What's the hardest climb?

sonny73
sonny73 Posts: 2,203
edited February 2015 in Pro race
Pub generated question here; what's the hardest climb in pro cycling?

Comments

• paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    I've never done any pro climbs, but from reading articles and stuff on the net, I'd plump for Mont Ventoux, France- for the adverse atmosphere and environment that dogs it- or Angliru in Spain. 23% gradients. Ouch!

Col de la Bonnette Restefond can't be easy either- highest paved road in Europe speaks for itself, surely...
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    This site has some official rankings although people will always argue over the criteria

http://www.climbbybike.com/

This has the Angliru as harder than Ventoux but the Mortirolo is harder than any of them (in Lombarduy, northern Italy)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    OH thats easy.....Zoncolan from Ovaro..nothing else like it on the pro scene....brutal......then I'd up for L'Angliru...then the Mortirolo....Ive did the Mortirolo and wouldnt fancy racing it...considering how unrelentingly steep it is...
  • Anonymous
    Mt. Washington will be up there too...

http://www.climbbybike.com/climb.asp?Col=Mount-Washington&qryMountainID=7704

Highest ever land recorded wind speed there doesn't help.

However, this is usually used as a hillclimb race whereas the Zoncolan, Angliru etc usually come at the end of a bugger of a stage and appear harder anyway :shock:
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    It's generally agreed that you won't get a definitive answer to that one.
    The pro's will tell you that what is a killer climb one day can be ok a week later.It's mainly on how you are feeling on the day.
    I've had people on this forum stating the Tourmalet is a brute,wheras I enjoy it,& find it similar to riding a Time Trial,being able to keep a constant effort.
    I find the shorter,varying gradient climbs over here (ie such climbs as in the Fred Whitton) to be far harder to get a rythmn.
    I think Indurain said he found the Madelaine the hardest
    Kimmage climbed off om the Lauterent (from bourg d'oisans towards the Galibier) & ended his pro career.(although he had other factors causing him to retire),he said he found this climb never ending
    Some mountain goats love the Mortirolo (not had the 'pleasure' of doing that one yet) wheras some pro's hate it.
    A true pro climber will like the brutal ones as it gives them a chance to stick it into the bigger guys,wheras the Indurain types would probably be quite happy tapping out a rythmn on,say,the Tourmalet.
    As I said,each pro would give you a different answer,on a different day!
    so many cols,so little time!
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Any climb is hard if you are over-geared,dehydrated,unfit,hungry,all of these. The Mortirolo is acknowledged as prob. being the toughest in that includes 14km at average 10% - the climb is over 20km long. Ventoux has killed people and taken it's toll on others mentally eg Ferdy Kubler.
    M.Rushton
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    A friend of mine, while we were on holiday cycling in the Alps, said "The hardest climnb in the Alps is the one you're currently on...."
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    OH thats easy.....Zoncolan from Ovaro..nothing else like it on the pro scene....brutal......then I'd up for L'Angliru...then the Mortirolo..... the Mortirolo wouldnt fancy racing it...considering how unrelentingly steep it is...
    I go along with that and would certainly include the Alp D'Huez

The Lottery (Lautaret) is a doddle (well it's a main road) either from Grenoble or Briancon, but I show my age when I say we had saddle bags and tents and came to Grief when we turned left onto the Galibier. (we rode past D'Huez not knowing it would become famous)
    With Cloud cover the Ventoux is not such a great problem as when the "Heat" is there.
    I did the Restefond (as it was known then) on the Gravel and we needed a bath, then when out there in 1994 my surprise about the Tarmac. (great ride by Miller)
    Someone in our party said that they were laying the tarmac when she crossed a month earlier (June 94)

There are 3 ways these mountains are measured by "Races by where they come in the stage" or as Tourists and this years pathetic TDF proves the point.
    They rode the Major climbs at a tempo (I guess the old man had something to do with it) and the only real excitement was Verbier and the Ventoux. Rubish.!

What importance did you put on the 1994 stage 15 Ventoux (Poli) with stage 16 D'huez, stage 17 Glandon, Madeline and Val-Thorens stage 18 Saises,Croix-Fry and Colombiere, stage 19 Individual TT thro Morzine and up to the Ski Resort Avoriaz.
    Nah, don't give me Ventoux as I've worn the "T" shirt out on that one
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Anyone heard of the Tour de Georgia? Brasstown Bald by far has to be the toughest climb I've ever seen or experienced. Of course, I ran up it instead of cycling... :lol:
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 493
    Mortirolo is a walk in the park compared to the Zoncolan, and the Mortirolo's rock hard.
  • Gragi
    Gragi Posts: 448
    Not strictly in your criteria as I'm not sure it's been included in pro racing, but the Zillertaller hohenstrasse in Austria is a killer - similar gradients (and length) to Zoncolan.
    I think it's called the Rifugio Kaltenbach in climbbybike but I remember it as part of the Zillertaller. Should be called the Killertaller
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    OH thats easy.....Zoncolan from Ovaro..nothing else like it on the pro scene....brutal......then I'd up for L'Angliru...then the Mortirolo....Ive did the Mortirolo and wouldnt fancy racing it...considering how unrelentingly steep it is...
    How do they compare to Hardknott etc?
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    It's a double question, just as much about defining 'hardest' as about defining 'in pro cycling'

I would agree with the Zoncolan, but as far as I know it has only featured once in a pro race, the Giro a couple of years ago.

The Angliru and Mortirolo feature more rgularly, but still are something of the last 10 years or so.

Of the classic pro race climbs Mont Ventoux or Stelvio would be the toughest

If you're just after the toughest climb, climbbybike features this beauty: http://www.climbbybike.com/climb.asp?Co ... ainID=3597
  • alanmcn1
    alanmcn1 Posts: 531
    Worst I have done are (in order)

Ventoux
    Croix de fer (the full 30odd km one mind)
    Alpe d'huez (don;t let anyone try and tell you it's short and easy and you can get in a rhythm........it's bloody hard!)
    Horrible 1:4 climb that was included in the bikeradar 100mile sportive this year...had to walk....aaaarrrggghhhh
    Robert Millar for knighthood
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    DaveyL wrote:
    A friend of mine, while we were on holiday cycling in the Alps, said "The hardest climnb in the Alps is the one you're currently on...."

Nice sentiment :)
  • Anonymous
    AndyRubio wrote:
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    How do they compare to Hardknott etc?

Thats a funny question Andy....I've been up the Mortirolo...it was very steep all the way....but at no point was I in 'Im gonna die' situation.....whereas on Hardknott Im sh*ttin it....its defo one of my most feared climbs...

Very different...Mortirolo was 12kms long and 1300meters ascent....Hardknotts 2km long and 300meter ascent....going on those stats then mortirolo beats hardknott ...but I'm more scared of Hardknott.....its the most intense effort I can think off.

Only 2 climbs fear me more than Hardknott....both on Gran Canaria....one was Pico Nieves from Ingenio...1650meter climb with 23% gradients....and the my recent truama....the 'Valley of the Tears' climb....10km ascending 1080meters...with 1km down section....25% galore....Ill never do it again and it made the mortirolo seem very reasonable...if you hit my link below and go into blogs you can read of the brute.

Never did Zoncolan...but 10km climb averaging 11.5% (similar to Valley of the Tears) with 6kms in the middle section averaging 15%...well thats the winner in my books for brutal climbs in pro races...and the last 5kms of L'Angliru are brutally steep aswell...

They are all horrors...but I fear none will have the intensity of Hardknott....what could?
  • FJS
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    They are all horrors...but I fear none will have the intensity of Hardknott....what could?
    Check the link I posted above, http://www.climbbybike.com/climb.asp?Co ... ainID=3597 ... Read the stories below the graph :shock: . Granted, I've never done the Scanuppia, so can't compare, and it looks too much beyond reasonable to ever even try it...
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    Thats a funny question Andy....I've been up the Mortirolo...it was very steep all the way....but at no point was I in 'Im gonna die' situation.....whereas on Hardknott Im sh*ttin it....its defo one of my most feared climbs...

Very different...Mortirolo was 12kms long and 1300meters ascent....Hardknotts 2km long and 300meter ascent....going on those stats then mortirolo beats hardknott ...but I'm more scared of Hardknott.....its the most intense effort I can think off.

Only 2 climbs fear me more than Hardknott....both on Gran Canaria....one was Pico Nieves from Ingenio...1650meter climb with 23% gradients....and the my recent truama....the 'Valley of the Tears' climb....10km ascending 1080meters...with 1km down section....25% galore....Ill never do it again and it made the mortirolo seem very reasonable...if you hit my link below and go into blogs you can read of the brute.

Never did Zoncolan...but 10km climb averaging 11.5% (similar to Valley of the Tears) with 6kms in the middle section averaging 15%...well thats the winner in my books for brutal climbs in pro races...and the last 5kms of L'Angliru are brutally steep aswell...

I know Richy rates the Gavia as being as tough as the Mortirolo, but he did both in the same day. I did that too, but with the Gavia first then the Mortirolo and for me nothing compares to the Mortirolo. It's steep for a long, long time.

I find climbs in the UK very different to Alpine climbs, almost to the point where they are a different sport. Most Alpine climbs you can enjoy once you've got a rhythm. Those brutes in the Lakes and Wales are just unrelenting hard and, in my opinion, completely unenjoyable.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Just to put in my two cents worth. The Bob Cook - Mt. Evans hill climb. While not steep in the strictest sense this race is noted for it's start - finish elevations. 7,500 to 14,130 feet,
    Just off the top of my head I don't know of any paved road in the world that's higher.
    To say it's difficult to breathe up there is an understatement. It's a beautiful ride. On a good day. On a bad day, well, the road is closed. Too dangerous for cars, let alone bikes. Lightning, rain, snow, hail, you name it. Only open 3 months out of the year(at best).
    Records-
    Tom Danielson - 27 miles in 1:41:20
    Jeannie Longo - 27 miles in 1:59:19
  • FJS
    dennisn wrote:
    Just to put in my two cents worth. The Bob Cook - Mt. Evans hill climb. While not steep in the strictest sense this race is noted for it's start - finish elevations. 7,500 to 14,130 feet,
    Just off the top of my head I don't know of any paved road in the world that's higher.

Just two weeks ago I was on the Patapampa pass in Peru in the Andes, 4890 meter, that's 16043 ft. All tarmac. I did it in a bus though 8) . Still, from just walking around there for a couple of minutes I agree that those kind of altitudes make an incredible difference.
    = good pub question this, OP :)
  • dennisn
    FJS wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

Just two weeks ago I was on the Patapampa pass in Peru in the Andes, 4890 meter, that's 16043 ft. All tarmac. I did it in a bus though 8) . Still, from just walking around there for a couple of minutes I agree that those kind of altitudes make an incredible difference.

Just discovered a video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8srNRYsYE4E
  • DaveyL
    Hell of a descent...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • DaveyL
    From the wikipedia page on Vaughters,

"Vaughters also holds the Cycle To The Sun record time of 2:38 set in 1993 for climbing Haleakala volcano on Maui, Hawaii."

Goes from 78 m to 3032 m over 56 km - nothing too steep but *very* long!

http://www.climbbybike.com/profile/Mt-H ... rofile.jpg
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Anonymous
    andyp wrote:
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:

I know Richy rates the Gavia as being as tough as the Mortirolo, but he did both in the same day. I did that too, but with the Gavia first then the Mortirolo and for me nothing compares to the Mortirolo. It's steep for a long, long time.

I find climbs in the UK very different to Alpine climbs, almost to the point where they are a different sport. Most Alpine climbs you can enjoy once you've got a rhythm. Those brutes in the Lakes and Wales are just unrelenting hard and, in my opinion, completely unenjoyable.

I tend to agree...the Mortirolo is tougher than the Gavia....but not by too much...both these climbs would find themselves in the top echelons of hard tour climbs....

But the Gavia is a brute in every sense...8% average...16% sections...2650meters...but IMO the most beautiful ascent I've ever did...wonderful!
  • The lakes are my home, so I have a perverse love for those hills. I think of the monsters, Newlands is probably my favourite. Hardknott I ride once a year on the Fred Whitton.

Hardest climb is ever changing though i think... Cormet De Roseland was tough in the twisty, steep section in the middle (that bit is Uber sketchy to descend too!), Tourmalet Almost Killed Me, Galibier I once fell asleep in a ditch on...
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • deejay
    FJS wrote:
    So is this the highest tarmac road in America at 4890 meters ??
    You say on a bus and so you crossed over this Andes mountain range to get somewhere the other side because it's a through road. (Pass) ?????
    dennisn wrote:
    Being Pedantic, I make the Ticlio to be 15,807 feet. ?

While on the subject then what is the highest road in Ohio, please
    Somewhere towards the Alleghehy mountains perhaps.
    I stayed in Cumberland MD last year (without a bike) and met cycling people doing the return trail trip to Pittsburg. Wish I was fit enough to do that.

Previously I've been on some coaches from Detroit to Canton, Pittsburg and Cincinnati + Indy and of course a couple of other times in South Bend. (your Neighbours)
    Those places speak for themselves as to a reason.
  • deejay
    Cormet De Roseland was tough in the twisty, steep section in the middle (that bit is Uber sketchy to descend too!),

Poor old Bruyneel, he found that out when he went over the side.!!
  • dennisn
    deejay wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    You say on a bus and so you crossed over this Andes mountain range to get somewhere the other side because it's a through road. (Pass) ?????
    dennisn wrote:
    Being Pedantic, I make the Ticlio to be 15,807 feet. ?

While on the subject then what is the highest road in Ohio, please
    Somewhere towards the Alleghehy mountains perhaps.
    I stayed in Cumberland MD last year (without a bike) and met cycling people doing the return trail trip to Pittsburg. Wish I was fit enough to do that.

Previously I've been on some coaches from Detroit to Canton, Pittsburg and Cincinnati + Indy and of course a couple of other times in South Bend. (your Neighbours)
    Those places speak for themselves as to a reason.

The highest road in Ohio??? If I can just stop laughing long enough. I live in Northwestern
    Ohio(close to Detroit) and can tell you for sure that the highest mountains around here are highway overpasses. This is, for lack of better words, the flattest part of the planet.
    Now in Southeastern Ohio there are some really steep hills but rarely anything over a mile or so long. I live at elevation 625 ft. and I believe the highest point in the state is at 1,200 ft. Nothing here to shout about. Stay where you are.
  • FJS
    deejay wrote:
    FJS wrote:

I don't know whether it's the highest paved road in the Americas, world, or even Peru; I'm quite sceptical of claims of 'world's most/best/highest/thinnest/etc'.... it wasn't crossing the Andes range as a whole, just getting from one place in Peru to another over a single mountain ridge. It's north of Arequipa if you're interested, the road to Chivay. But I really wouldn't surprised if there are higher paved roads elsewhere in the Andes or in the Himalayas. There were several other paved (and unpaved) passes well over 4000 m , and that's only in the parts of Peru I visited.
  • FJS wrote:
    It's a double question, just as much about defining 'hardest' as about defining 'in pro cycling'

I would agree with the Zoncolan, but as far as I know it has only featured once in a pro race, the Giro a couple of years ago.

The Angliru and Mortirolo feature more rgularly, but still are something of the last 10 years or so.

Of the classic pro race climbs Mont Ventoux or Stelvio would be the toughest

If you're just after the toughest climb, climbbybike features this beauty: http://www.climbbybike.com/climb.asp?Co ... ainID=3597

The Zoncolan has been in both the 2003 and 2007 Giro's (from either side)
    Yes, the Scanuppia is in an "ET" class of it's own.
    Not every climb has a sign claiming a 45% gradient!
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.