Trainer for 20inch wheel

drphibes
drphibes Posts: 4
Hi

I hope somebody might be able to offer me some advice on what options I have for buying a trainer for the upcoming winter months. I am a wheelchair user and have a handcylce that I attach to the chair, this cycle uses a 20inch bmx style wheel. After searching the web for ideas I keep coming across various trainers made by cycleops that you can add a 20/24inch wheel adapter to so they can use smaller wheels like my 20inch one. Does anybody know of any other brands that offer the ability to use a 20inch wheel ? I am also undecided on what cycleops trainer to buy if that is my only option, is it worth spending the extra on the fluid versions or maybe the magneto pro seems quite a bit more expensive than the other magnet versions ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I'm not too familiar with handcycles to know if they will actually fit a bike trainer - guess you'd have to use it backwards on the front wheel - most units work OK in both directions. Another option might be to adapt a set of rollers - there's a Elite model with variable resistance
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Hi

I have attached a link that shows the Veloce 24 speed handcycle that I own.

http://www.davincimobility.co.uk/index.php?page=veloce_handcycle

I believe that the handcycle is basically a bmx bike that has been chopped and change into a handcycle. I have been told that a tacx model (swing ?) could be used but when I called a local store who sell them they said that tacx do not work with 20 inch wheels ?
  • Yes the link you provided is the item that I have found during my search. It does appear to be what I need to enable the smaller 20 inch wheel to function with one of the cycleops trainers. I am still not sure what to go for to be honest and seem to have narrowed it down to a fliud2, magneto pro or the jet fluid pro. Any opinions on these Three or indeed other cycleops trainers would be welcome.

Thanks