How do people buy their bikes?

welshkev
welshkev Posts: 9,690
edited August 2009 in MTB general
as the title says, and no, i don't mean on the internet or go into a shop. i mean how do people afford to buy their bikes in the first place?

i've just had to sell my hardtail to be able to afford a road bike for the winter and it took me ages to save up for my full suser. just wondering if it's me that has to scrimp and save or am i living in a world of millionaires who can afford whatever bike they want? :(

Comments

• Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    no i got made redundent when i bought mine, blew my whole redundency on it lol
  • gadgets
    gadgets Posts: 100
    cycle to work scheme benefit provided by my company :D
    Synapse Disc 3 Ultegra '14/CAADX 5 105 '11
  • M1llh0use
    M1llh0use Posts: 863
    credit card then balance transferred for 0% (alright there was a 3% fee but :roll: )
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • Cycle2work scheme. Not drinking, smoking or using any other chemicals helps too.
  • trekhead
    trekhead Posts: 626
    cash :wink:
    ole ginger b*ll*cks / the ginger ninja
  • mikey0303
    mikey0303 Posts: 134
    I got mine on 0% interest over 2 years which made it very affordable with a 10% deposit
    Cube Attempt 2011
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Bought a cheap bike with some insurance I had from my last cheap bike being stolen, then i have upgraded over time (when money became available to me) to what i would consider a decent enough bike for my purposes (I try not to think about the £500+ I am likely to have spent on it in the process)
  • Got a decent job. Wife works. No kids - ever. No mortgage. No credit card debts. Lucky or well planned? Basically worked for it. Just bought a new P7 frame, very nice.
    Frank Yates
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    cash from LBS.
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Hmmm

1x Cycle to Work

2x 0% finance

1x Cash from my evil banking bonus.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    0% interest over 2 years here too.
    Or just save up.
  • P-Jay wrote:
    Hmmm

Boo hiss boo...

Saved my hard earned pennies, and despite arguments from
    my wife that I was taking food from my daughters mouth, bought my stumpy with cash.
    2015 Nukeproof Mega TR 275 in raw
  • marinman1
    marinman1 Posts: 262
    part time work in morrisons and in 4 months BAM!!! got me some wheels 8)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    despite arguments from my wife that I was taking food from my daughters mouth
    Nobody want a fat daughter. You should have explained that to her :lol:
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    22 with a well paid job and still living at home. No social life so all my money goes on tennis equipment or bike parts :D
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Originally (i.e. when student and starting work) bought okay-ish bike and upgraded gradually.

That bike (frame) lasted me years, with various upgrades, but eventually bit the bullet and bought new bike, so 1 x cash (mtb - 2007) and 1 x Cyclescheme (road - 2009).
  • rrice
    rrice Posts: 23
    ..its an addiction. Once you start it doesn't matter how you do it but you've got to get more bikes.
    S-Works Enduro
    Cannondale Scalpel 3000
    Cannondale Rush 2
    Kona Explosif
    Mythic Morphine
    Giant Defy Advanced
    Carrera TDF
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    I've always just saved for them. The last one I bought I wasn't too flush so had to take a deep breath!

Definitely not in a position to buy bikes on a whim so I choose carefully and look after them.
  • Buy the frame.. buy bits when I can afford it.

I'm never 100% on the spec of retail bikes anyways.... much prefer building them how I actually want them :)
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    When first brought my Kona it was Student loan and inheritance money, now I just save up a bit each month, when I get paid tomorrow I will have enough for my new frame, :) (taken 4 months of saving) personally don't like using finance, cos i don't like being in debt, especially when I know my job is a bit fragile at the moment.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    rrice wrote:
    ..its an addiction. Once you start it doesn't matter how you do it but you've got to get more bikes.

Or shiny new bits for the ones you already have...
  • blu3cat
    blu3cat Posts: 1,016
    very low rate credit card and pay off with the cash I save on commuting.

Just need to ride every day into work until November 2010 to pay for the current bike!
    "Bed is for sleepy people.
    Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    the bike i have now used to be my brothers because he's a roadie and now i'm saving up using my paperround maoney
  • P-Jay wrote:
    Hmmm

Boo hiss boo...

Saved my hard earned pennies, and despite arguments from
    my wife that I was taking food from my daughters mouth, bought my stumpy with cash.
    2015 Nukeproof Mega TR 275 in raw
  • SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    My work Sharesave scheme paid for my bike.
  • saltyman
    saltyman Posts: 472
    paid cash for my bike, cost me more than i have paid for some cars i have owned lol.

wife wasnt happy when she found out how much it cost, but you only live once and i work hard so what the hell :twisted:
    roberts dogs bolx
    cannondale hooligan 1
    cannondale badboy
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    My strategy works like this.
    Dad buyes cheap bike. Gets stolen Insurance for a better bike on sale, stolen.......... and so it continues to the point where you are hapy and any upgrades come from selling the old bike or saving very,very hard.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • fourcrossjohn
    fourcrossjohn Posts: 2,500
    2 months of work for full sus

3 months of work for soon to be getting 2010 amplitude, shed, park tool stand
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    i've had the same bike since 2002 but just started a new job so will have a full susser by christmas :) 2nd hand though

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • It was a choice between selling my xbox 360 or my fisher f75 metal detector.still got the xbox and shiney green bike. :D
    GENESIS CORE 20