This months procycling

alanmcn1
alanmcn1 Posts: 531
edited August 2009 in Pro race
Right, since it was mentioned that more old posters should return and start some threads............

has anyone read the latest proCycling yet? I thought some of Dan Friebe's reporting on the Tour was excellent, and very eye-opening (beware, I really don't want this to turn into an LA thread). Some the claimed treatment given to Contador shows exactly why he attacked Kloden.

In my opinion well done ProCycling........
Robert Millar for knighthood

Comments

• micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Interesting to see that some of the English speaking media may be immune to revisionism, then :wink:
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    STILL WAITING FOR MY ISSUE!!!!
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    Still need to get mine.. Doh!
  • Got mine, not read it yet. Anything has to be better than last months "power issue" . That was pretty poor.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Last issue was utter bobbins.
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    Am I being slow? Wasn't it not due out until 13th or is that the general release?
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Still waiting for my copy....
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    alanmcn1 wrote:
    has anyone read the latest proCycling yet? I thought some of Dan Friebe's reporting on the Tour was excellent, and very eye-opening (beware, I really don't want this to turn into an LA thread). Some the claimed treatment given to Contador shows exactly why he attacked Kloden.quote]

Got mine on Sat so will make a point of reading that tonight.
  • Yeah - I agree with all above. A spot on issue - and some excellent journo investigating too! Post tour analysis is always quite exciting I think.
  • Moomaloid
    edited August 2009
    after moaning this morning it turned up :oops:
  • I cancelled my subscription after a couple of years as:

I got sick of not being offered a freebee as I renewed automatically with DD
    I got sick of the lance fest
  • alanmcn1
    Pat Murray wrote:
    I cancelled my subscription after a couple of years as:

I would read this months issue, very far removed from a Lancfest...............in fact it is extremely well balanced IMO
  • Moomaloid
    Pat Murray wrote:
    I cancelled my subscription after a couple of years as:

Each to their own. PC is the best magazine available in the UK and i think they do a great job.
  • Yeah. I still prefer Procycling to Cycle Sport, even though they are both very good, but it does annoy me that long term subscribers aren't offered something for being so loyal. I've subscribed since the end of 2005, which if you add up all the £3s every month is a lot of moeny.

And before anyone points out I know it's a better deal than buying it every month but I don't always get the chance to read it all.
  • CyclingBantam
    I must say after flicking through Cycle Sport last night that is way below the standard of Pro Cycling. I find it very frustrating to read. Full of silly errors and very juvanile in places with pointless and unfunny 'in' jokes. Will be cancelling my subscription.
  • BenBlyth wrote:
    I must say after flicking through Cycle Sport last night that is way below the standard of Pro Cycling. I find it very frustrating to read. Full of silly errors and very juvanile in places with pointless and unfunny 'in' jokes. Will be cancelling my subscription.

never liked cycle sport... It's just so sneery about everyone and everything. I remember them doing basically a full "news" section about what a pr!ck, son-of-the-devil, evil, bad person David Millar was when he tested positive, then interviewing him as a prodigal son returning when he came back. Now, were i Millar, I'd have told them to p!ss off, but there you go...

I'm sure they had an editorial policy that the word "lance" had to appear on every month's cover too...

That said, I think Pro Cycling has gone down hill in the last few months. The Power Issue was rubbish, adn is the only edition in 5 years i haven't kept. The list they made was so shoddy it was unreal and the rest of the features were lightweight. Likewise, i get really sick of the constant Tour focus of every piece, asking Maaskant if he could win the Tour being a particular lowpoint.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • "Ride" is way better, although it is shit that it is only 3 monthly and at weird times ie. You get to read about what happened in the TdF in the oct/nov/dec issue. It would be good if they could get one out two-monthly because i just hate waiting after ive read it.

I still rate Procycling the best other cycling magazine my newsagent stocks and get it everytime they get a new one but it is way behind. ie. i only just got the issue with Pozzato on the cover. So i may know what you guys are talking about in sept or october. :cry:
    Do you have any Therapeutic Use Exemptions?
    No. Never have.
    Never? What about the cortisone?
    Well, obviously there was the cortisone
  • Arkibal
    Arkibal Posts: 850
    alanmcn1 wrote:
    Right, since it was mentioned that more old posters should return and start some threads............

has anyone read the latest proCycling yet? I thought some of Dan Friebe's reporting on the Tour was excellent, and very eye-opening (beware, I really don't want this to turn into an LA thread). Some the claimed treatment given to Contador shows exactly why he attacked Kloden.

In my opinion well done ProCycling........

I can't get the magazine, please do tell more about the treatment given to Contador..
  • mercsport
    mercsport Posts: 664
    ProCycling ? Yes , I remember that magazine . I seem to recollect that I preferred it to Cycle Sport too .

I haven't worked it out yet , but I've saved a shedload of loot since Lance resumed his dominance of the printed cycle media . Was it about this time last year ? I forget . However , I don't buy the rags now , and it's been quite cathartic in an odd sort of way . I would imagine Lance might find it cleansing also to 'fess-up should he ever discover the 'conscience' that Greg famously declared he doesn't possess . :roll:
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • alanmcn1
    mercsport wrote:
    ProCycling ? Yes , I remember that magazine . I seem to recollect that I preferred it to Cycle Sport too .

I haven't worked it out yet , but I've saved a shedload of loot since Lance resumed his dominance of the printed cycle media . Was it about this time last year ? I forget . However , I don't buy the rags now , and it's been quite cathartic in an odd sort of way . I would imagine Lance might find it cleansing also to 'fess-up should he ever discover the 'conscience' that Greg famously declared he doesn't possess . :roll:

I knew it was too much to expect this not to become a chance to talk about Mr Armstrong..... :roll:

Like i said read this month's issue.........it is clear that LA and Bruyneel have no supprt to AC whatsoever, even down to him having to recce the Annecy TT route in his brothers car....
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    edited August 2009
    The Power Issue was rubbish, adn is the only edition in 5 years i haven't kept. The list they made was so shoddy it was unreal and the rest of the features were lightweight.

The Power list piece was one of those lazy journalist space filling exercises that you see increasingly in magazines. I suspect that it was one of those editions that was writeen well in advance to clear the decks so they could get geared up for covering the Tour. I'd certainly expect the next issue to be much better.
  • Philip S wrote:
    BenBlyth wrote:
    The Power Issue was rubbish, adn is the only edition in 5 years i haven't kept. The list they made was so shoddy it was unreal and the rest of the features were lightweight.

The Power list piece was one of those lazy journalist space filling exercises that you see increasingly in magazines. I suspect that it was one of those editions that was writeen well in advance to clear the decks so they could get geared up for covering the Tour. I'd certainly expect the next issue to be much better.

Best had be, because the inclusion in the 50 most powerful people in cycling of "some swedish lass" and "a decent french espoir" were just poor.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • mercsport
    mercsport Posts: 664
    alanmcn1 wrote:
    I knew it was too much to expect this not to become a chance to talk about Mr Armstrong..... :roll:

Like i said read this month's issue.........it is clear that LA and Bruyneel have no supprt to AC whatsoever, even down to him having to recce the Annecy TT route in his brothers car....

What exactly might you expect of this thread other than Lance when the predominant topic in all of the cycling rags ( I can but imagine ) is LA v AC .... and the rest ?
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    Best had be, because the inclusion in the 50 most powerful people in cycling of "some swedish lass" and "a decent french espoir" were just poor.
    Agreed - and I seem to remember the justification for the inclusion of the Swede was "we needed to include a woman cyclist and this one's blonde and attractive"... Insightful analysis...
  • CyclingBantam
    I was looking in last months edition last night and they had done an "Alternative Podium" article which listed the top 3 riders "From Astana" or "Who are called Dave".

I just thought why am I paying money for this. Very poor writing if you ask me.
  • BenBlyth wrote:
    I was looking in last months edition last night and they had done an "Alternative Podium" article which listed the top 3 riders "From Astana" or "Who are called Dave".

I just thought why am I paying money for this. Very poor writing if you ask me.

Remember "AStana Vs. Italy, How Levi and Lance WILL win the Giro" back in may? hemhemhem

@gietvangent
  • CyclingBantam
    I had tried to blank that out. I really think it has gone down hill a lot this year. It was never my favourite out of the two (Pro-Cycling) but it is really not even worth reading now. The 'humour' in it is juvernile at best and downright amaturish.

D - CycleSport. Must do a lot better.
  • Moomaloid
    BenBlyth wrote:
    I had tried to blank that out. I really think it has gone down hill a lot this year. It was never my favourite out of the two (Pro-Cycling) but it is really not even worth reading now. The 'humour' in it is juvernile at best and downright amaturish.

D - CycleSport. Must do a lot better.

I totally agree, and when i wrote a long post about the decline of CS i got a PM from the assistant editor telling me i was being unfair. in fairness, the last cpl of issues have been better, but when u consider they hiked the price up again its just not good enough. I know they must put in an awful lot of work to get a mag prepared for publication, but you do feel cheated by some the page filling bumpf they put in there.

PC on the other hand is a top read. Just look at this months. They always think outside the box on their features. I love the way they have gone through the stages of the tour. Not just by telling us what we already know, but by coming at it from different angles. Really good stuff.

the last two issues were below par, but i think they've notched it back up this month.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    Remember "AStana Vs. Italy, How Levi and Lance WILL win the Giro" back in may? hemhemhem
    I bought that issue despite the cover as I wanted a good breakdown of the stages and some background. The whole premise of "the face that gurned from a thousand covers" and his sidekick dominating the Giro was laughable.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    IMHO I prefer Procycling so I hope it keeps up the good work now that Peter Cossins has left. I get t'other one as well but that definitely is a Lancelovefest. At PC they aren't always banging on about doping endlessly. What I always enjoy are: Fab4 as it gives you riders to look out for during the season - this year's lot have done v well - Hautorovic, T Martin etc and I like the columnists - Frank and Dan as you get a view from the peloton and - of course - the sartorial and carismatic Gianni Savio.
    :lol:
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman