RPCC Ride - Sat 22nd / Sun 23rd Aug

2»

Comments

• Wow!

Great ride today. First time in a bunch, first time on a long ride like that for years. Loved it!

I am sure it didn't look like it too often though ;-)

Kind words there thanks guys. I was fine on the flat just need to get the strength up for the hills me thinks!

Definitely be back.

Thanks all.

B
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    What route did you all take yesterday?
  • we went through Shere, up that nasty neverending hill towards Ewhurst, then down to Peaslake for a damn fine samoosa and cafe break. Then up the hill through the forest and towards Abinger Common then Coldharbour, whizzed down to Dorking then whizzed up Box Hill then smoked it back to RP. Sounds fun, but it was hard work. About 65 miles from and to RP. Avg about 17.3mph.
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    edited August 2009
    I would rather ride a steel bike than do that damn climb :wink:
  • voxegam
    voxegam Posts: 244
    NWLondoner wrote:
    I would rather ride a steel bike than do that damn climb.

Pah, that climb is awesome.
    Trek Madone 6.5 Pro
    Planet-X (now winter-bike)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Myk-ee
    Myk-ee Posts: 276
    NWLondoner wrote:

Oi - I ride a steel frame!!! :wink: It's served me well over the last 13 years :shock:

Well only for another few days until the carbon bling arrives 8)

Is a cracking hill that one. Nice and long but not too steep.
    It's the vibe of the thing.
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
  • voxegam
    Myk-ee wrote:
    NWLondoner wrote:

Oi - I ride a steel frame!!! :wink: It's served me well over the last 13 years :shock:

What bike you getting mykee??
    Trek Madone 6.5 Pro
  • Myk-ee
    Myk-ee Posts: 276
    voxegam wrote:
    Myk-ee wrote:
    NWLondoner wrote:

What bike you getting mykee??

A BMC Pro race SLC01, will use my current SRAM group. Then some go fast wheels, not sure which ones though. Will hopefully be ready for this weekend..
    It's the vibe of the thing.
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    Go fast wheels - deep section then?.....
    Zipp 303/404 combo though with my um 'frame' (- thanks Phips) maybe a 404/808 :?
    Fulcrum racing speed
    SRAM S60 (weighty, but I seem to do okay on their closely related brethren)
    Campag bora ultra :twisted:
    Mavic cosmic carbone?
    Ah what the heck... ask the parts pimp Rich-Ti, he's probably got a spare few sets hanging around. I imagine his flat has shelves with parts of bikes all over it, kind of like an Aladdin's cave :lol:
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    felgen wrote:
    Ah what the heck... ask the parts pimp Rich-Ti, he's probably got a spare few sets hanging around. I imagine his flat has shelves with parts of bikes all over it, kind of like an Aladdin's cave :lol:
    I dream of the day... :wink::lol:

I'm actually currently going through exactly the same bling wheel decision process myself at the mo, and despite the relative faff am even contemplating giving tubs a try.

New winter wheels arriving tomorrow - wheel builder says they look amazing, can't wait (they're only an Open Pro build BTW) 8)
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    Rich-Ti wrote:

New winter wheels arriving tomorrow - wheel builder says they look amazing, can't wait (they're only an Open Pro build BTW) 8)
    Cool, I have my Alex DA-22 cheapie wheelset for the winter.... bring it on!
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    Winter, hmm, never thought I'd say it but I'm even considering getting rollers :shock:
  • Rich-Ti
    Winter, hmm, never thought I'd say it but I'm even considering getting rollers :shock:
    I might be upgrading mine (now there's a surprise :roll: ) so don't jump in head first just yet... :wink:
  • voxegam
    Pah, rollers require a bit of concentration......turbo + TV all the way!
    Trek Madone 6.5 Pro
  • Rich-Ti
    voxegam wrote:
    Pah, rollers require a bit of concentration......turbo + TV all the way!
    Rollers and TV are the real future :wink:

I plan to use both this winter - difficult to work on resistance on rollers...
  • tyskie
    tyskie Posts: 252
    Rich-Ti wrote:

I have a plan for winter wheels. Use my current Campag Neutrons and then buy an even better pair in the spring. My first upgrade - can't wait! :D

Do most people use a not so good bike for the winter rather than their 'summer best'? I guess it's best to have one that takes mudguards, but then again, it doesn't appear to rain much more in the winter than the summer?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/world/city_guides/results.shtml?tt=TT003790
  • Rich-Ti
    tyskie wrote:
    I have a plan for winter wheels. Use my current Campag Neutrons and then buy an even better pair in the spring. My first upgrade - can't wait! :D

Do most people use a not so good bike for the winter rather than their 'summer best'? I guess it's best to have one that takes mudguards, but then again, it doesn't appear to rain much more in the winter than the summer?
    Good plan with the wheels Steve, like your thinking! ;)

I used my R3 with carbon wheels from January onwards earlier this year, but that probably wasn't the wisest idea so this winter I'll be a little more sensible and stick with my CAAD9 (when the replacement finally arrives) and my Open Pro wheels (which now might not be here 'til Friday which is frustrating!).

The one winter off I did have (hilarious syncronised ice dancing with Wilf!) was thankfully before I'd switched to an all carbon setup, but it might have had a different outcome had I have been on the R3 at the time, and that might have been expensive! :shock: