coedy, Llandegla, and now Parys mountain.
    Also, the top of the Dinorwig quarries is about 45 minutes away by bike.
    Maybe I live at the centre of the MTB universe or something :lol:
  • blu3cat
    blu3cat Posts: 1,016
    P-Jay wrote:
    P-Jay wrote:
    Hmmm

1x Cash from my evil banking bonus.

Boo hiss boo...

Saved my hard earned pennies, and despite arguments from
    my wife that I was taking food from my daughters mouth, bought my stumpy with cash.

You Boo hiss booed me twice dude!!

And I used to work for RBS, Mwha ha ha. We took all your money and spent it on hookers!!

So we paid for all of your rides :roll: (I'll get me coat)
    "Bed is for sleepy people.
    Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • RallyBiker
    Just have to find out where the mineshafts are! Do a slow speed recce first I think .Many a car and suicide at the bottom of them! :? :shock:
  • Anonymous
    I can't honestly believe you guys are proud of what the banks did? Have you no shame at all?
  • Anonymous
    RallyBiker wrote:
    Just have to find out where the mineshafts are! Do a slow speed recce first I think .Many a car and suicide at the bottom of them! :? :shock:
    Oooh!
    Slow speed reccy it is then!
  • putting a bit aside every week for eternity.
    Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs
  • ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    Got mine on an interest free pay in 12 months deal at Pedalon, Should be due a big bonus just before the payment is due :)
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0
  • fletch8928
    fletch8928 Posts: 794
    2 cash int olden days, 1 on cyclescheme, 1 insurance and hopefully get my voucher tomorrow for new cyclescheme one.
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    i usually go halfs with my mum and dad, but when i get a new bike it will probably be done finance
  • fcumok
    fcumok Posts: 283
    Usually get a 12 month interest free credit card and pay it off over 12 months. Can then negotiate with the LBS on a better price as they get it paid for all in one go 8)
  • Anonymous
    When does the bike shop not get it all in one go?
  • CanalRider
    CanalRider Posts: 194
    Cycle2Work scheme

Don't smoke, rarely drink.

Because I cycle 2 work I drive 80 less miles per week. As my car is gas guzzling Pajero I actually save money. I'd get rid of the Paj but it's not financially viable and it can also carry the families four bikes and all my camping stuff.
    --
    Saw a sign on a restaurant that said Breakfast, any time -- so I ordered French Toast in the Renaissance.
  • CanalRider
    CanalRider Posts: 194
    edited August 2009
    Deleted - Double post - Doh!
    --
    Saw a sign on a restaurant that said Breakfast, any time -- so I ordered French Toast in the Renaissance.
  • Thermo1
    Thermo1 Posts: 75
    I got both of ours on 0% deposit and 0% interest over 12 months.

A good question though - I've often wondered it myself when I see people on bikes worth at least 5K.
  • fred2003
    fred2003 Posts: 110
    +1 for cash

I usually sell anything i have laying around that i dont use anymore, then buy my stuff as as and when i can until its a complete build waiting to happen.
    If you cant race it, and you can't take it to bed, what is the point?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Very careful bargain hunting.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    cheers guys, glad to see i'm not the only one who has to offset other things so i can keep up hammering the trails :D
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Bike 1 (MTB) - 0% finance over 3 years.
    Bike 2 (Cross) - cash at a much reduced price
    Bike 3 (Road) - cyclescheme, now paid off.

I never have any savings for anything to be honest but I do control my monthly budget. If you do this and have a reasonable and reliable salary then the 0% finance is hard to beat. If you don't budget or your income is not predictable then I'd stick to cash.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Whilst I have a good job,I live in an expensive area,in a large house,have 3 kids,and a huge mortgage so ,have little disposable income and can`t afford to fritter money away on bikes and bike bits.My current hardtail I bought with cash and got 30% off.Most of my upgrades have been secondhand or internet bargains.Road bike was bought cash,and was secondhand.
    Commuting bike was given to me for free.

I have saved a lot recently,by putting a little away each month,and am considering my next bike purchase,but there`s no real bargains to be had at the moment so my wallet is staying closed.

Its all too easy to be sucked into thinking you need the latest kit or bike,and somtimes being skint gives you a reality check on whether you need it or not.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    Full Suss No.1 - bought a Pitch with overtime from doing 3 Christmas shifts 2 years ago, upgraded using overtime or swapsies as I went then broke it up, kept the bits I wanted and........

Full Suss No.2 - got frame uber cheap 2nd hand off a mate, transplanted left over bits off Pitch - winner :D

Hard Tail - worked Christmas again, went to LBS bought frame, forks and bits, trawled internet for end of year bargains - winner No.2 :lol:

Commuter Bike - bought it cash, reconed it'll work out cheaper than the tube every day @ £7 return - £35 a week, only 12 months worth of commuting and it's paid for itself, if you look at it like that :D
  • scotto
    scotto Posts: 381
    i'm rich, i just buy them for fun
  • REMF
    REMF Posts: 106
    just throw cash onto my credit card and go crazy.

i don't have many debts, or very expensive outgoings, so getting toys <£1000 isn't too difficult.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Wow only a couple of posts for bargain huntung? My Intense 5.5 was built dirt cheap from what I got second hand on Fleabay. Prior to that I found a completley abused ex-demo Mongoose Teocali and haggled em down to 500quid! Did need some TLC but what a bargain!
    Got a GT Avalanche as ex-demo too, and sold it 8months later for more than I paid for it :):)

My current NS and Prophet though weren't bargains as at both purchases I was desperate to get out riding.
  • Anonymous
    bike to work scheme through work = 1 hardtail
    1 year later sold hardtail for cash and got a full sus on the next years bike to work scheme.
    used cash from sold hardtail to buy sweets and pop and a lighter cheaper 2nd hand hardtail.

if it were not for bike to work I would have probably gone 0% credit, but it's more cost effective doing it bike to work.
  • Camion
    Camion Posts: 60
    CanalRider wrote:
    Cycle2Work scheme

Don't smoke, rarely drink.

Because I cycle 2 work I drive 80 less miles per week. As my car is gas guzzling Pajero I actually save money. I'd get rid of the Paj but it's not financially viable and it can also carry the families four bikes and all my camping stuff.

Do you know what Pajero means in English? [/quote]
    Colnago Extreme Power - Dura Ace
    1980s Colnago Master Steel - Super Record Delta
    Brompton M3L-X Raleigh Nitro MTB
    1981 Viscount Sport Orange Evo 8 single speed
    Specialized Langster Carerra Subway zero
  • Camion
    Camion Posts: 60
    I got my first proper bike, a spesh Roubaix Pro by selling a shotgun. It was full dura ace so after a year did a 1 year interest free deal on a Colnago frame, later on bought some Cosmic Ultimate wheels from Ebay US 1/2 price. Now a wheel has broke they won't replace it without a receipt so lesson is never buy anything expensive that may break of the bay, even if it is 1/2 price!!

Looking for a new Corima 4 spoke rear with Shimano fitting, any ideas?

Or anyone have a receipt for a pair os Mavic Cosmic Carbone Ultimates?
    Colnago Extreme Power - Dura Ace
    1980s Colnago Master Steel - Super Record Delta
    Brompton M3L-X Raleigh Nitro MTB
    1981 Viscount Sport Orange Evo 8 single speed
    Specialized Langster Carerra Subway zero