Cavendish and Armstrong in Scotland...........A coincidence?

epo-aholic
epo-aholic Posts: 1,414
edited September 2009 in Pro race
Guess who popped into my work today around 2pm??? Mr Mark Cavendish himself!

Shook hands, had a wee chat - helova nice guy by the way........

Then i remember a certain Mr Armstrong is also over in Glasgow (around 40 miles away btw) could this be a team radioshack meet possibility?

discuss.............

Comments

• majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Nothing like a good conspiracy theory...

Where do you work?

Matthew
  • epo-aholic
    Nothing like a good conspiracy theory...

Where do you work?

Matthew

mmmmmmmm, thats what i thought!

Edinburgh Airport
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Cav was in Embra and I didn't know about it!!

Woe is me.

(rips clothes and sobs into keyboard)
  • Tusher
    PS surely Cav's not dumb enough to sign for The Armstrong Shack? Surely??

Although when LA initially announced his comeback, I remember reading that Cav said he wasn't normally starstruck, but that was the one rider who could make him so (or words to that effect).

PPS Epo-aholic. I am envious. More details please about your wee chat.
  • epo-aholic
    Tusher
    I'm pretty sure he wouldn't sign with radioshak as he's on a good thing with HTC built around him but you never know......and i didn't ask!

I'm the same, i meet famous people quite regularly and just treat them as 'normal customers' but Cav was different.....dont get me wrong i didn't ask for an autograph and get a photo taken or anything, i just congratulated him on his achievements this year and let him know he was great to watch, he looked genuinely chuffed and a wee bit embarrassed to be honest, he defo didn't come across as arrogant as the media seem to portray him (i didn't expect him to be like that either btw)

He asked me what sort of cycling i did, etc.

100% great guy!
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    yeah but Lance fancies Cav, he was proper kissing his ass at the tour, along with Cavs team mate GH. so who knows, i wouldnt rule it out but it could easily just be a Nike promo as well
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • Tusher
    Thanks, epo-aholic. Yes, everything I've read about him portrays him as a genuinely polite and nice guy- he's just so passionate about his racing and to have a microphone thrust in front of your face just after a long day, well, I'd probably give them anglo saxon directions.
    I think it's his honesty that I find attractive. Well, obviously that and his body of course, but I am a middle-aged woman and he is about to be married to his child hood sweetheart. (and that's another thing I like about him. I could never feel as passionate about the philandering and partying Boonen, although I admire him as a rider).

To be honest, I have no idea what I would do if I met him. I've never met anyone famous. (thinks, apart from the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh at a garden party, that is). Although I would hope that I would do the same as you- congratulate him and leave well alone.
  • epo-aholic
    Tusher
    Eloquently put, he could do with a haircut though! :D
  • Tusher
    Ah, but his curly locks are part of attraction.

I shall now go and make tea for my husband (who claims he's starving) with your compliment ringing in my ears. Eloquent! It's been years since I've been called eloquent- I'm chuffed to bits now.

:D
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Not a chance - a team built around Armstrong for the 2010 Tour and a team to deliver Cav to the green jersey via stage wins will be mutually exclusive, I'd imagine.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Boywilson
    Boywilson Posts: 304
    Could have been a Nike promo I guess, Cav wears a custom pair of Nikes and as we all know Lance is Mr Nike!
  • expect big george to join team shack but not cav, he woul dbe making a huge error to leave htc not to metion breaking the contract
  • LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416
    epo-aholic wrote:
    (around 40 miles away btw) .

There may only be 40 miles between Edinburgh and Glasgow - but the reality is they are much furter away from each other than that.
  • Cav yesterday Thor today?? http://twitpic.com/eh4vm

Don't know whether to read into it Thor will be signing for The Shack? Not sure when his contract is up?

John.
  • Cav yesterday Thor today?? http://twitpic.com/eh4vm

Don't know whether to read into it Thor will be signing for The Shack? Not sure when his contract is up?

John.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Tusher wrote:
    PS surely Cav's not dumb enough to sign for The Armstrong Shack? Surely??

Surely Mr. Cav will be weighing all his options(read MONEY). Just like most other sports stars. You may not like this or that football team but when they offer your hometown star
    enough money, he's gone.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Having a sprinter in a team totally geared up for winning the tour just doesn't work.

You don't want your domestiques busting a gut for a stage win.
  • That's why Thor could be perfect for Shack, took the green this year with a bit of nous (and a dq for Cav) and no lead out.
  • dennisn
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Having a sprinter in a team totally geared up for winning the tour just doesn't work.

I tend to agree but who would have thought a team could possibly have put 3 people
    on the overall winners podium of the TDF. They got two anyway, after one dropped out.
    Proper planning can do a lot and think how much it would do for Radio Shack, if they won yellow and green. I wouldn't underestimate Lance and the boys.
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    coincidence I'm sure. Don't see him signing for the Shack (he would be stupid too!), plus I don't think they could offer anything Team Sky couldn't..
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    dennisn wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

I tend to agree but who would have thought a team could possibly have put 3 people
    on the overall winners podium of the TDF. They got two anyway, after one dropped out.
    Proper planning can do a lot and think how much it would do for Radio Shack, if they won yellow and green. I wouldn't underestimate Lance and the boys.

In 86 La Vie Claire had 1,2,4 and 7. So it isn't unpredented.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • epo-aholic
    bikerZA wrote:
    coincidence I'm sure. Don't see him signing for the Shack (he would be stupid too!), plus I don't think they could offer anything Team Sky couldn't..

the Armstrong factor for one, however i dont think he'd consider sky or any other team that wasn't built round him for that matter, do you?
  • dennisn
    epo-aholic wrote:
    bikerZA wrote:

the Armstrong factor for one, however i dont think he'd consider sky or any other team that wasn't built round him for that matter, do you?

What about the MONEY? He might just go to the team that paid the most. Money is the draw. Football players, baseball players, hockey, basketball. None of them really care what team they are on, as long as the MONEY is there.
  • epo-aholic
    I get the impression money isn't that important (at the moment) - this guy rides to win, this may change as it often does when they become 'top' riders.......Boonen is a prime example!
  • dennisn
    epo-aholic wrote:
    I get the impression money isn't that important (at the moment) - this guy rides to win, this may change as it often does when they become 'top' riders.......Boonen is a prime example!

Not trying to sound nasty but I defy you to find someone, anyone, to whom more money
    is not the key factor in life. "This guy rides to win"? Sure he does - FOR THE MONEY. :wink::wink:
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    dennisn wrote:
    epo-aholic wrote:

Not trying to sound nasty but I defy you to find someone, anyone, to whom more money
    is not the key factor in life. "This guy rides to win"? Sure he does - FOR THE MONEY. :wink::wink:

I would imagine that being on Columbia would mean more wins for a sprinter, therefore more money.
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    dennisn wrote:
    epo-aholic wrote:

A short term Shack contract that pays more now, but limits his wins, and thus his future earnings, vs not a lot less in a team that will go out of it's way to have him win and thus enhance his future earnings.

"Money" isn't always a short term influence.
  • dennisn
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    epo-aholic wrote:

A short term Shack contract that pays more now, but limits his wins, and thus his future earnings, vs not a lot less in a team that will go out of it's way to have him win and thus enhance his future earnings.

If he signed with The Shack I would assume he would have whole bunches of races to win as Lance seems only really interested in the TDF.
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    dennisn wrote:
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    epo-aholic wrote:

If he signed with The Shack I would assume he would have whole bunches of races to win as Lance seems only really interested in the TDF.

Keep up. :D

Cav wants wins and this includes TDF stage wins and the green jersey. He wouldn't have a hope of winning the green jersey in a team that was trying to deliver the yellow jersey for Lance.

There is no room for personal ambition in Lance's teams. You're lucky if you're allowed to go for a stage win, never mind have the whole team work hard to deliver you to a bunch sprint.

And why spend big on the world's best sprinter when that money could get you a few top level GC riders to help the yellow jersey cause?
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • dennisn
    dulldave wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    epo-aholic wrote:

Keep up. :D

Cav wants wins and this includes TDF stage wins and the green jersey. He wouldn't have a hope of winning the green jersey in a team that was trying to deliver the yellow jersey for Lance.

There is no room for personal ambition in Lance's teams. You're lucky if you're allowed to go for a stage win, never mind have the whole team work hard to deliver you to a bunch sprint.

And why spend big on the world's best sprinter when that money could get you a few top level GC riders to help the yellow jersey cause?

I agree with what you say, but you're talking the "conventional wisdom". Yet in this years TDF the conventional wisdom said that LA & AC would ruin each others chances of winning because the team wouldn't know who to follow........and yet. Conventional wisdom out the window there.