Forum home Commuter cycling forum Commuting chat

Breakfast - Best tiime...

malcsussexmalcsussex Posts: 32
edited August 2009 in Commuting chat
Today I ate breakfast about 30 mins before getting on the bike...Ride was much easier that normal. I usually eat about ten minutes before leaving. However I was slower.

What do you reckon? :lol:
No one told me about that hill!!!

• Wallace1492Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    No breakfast for me till after commute.....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • biondinobiondino Posts: 5,990
    I think it depends how long your commute is. Mine's 7 miles to work, and even if I feel hungry when I set off (I never eat breakfast beforehand) I don't find my performance suffers. However, the other day when I rode 12 miles to work I did notice I became ravenous by the end of the journey, although again I didn't suffer in any way.
  • cjcpcjcp Posts: 13,345
    I'm back to trying breakfast after the (14 mile) commute. Bananas and a For Goodness Shakes when I arrive at work.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • CafewandaCafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Before and after my morning commute, or at the very least some kind of mid-morning snack otherwise I'm faint by 11.30

I run as well so I'm generally hungry fairly often :):lol:
  • symosymo Posts: 1,743
    Protein Shake before, banana on arrival.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Rich158Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    symo wrote:

The wrong way round surely. I'd go for the banana first, a slow release of energy plus potasium to guard against cramp, and then a protein shake within 30 mins of finishing to aid the recovery process.

I always have breakfast after the commute and rarely suffer. If it's a big ride, 80 miles plus, then I'll ensure I have a big low GI feed at least an hour beforehand.
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Mike400Mike400 Posts: 226
    This morning, two weetabix, two rounds of toast with butter, banana and a cuppa 30mins before leaving.

Stomach felt like lead the whole way in

Most mornings, two weetabix and a banana at my desk. Starving the whole way in but faster!
    twitter @fat_cyclist
  • symosymo Posts: 1,743
    Rich158 wrote:
    symo wrote:

The wrong way round surely. I'd go for the banana first, a slow release of energy plus potasium to guard against cramp, and then a protein shake within 30 mins of finishing to aid the recovery process.

I always have breakfast after the commute and rarely suffer. If it's a big ride, 80 miles plus, then I'll ensure I have a big low GI feed at least an hour beforehand.

I only cycle 2 miles. Yeah it's short enough for a car journey but you know.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
    Oh and ive just finished my tuna sandwiches I brought in for lunch.

Salivating at the thought of a dirty big mars bar duo.

Geez im hungry today.
    twitter @fat_cyclist
  • Rich158Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    symo wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:
    symo wrote:

Fair do's then. Two miles on a bike is two less car miles, it's all good and one less car on the road :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • AidyAidy Posts: 2,015
    Never eat breakfast before I leave. I would, except eating and then riding directly tends not to work fantastically for me, and I value staying in bed longer :)

I don't tend to eat breakfast after I get in either, although I might start. Don't find I get all that hungry.

If I know I'll be doing a long ride, I'll make sure I eat something in the morning, though.
  • GazzaputtGazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Bonk training at the mo. Breakfast served after the ride.
    Gazzaputt wrote:

And whats that got to do with cycling? ;)
    twitter @fat_cyclist
  • White LineWhite Line Posts: 887
    symo wrote:
    There are so many things wrong with that sentence.

My breakfast usually consists of toast, cereal (if there is some banana or chocolate milk - I hate normal), and a cup of tea. Sometimes I just don't bother though.
  • dilemnadilemna Posts: 2,187
    malcsussex wrote:
    Today I ate breakfast about 30 mins before getting on the bike...Ride was much easier that normal. I usually eat about ten minutes before leaving. However I was slower.

What do you reckon? :lol:

Best time for breakfast?
    At breakfast. The clue is in the name or it's not breakfast.

If I skip breakfast then what ever I am doing I feel like censored . More so if cycling.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • GazzaputtGazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Mike400 wrote:
    Gazzaputt wrote:

And whats that got to do with cycling? ;)

"Fnarr! Fnarr!", "Warf! Warf!"

527987334647f379a30b7.jpg
  • davbaydavbay Posts: 60
    porridge 30 mins before with raisins and a bit of chocolate powder. Does anyone else feel 'squinty' when they eat porridge or mash potatoe. Makes my face feel tickly!

Wierd...
    Anyone else ride a Schwinn?...
  • davbay wrote:
    Does anyone else feel 'squinty' when they eat porridge or mash potatoe. Makes my face feel tickly!

Wierd...
    If I eat cheese, it makes me cry. And the first food of the day makes my cheeks hurt (even if it's not toblerone).

I tend to eat when I get to work - so I can position it as a reward, but I also get monster stitch sometimes if I eat then run/cycle within a couple of hours.

After an 8-mile commute, are bacon sandwiches acceptable fuel?
  • Best time for breakfast?
    At breakfast. The clue is in the name or it's not breakfast.

If I skip breakfast then what ever I am doing I feel like censored . More so if cycling.

Then by definition you can't skip breakfast as whatever meal you have that breaks your fast will be breakfast!! If that happens to be a curry at noon then that's break fast.
    :D
    No-one wanted to eat Patagonia Toothfish so they renamed it Chilean Sea Bass and now it's in danger of over fishing!
  • PorgyPorgy Posts: 4,525
    I had my breakfast half way into work today. But I'm not normally so organised - usually get to eat as I arrive at the office...just as I start to feel hungry.