Breakfast - Best tiime...

malcsussex
malcsussex Posts: 32
edited August 2009 in Commuting chat
Today I ate breakfast about 30 mins before getting on the bike...Ride was much easier that normal. I usually eat about ten minutes before leaving. However I was slower.

What do you reckon? :lol:
No one told me about that hill!!!

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    No breakfast for me till after commute.....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I think it depends how long your commute is. Mine's 7 miles to work, and even if I feel hungry when I set off (I never eat breakfast beforehand) I don't find my performance suffers. However, the other day when I rode 12 miles to work I did notice I became ravenous by the end of the journey, although again I didn't suffer in any way.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I'm back to trying breakfast after the (14 mile) commute. Bananas and a For Goodness Shakes when I arrive at work.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Before and after my morning commute, or at the very least some kind of mid-morning snack otherwise I'm faint by 11.30

I run as well so I'm generally hungry fairly often :):lol:
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Protein Shake before, banana on arrival.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    symo wrote:

The wrong way round surely. I'd go for the banana first, a slow release of energy plus potasium to guard against cramp, and then a protein shake within 30 mins of finishing to aid the recovery process.

I always have breakfast after the commute and rarely suffer. If it's a big ride, 80 miles plus, then I'll ensure I have a big low GI feed at least an hour beforehand.
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Mike400
    Mike400 Posts: 226
    This morning, two weetabix, two rounds of toast with butter, banana and a cuppa 30mins before leaving.

Stomach felt like lead the whole way in

Most mornings, two weetabix and a banana at my desk. Starving the whole way in but faster!
    twitter @fat_cyclist
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Rich158 wrote:
    symo wrote:

The wrong way round surely. I'd go for the banana first, a slow release of energy plus potasium to guard against cramp, and then a protein shake within 30 mins of finishing to aid the recovery process.

I always have breakfast after the commute and rarely suffer. If it's a big ride, 80 miles plus, then I'll ensure I have a big low GI feed at least an hour beforehand.

I only cycle 2 miles. Yeah it's short enough for a car journey but you know.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Mike400
    Oh and ive just finished my tuna sandwiches I brought in for lunch.

Salivating at the thought of a dirty big mars bar duo.

Geez im hungry today.
    twitter @fat_cyclist
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    symo wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:
    symo wrote:

Fair do's then. Two miles on a bike is two less car miles, it's all good and one less car on the road :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Never eat breakfast before I leave. I would, except eating and then riding directly tends not to work fantastically for me, and I value staying in bed longer :)

I don't tend to eat breakfast after I get in either, although I might start. Don't find I get all that hungry.

If I know I'll be doing a long ride, I'll make sure I eat something in the morning, though.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Bonk training at the mo. Breakfast served after the ride.
  • Mike400
    Gazzaputt wrote:

And whats that got to do with cycling? ;)
    twitter @fat_cyclist
  • White Line
    White Line Posts: 887
    symo wrote:
    There are so many things wrong with that sentence.

My breakfast usually consists of toast, cereal (if there is some banana or chocolate milk - I hate normal), and a cup of tea. Sometimes I just don't bother though.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    malcsussex wrote:
    Today I ate breakfast about 30 mins before getting on the bike...Ride was much easier that normal. I usually eat about ten minutes before leaving. However I was slower.

What do you reckon? :lol:

Best time for breakfast?
    At breakfast. The clue is in the name or it's not breakfast.

If I skip breakfast then what ever I am doing I feel like sh1t. More so if cycling.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Mike400 wrote:
    Gazzaputt wrote:

And whats that got to do with cycling? ;)

"Fnarr! Fnarr!", "Warf! Warf!"

527987334647f379a30b7.jpg
  • davbay
    davbay Posts: 60
    porridge 30 mins before with raisins and a bit of chocolate powder. Does anyone else feel 'squinty' when they eat porridge or mash potatoe. Makes my face feel tickly!

Wierd...
    Anyone else ride a Schwinn?...
  • davbay wrote:
    Does anyone else feel 'squinty' when they eat porridge or mash potatoe. Makes my face feel tickly!

Wierd...
    If I eat cheese, it makes me cry. And the first food of the day makes my cheeks hurt (even if it's not toblerone).

I tend to eat when I get to work - so I can position it as a reward, but I also get monster stitch sometimes if I eat then run/cycle within a couple of hours.

After an 8-mile commute, are bacon sandwiches acceptable fuel?
  • Best time for breakfast?
    At breakfast. The clue is in the name or it's not breakfast.

If I skip breakfast then what ever I am doing I feel like sh1t. More so if cycling.

Then by definition you can't skip breakfast as whatever meal you have that breaks your fast will be breakfast!! If that happens to be a curry at noon then that's break fast.
    :D
    No-one wanted to eat Patagonia Toothfish so they renamed it Chilean Sea Bass and now it's in danger of over fishing!
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    I had my breakfast half way into work today. But I'm not normally so organised - usually get to eat as I arrive at the office...just as I start to feel hungry.