riding a mtb on trails ??

2»

Comments

• fatgit
    fatgit Posts: 166
    purely out of interest when I went out on Saturday I decided not to use the front brake at all and I found I had absolutely no confidence whatsoever. I was breaking miles before I corners to ensure I would actually make it round them. I knew I did most of my breaking on the front but didn't realise how much of a difference it actually makes!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    ^^Precisely, fatgit.

If you really want a shock, try disconnecting the front brakes on your car (no REALLY, don't do that :shock: )
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I took the front brake off my zaskar last month (long story) and went for a ride. Was very strange, no confidence and just poor.
  • fatgit
    fatgit Posts: 166
    I think everyone should give it a go just to see how rubbish it makes them!
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    I had to take the front brake off my commuter a few months back and that was bad enough, can't imagine doing it off road :shock:
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    DH has been on here before insisting on the rear brake only arguement and I seem to recall was one man against the world then too.

As someone else points out most bikes have bigger front to back discs for a reason.

If you are on a steep mountain with only a back brake there is only one way you will stop and that is by hitting something - the front brake is the one that genuinely slows you down. I occassionally use my rear to tighten my line mid corner if I have misjudged things going in (I lock up and snap skid round a bit more) but most of my braking is with the front,

Same on a motorbike - front is 80% of the braking but you dont use them midcorner if you can avoid it.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • marinman1
    marinman1 Posts: 262
    one of my bikes only has one brake, its a front brake and i've yet to go over the bars. and on my proper mountain bike i often use the front brake more than the rear even when going round corners while still maintaining speed, its all about body positioning and brake control. with regards to the OP both brakes are good to use and obviously use what you are most comfortable with, over time braking with both ends will become second nature.