What's the hardest climb?

2»

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    i seem to recall that there is a street in Pittsburg that is the, so called, worlds steepest.
    Not all that long.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    dennisn wrote:
    BTW, just reading that story of the Australian girl behind that video, I stumbled upon her blog and a picture of the pass: appears that highest paved road claim is a simple mis-translation; the sign says, in spanish, 'world's highest railway crossing', not 'paved road' ! ! :D

http://community.bikefriday.com/peru

Shows how easy these world record myths establish themselves...
  • markwalker
    markwalker Posts: 953
    AndyRubio wrote:
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    OH thats easy.....Zoncolan from Ovaro..nothing else like it on the pro scene....brutal......then I'd up for L'Angliru...then the Mortirolo....Ive did the Mortirolo and wouldnt fancy racing it...considering how unrelentingly steep it is...
    How do they compare to Hardknott etc?

Hardknotts steep but is dwarfed by these. Whatever pace you go over hardknott it hurts but the pain short.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    dennisn wrote:
    If I can just stop laughing long enough, I live in Northwestern Ohio (
    Thanks and I'm glad your amused but you confirm my thoughts.
    I tried to say that I'm familiar with that area and while on my journey's through Ohio and the Amish area's I thought it, to be nice country for cycling.
    My mind wandered (while reading some of your posts) and I couldn't recall seeing any major Hills in Ohio but just that rolling beautifull countryside when you get off the boring Interstate's. (which just smell of Diesel)
    So the highest place is over towards the Alleghehy Mountains. I stayed in Elkins WV last year. (you could get cycling fit around there)
    FJS wrote:
    I don't know whether it's the highest paved road in the Americas, world, or even Peru; I'm quite sceptical of claims of 'world's most/best/highest/thinnest/etc'.... it wasn't crossing the Andes range as a whole, just getting from one place in Peru to another over a single mountain ridge. It's north of Arequipa if you're interested, the road to Chivay. But I really wouldn't surprised if there are higher paved roads elsewhere in the Andes or in the Himalayas. There were several other paved (and unpaved) passes well over 4000 m , and that's only in the parts of Peru I visited.

Thanks, very interesting and I liked your Railway Crossing translation.
    I agree with the Biggest-Best-Hardest point but the Greatest racing cyclist thing was settled years ago and that crown is worn by only one man whose performances are head and shoulders above anyone else.
    At my age I get breathing problems from 6,000 feet.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Hi,

Blowing the dust off a copy of Procycling mag Jan 07, they had the top ten climbs as :

1: Mont Ventoux
    2: Monte Zoncolan
    3: Alpe D'Huez
    4: Passo Dello Stelvio
    5: Genting Highlands
    6: Muur Van Geraardsbergen
    7: Col Du Galibier
    8: Alto Del Angliru
    9: Mortirolo
    10: Col Du Tourmalet

:wink:
  • dennisn
    FJS wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    BTW, just reading that story of the Australian girl behind that video, I stumbled upon her blog and a picture of the pass: appears that highest paved road claim is a simple mis-translation; the sign says, in spanish, 'world's highest railway crossing', not 'paved road' ! ! :D

http://community.bikefriday.com/peru

Shows how easy these world record myths establish themselves...

All this considered, it sounds like somewhere around 16,000 is about the limit(for now) of mans desire to pave a road. I've never been 16,000(14,000 and change is the best you'll do in North America - discounting Alaska) and it's tough to get air up there.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    Hi,

Blowing the dust off a copy of Procycling mag Jan 07, they had the top ten climbs as :

I've ridden seven of this ten and I'd not rank them in that order. It would look more like;

1. Mortirolo
    2. Mont Ventoux
    3. Col de Galibier
    4. Passo dello Stelvio
    5. Col du Tourmalet
    6. Alpe d'Huez
    77. Muur de Geraardsbergen

I understand the Muur's iconic status but my mum would be able to ride up it.
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    andyp wrote:
    Hi,

I've ridden seven of this ten and I'd not rank them in that order. It would look more like;

1. Mortirolo
    2. Mont Ventoux
    3. Col de Galibier
    4. Passo dello Stelvio
    5. Col du Tourmalet
    6. Alpe d'Huez
    77. Muur de Geraardsbergen

I understand the Muur's iconic status but my mum would be able to ride up it.
    Must admit i wondered how they could justify the Mur alongside the others.
    As I've stated earlier,the order of difficulty will depend as much as to how you are felling on the day,the Tourmalet on a 'good' day would be a doddle compared to riding it on a 'bad' day
    so many cols,so little time!
  • Hi,

Procycling's explanation for including the Muur was down to the fact that it comes at the most crucial part of the race i.e. you've been bouncing around on cobbles for 250km then "hit the wall"
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Hi,

Have done 6 of them and this is my order

1. Mont ventoux
    2. Stelvio(from prato)
    3. Mortirolo
    4. Galibier
    5. Tourmalet
    6. Alpe de Huez
    Brian B.
  • If we're doing lists!

1. Tourmalet (from the East side)
    2. Telegraph/ Galibier
    3. Izoard (From Briancon)
    4. Ventoux
    5. Iseren
    6. Alpe D'Huez
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • dennisn
    In Colorado.

1.) Mt. Evans hill climb - 7,555 ft. to 14,132 ft. in 27+ miles.
    2.) Grand Mesa from the west - 5,000 ft. to 11,000 ft. in 40 + miles
    3.) Poudre Canyon to Cameron pass(from Fort Collins) - 5,000 ft. to 10,300 in 60+ miles
    4.) Wolf Creek Pass from the west - 7000 ft. to 10,900 in 30+- miles.(Very steep at top)
    5.) Independence Pass from the west(Aspen) - 12,095 ft.
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    My favourite is Zoncolan. Its very tough but a great cyclists climb as its way of the beaten track so you dont have to share the ascent with loads of motorbikes/cars. Lots of variety too, hairpins, long walls, starts in forest and great views at the top (but no cafe..)

Its pretty hard but just in case its not tough enough for you, the descent on the other side is pretty near as steep and on the way down I passed someone on cross country skis going up...
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    If we're doing lists!

1. Tourmalet (from the East side)
    2. Telegraph/ Galibier
    3. Izoard (From Briancon)
    4. Ventoux
    5. Iseren
    6. Alpe D'Huez
    You can't do the Izoard from Briancon,It's NOT allowed!
    You HAVE to do it from the south side,taking in the Casse Dessert....Epic
    so many cols,so little time!
  • Hello, I've just edited my detailed, 32 minutes long, Full HD cycling video of Ausserfragant (712 m) - Grosser Oscheniksee (2394 m) climb. It shows how challenging it is.

Based on the data, values of the two most famous, serious climb-database (salite.ch and climbbybike-.com ) it is the hardest or 2nd hardest paved climbs of the Alps, harder than Angliru or Monte Zoncolan.
    Data: 17 km & 9,8%, but the last 10 kms = 13% steepness, but often 14-15% and max. 18-20% (you can see it in my video )
    That's an epic, a monster, a killer But I loved it. That was a real challenge !

That's the video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C70JluUdLg

Have pleasure with it !
    Gabor
    http://www.facebook.com/cycling.high

A pic about the climb !
    20120701_ocheniksee19.JPG
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Hello, I've just edited my detailed, 32 minutes long, Full HD cycling video of Ausserfragant (712 m) - Grosser Oscheniksee (2394 m) climb. It shows how challenging it is.

That's the video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C70JluUdLg

Have pleasure with it !
    Gabor
    http://www.facebook.com/cycling.high

Certainly did, thanks. Excellent commentary: "Can you hear the birds sing?" Echoes of Hannibal Lecteur who won the 1937 Tour de Suisse by eating the competition.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.