Which Hybrid for £1kish? (any help greatly received)

13»

Comments

• Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    MrChuck wrote:
    Stuey01 wrote:
    This looks good:
    Quick, room for guards, good equipment, disc brakes, decent value. Cycling plus loved it.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Ridgeback-Flight-05-2009-Road-Bike_22400.htm

22400_1_Zoom.jpg

No, no, no- you haven't read the script have you? Flat bars == rubbish.
    Now if you put some drops on and called it a CX bike or something it would be fine (even though, as somebody else said, you rarely see anyone actually in the drops in urban areas).

I have read the script, in fact I commute on a road bike, with drops, in the city. I even occasionally use the drops.

I do like the look of that ridgeback though, and for a short commute it would do the job very well indeed.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    I do like the look of that ridgeback though, and for a short commute it would do the job very well indeed.

That was sort of my point :D - it would indeed do that very well, but forum snobbery would have it that anything with flat bars is a waste of time and money, no matter the actual pros and cons involved.
  • russmcp
    russmcp Posts: 28
    amnezia wrote:
    russmcp wrote:

A road bike is a great design for racing - it's *slightly* faster than a fast hybrid, at the cost of a lot of toughness, comfort, braking and turning ability.

:roll:

you're having a laugh.

I didn't quote that, get your facts right
    This fitness lark is getting addictive
  • O'Day
    O'Day Posts: 26
    meanwhile wrote:
    That's the advantage of choosing a genuine flat bar road bike rather than a true hybrid (such as the Cannondale BadBoy that's been mentioned).

No, it isn't.

It is if the OP thinks there may be some advantage in a road bike. He can have one now with flats - like the Scott he linked us to - that can have drops added for relatively little expense later, should he have the desire to do so.

Anyway, I think it's useful to point out to an inexperienced buyer that the 'spectrum of hybrid' includes bikes that are identical to drop bar models in the same range. It may help in the making of what's ultimately his choice.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    I can't see the point of spending £1200 on a bike that's going to cover 30 miles per week.

Personally I'd go for a touring/audax type bike. Something with mudguard clearance and pannier mounts for around half the specified budget.

Bob
  • I've had to ask myself the same question recently, and I own and ride all sorts of bikes from MTB to road.

You say that you're commute is on rough roads, then you're going to need something that's going to soak up some of the sting, so possibly a steel rigid bike, maybe.

My concerns about riding a road bike on rough roads are the maintenance. Until recently I rode a converted mountain bike with front suspension and skinny tyres, and I can't remember the number of spokes I had to replace. So something a little heftier won't necessarily do you any harm.

As the other guys on the forum suggest the options are almost limitless and untimately it's about what YOU want that counts. Something that suits your riding style, the roads you ride and the something that satisfies the following four other main criteria, speed, comfort, relaibility and style are possibly the most important factors to consider when purchasing. Depending on your priorities here, your choices can be easily filtered down.

I decided to go for a Cannondale Bad Boy 8 and in the short time I've owned it am very impressed with it's performance. For me a fairly even cross of the four factors was important to me (that's my choice, right), so the Bad Boy 8 fitted the bill nicely.

The geared hub in theory means less maintenance whilst providing very quick and efficient shifting. It carries all the gearing I need for my commute from going up hills to down them. It's a comfortable ride for my 30 miles daily round trip and it's built to last, I hope.

I've written an initial review with loads of pictures, which you can read and view here.

I personally like disc brakes, especially on a commuter where you never know how quickly you may need to stop. Whatever people here say, good disc brakes will always stop you quicker and more safely than anything else, in any weather conditions. Those that say otherwise haven't ridden decent disc brakes. There are always exceptions though.

Good luck.
    My training blog, videos and other bike related stuff,
    www.bikesr4riding.com -- Twitter Feed
  • Onan
    Onan Posts: 321
    I think that much of the debate between those advocating road bikes and hybrids are largely missing the point. Both cover a very wide range of bikes, and it's silly to get hung up on a decision between types of handlebars.

Whether you go for a flat bar, or a drop bar bike, you need to think about what kind of a cyclist you are. What matters to you? Speed? Comfort? Durability? Easy maintainace? Wherever you place your priority, you can find a bike to suit with either type of handlebars.

Some of the hybrids suggested here are essentially road bikes with race orientated geometries, with flat bars on instead of drops. On the other hand, you could find a comfortable (and still relatively light and fast) touring bike, with room to run wider tyres, fittings for mud guards, panniers and the like, with drop bars. It's not as simple as road bikes fast, hybrids everything else.

My advice would be as follows: If I had the money I spent on my current two bikes back, I would have close to your current budget, and I would get a steel framed tourer. Ideal for commuting, rugged and reliable, but still fast on the roads. A well made steel frame will last you a lifetime, the same cannot be said of aluminium or carbon.

Secondly, if easy maintainance is important to you, don't assume you have to go down the derailleur route. I have no experience in this area myself, but I'm told singlespeed set ups, and internal hub gears are both ideally suited to shortish commutes.
    Drink poison. Wrestle snakes.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Stuey01 wrote:
    MrChuck wrote:
    Stuey01 wrote:
    This looks good:
    Quick, room for guards, good equipment, disc brakes, decent value. Cycling plus loved it.

Now if you put some drops on and called it a CX bike or something it would be fine (even though, as somebody else said, you rarely see anyone actually in the drops in urban areas).

I have read the script, in fact I commute on a road bike, with drops, in the city. I even occasionally use the drops.

If you like that, why not go for this?
    http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/series/croix_de_fer
    I imagine its basically the same bike, but with drops. You could go with 700x25c's and full guards are not a problem (don't let anyone tell you otherwise - I have a similar bike and you just have to bend the supports slightly around the brakes, but not very much).
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    How highly are Cannondale rated in this company?

CAAD9s are the best bikes you can buy in the £1K area
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Stuey01 wrote:
    MrChuck wrote:
    Stuey01 wrote:
    This looks good:

If you like that, why not go for this?
    http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/series/croix_de_fer
    I imagine its basically the same bike, but with drops. You could go with 700x25c's and full guards are not a problem (don't let anyone tell you otherwise - I have a similar bike and you just have to bend the supports slightly around the brakes, but not very much).

I'm not shopping, happy with my roadie. That does look nice though.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Boardman Carbon team??
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.