Which Electrolyte?

HighgateN6
HighgateN6 Posts: 30
Dear Cike friends,

I went to the Alps and on the 7th day the Maximuscle Viper drink was making me vomit all over the Alpe D'huez?

I loved the Viper and felt I was on drugs, but tried it several times after and it is making me nauscous and ill.

Which high quality electrolyte drink do you all recommend for the bike?

Many thanks,

Highgate N^

Comments

• GyatsoLa
    GyatsoLa Posts: 667
    Are you sure it was the drink made you vomit? Alpine hills do that to me without any help from dodgy sports drinks!

but if it was, I've not heard of anyone complain about Nuun drinks - very pleasant to drink.
  • Definately the drink as it makes me nauceuous now on the Turbo trainer!

Will try a fresh batch incase I was poisoned on the trip by a jealous rival!
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    HighgateN6 wrote:
    Definately the drink as it makes me nauceuous now on the Turbo trainer!

it could be Psychosomatic :lol:
  • SunWuKong
    SunWuKong Posts: 364
    Nuun for me.
  • Mates have told me that repeated regular use of Viper gives them the trots.

I use Viper for running and cycling.

I ran the Edinburgh marathon back at end of May and it was really hot (yes in Scotland, and in May) and was rough. Had some Viper and some gels before/during the race. I was using Viper daily for 16 weeks whilst training for the marathon though and never felt bad, but the weather was a lot cooler.

Did a 100mile ride Saturday jsut gone and had about 1.5 litres of Viper and 3 or so gels and was fine. It was a cool day down here (Hertfordshire).

Maybe its the heat, maybe the Viper and gels (I use Powebar gels) together in the heat. Perhaps both. i dunno.

I don't know whether there is the possibility of over electrolyting and whether this could make you sick?
  • arnie-77
    arnie-77 Posts: 61
    if it has artificial sweeteners such as Sucralose it could be them that causes stomach upset.
    "Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving." A. Einstein
  • pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    Try Sci-mx Perfor-mx Xtreme, it's sold in much the same types of places as the Viper is. It's easier on the stomach because it doesn't have quite so many BCAA's in it. At least that's what happened for me.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    SunWuKong wrote:
    Nuun for me.

+1

They're all I've ever needed, plus Hi-5 and decent food and I'm set and I've done Alps riding too.
  • another one for Nuun.
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    High 5 Super Carbs isotonic, though I usually make it up a bit weaker by adding about a third more water. Summer Fruits and Fresh Citrus flavours are very palatable too. It's never given me a problem.

Gatorade, on the other hand, has. It gave me the trots for the first week, after which my stomach got used to it and everything was fine.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • bigal.
    bigal. Posts: 479
    +1 for High 5.
  • ded
    ded Posts: 120
    Another vote for High 5 - that was my "Marmotte fuel" and worked pretty well. I used both the isotonic and the "general" super carbs one.
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    high 5 4:1 is what i use after testing sis go/psp22 and powerbar peformance drink tho after trying the sample powerbar protein drink its a whole lot better taste than sis rego.
  • I am training to cycle across france and have just discovered this new product called elete. this is a fantastic product contains pure electrolytes and none of the nasty sugars. Plus when you add it in it still tastes like water! Also it is only a small container so not as bulky as nuun and doesn't leave a residue lik SIS! Anyone else heard of it? if not I would get on it. Fantastic for helping with recovery and cramps. look it up eletewater.co.uk