This section is a joke

Brian B
Brian B Posts: 2,071
edited August 2009 in Pro race
The pro-race section of this Forum is now a joke. There is a hardcore group on this section who obviously post just to get a rise out of people who should know better and then slap each other backs with their 'witty' retorts when they response or less harmlessly they babble insanely between each other about crap.

I do find it amusing however when I think that how proud they must be when they land the best prize of all on this forum - which is to post a link to another doping story before the competition does. Well Done!

Lets get the forum back to how it used to be. It used to be filled with good information and doping/racing was discussed in a mature way.
Brian B.

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Brian B wrote:
    The pro-race section of this Forum is now a joke. There is a hardcore group on this section who obviously post just to get a rise out of people who should know better and then slap each other backs with their 'witty' retorts when they response or less harmlessly they babble insanely between each other about crap.

I do find it amusing however when I think that how proud they must be when they land the best prize of all on this forum - which is to post a link to another doping story before the competition does. Well Done!

Lets get the forum back to how it used to be. It used to be filled with good information and doping/racing was discussed in a mature way.

You could always try something constructive, like contributing to the forum, instead of complaining? What do you want us to talk about?
  • markwalker
    markwalker Posts: 953
    afx237vi wrote:
    Brian B wrote:

You could always try something constructive, like contributing to the forum, instead of complaining? What do you want us to talk about?

Yeah BRIIIIIAN wot he said :)
  • afx237vi
    edited August 2009
    And I didn't mean that as a snark to Brian. I see he contributes occasionally to this part of Bikeradar, but an online community only goes in the direction that its members take it. If you don't like what is being discussed, start a new thread and discuss something else.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Thanks Brian - good reason for me to avoid that section.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Thanks Brian - good reason for me to avoid that section.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    The problem isn't discussion of doping per se. This happened throughout 2006- 2008 and with the exception of the antics of Floydfan, remained relatively civil.

The issue with the forum now is purely Lance. Once he retires again, everything will improve. Roll on August 2010.

Oh, hold on - forgot about Radio Shackatack. We're dooooooommmeed!

Strava is not Zen.
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    calvjones wrote:
    The issue with the forum now is purely Lance. Once he retires again, everything will improve. Roll on August 2010.

true! cycling has become less important than the man himself.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Don't worry fans, I'm on my hols soon so no one will find doping articles. :wink:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Brian B wrote:

Yes, the forum has too many sneering these days :wink:
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    calvjones wrote:
    The problem isn't discussion of doping per se. This happened throughout 2006- 2008 and with the exception of the antics of Floydfan, remained relatively civil.

The problem isnt Lance at all its the anti Lance obsessives, they seem hell bent on commenting and pouring scorn on his every act or utterance.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • ermintrude
    ermintrude Posts: 514
    Totally agree with Brian. Some of you ask why he doesn't post himself about something more interesting, if he's anything like me he will have lost the will to bother, every thread gets high-jacked by somebody with an axe to grind about something (usually Lance or doping).
    Some of the regular neurotics on here should get out more on their bikes and get some perspective on life.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,481
    Go and look at some other online road racing forums, then come back here and share your experiences.

That said, it always makes me laugh when people come here and complain. Are they expecting the regulars to agree with them? Given the state of the sport, do you honestly expect doping to not be a topic of discussion?

If you don't like it you can either try and change it or ignore it. It's very simple.
  • Vino
    Vino Posts: 184
    edited August 2009
    andyp wrote:
    Go and look at some other online road racing forums, then come back here and share your experiences.

That said, it always makes me laugh when people come here and complain. Are they expecting the regulars to agree with them? Given the state of the sport, do you honestly expect doping to not be a topic of discussion?

If you don't like it you can either try and change it or ignore it. It's very simple.

Yes i ignored the complainers and came back despite the prevelance of other dopers in the peleoton. You should mtfu. Drugs are where its at and retirements for whimps

not you AndyP. The whiner
  • afx237vi
    ermintrude wrote:
    Totally agree with Brian. Some of you ask why he doesn't post himself about something more interesting, if he's anything like me he will have lost the will to bother, every thread gets high-jacked by somebody with an axe to grind about something (usually Lance or doping).
    Some of the regular neurotics on here should get out more on their bikes and get some perspective on life.

So don't read the forum. Simple. Or go to another forum where everyone lives in cloud cuckoo land and no-one talks about doping or Lance Armstrong. Good luck with that.

Alternatively, you could just read the parts of the forum that interest you, and ignore the threads where an argument is likely to break out. They're not exactly hard to identify.

I have no idea what this thread is supposed to achieve. It's the equivalent of someone walking into a country pub, approaching a group of regulars having a chat in the corner, sitting down and saying "this place is CRAP, and you're all boring, why don't we talk about something COMPLETELY DIFFERENT."
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    edited August 2009
    iainf72 wrote:
    Don't worry fans, I'm on my hols soon so no one will find doping articles. :wink:

How long can you be without dope???? :wink: Remember, that cold turkey is tough stuff.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    afx237vi wrote:
    So don't read the forum. Simple. Or go to another forum where everyone lives in cloud cuckoo land and no-one talks about doping or Lance Armstrong. Good luck with that.
    I've heard CycleChat is very nice at this time of year, although the use of exclamation marks is strictly rationed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wink:
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The debate always goes downhill in the summer with those who believe that the cycling season extends to 3 weeks in July! I wouldn't blame it on the regulars, but a couple obsessive ranting newcomers who relied on personal attacks as a means of inciting debate. Admittedly, I haven't had the time or the inclination to get too embroiled as I've seen and heard most of it before and couldn't be ar$ed frankly!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Vino wrote:
    andyp wrote:

Yes i ignored the complainers and came back despite the prevelance of other dopers in the peleoton. You should mtfu. Drugs are where its at and retirements for whimps

not you AndyP. The whiner

Vino, you appear to have two accounts - please use just one of them as it is against the forum rules to have multiple accounts.
  • FOAD
    FOAD Posts: 318
    Moray Gub wrote:
    calvjones wrote:

The problem isnt Lance at all its the anti Lance obsessives, they seem hell bent on commenting and pouring scorn on his every act or utterance.

Or is the problem people who can't see the forest for the trees matey?
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    FOAD wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    calvjones wrote:

I take the long view. Can't see the trees for the forest. Sorry, couldn't resist. Very slow at work lately.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Dennis, is it ever busy in work? Can I swap jobs with you? :lol:

Strava is not Zen.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited August 2009
    Yes, I agree with this thread...

Theres maybe many who defend this particular thread accusation with "well contribute to the section rather than complain" etc..

But in my case I tried for a time to contribute to the 'Race' section of bkeradar but gave up near a year ago...and I have been (on the quiet) reading now and again and it has went downhill....although the sport has definately got a major drugs problem (and has done for decades) ...drug scandals seem to dominate most of the section?...I know it cannot be ignored but do we really have to concentrate so much on it?

And then LA came back into the equation....holy moly the section just plummeted...anger,hate,spite...its like an angry football forum nowadays...guys seem to just want to release built up anger....and it wasnt like that in the C+ forum days? when LA was at the height of his powers?...sure,there were many who disliked him and much preferrred Ullrich...but none I can remember showed such hostility and down right nastiness on the forum?...

Ive tried to be constructive on this particluar section...and ended up receiving major confrontational replies...and guys making out my views were 'gullable,laughable,naive'...like I say just exteremly bad taste...to the point I myself entered a few nasty replies...especially at the obsessed types....not proud of it right enough.

But I tell you all...its only this section...in the other forum sections of Bikeradar it still remains a place of good info and friendliness/helpfulness....with none of the bad stuff attached....
  • avalon
    avalon Posts: 345
    Venrod?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    And then LA came back into the equation....holy moly the section just plummeted...anger,hate,spite...its like an angry football forum nowadays...guys seem to just want to release built up anger....and it wasnt like that in the C+ forum days? when LA was at the height of his powers?...sure,there were many who disliked him and much preferrred Ullrich...but none I can remember showed such hostility and down right nastiness on the forum?...

That's probably to do with people knowing there was a problem during the reign of LA, but then in the years following that realising just how big the problem was. As more stuff has moved into the public domain some people have just ended up being horrified. And Armstrong is a flash point for that. His return just drags that all up for people.

You can't ignore doping. It would be nice if people contributed to the discussions or started new ones.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Takis61
    Takis61 Posts: 239
    Frankly I see more positive stuff in Road Beginners.
    My knees hurt !
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Brian B wrote:

The Media have been pumping out so much B/S about some old man attaching himself to a professional cycling team and they have led the public with thoughts that he is a team member. They have alleged there are 2 team captains and stirred the sh*t and failed to say that one is not a member of the team.
    The Media have brought this problem of yours to the Fore because we get so Frustrated with their B/S,, that this forum is about the only place to blow off steam and give vent to our feelings.
    The guy knew his return would be controversial and we join in that.
    The Media have great delight with informing the public about Drugs In Cycling and you don't think we should make any comment.

Dream on Baby and go back to sleep or as I find that my bike rides give me time to Relax and be pleased with life away from the Dammed Media. (provided I don't get hit by another car)
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • moray_gub
    afx237vi wrote:
    [quote=
    I have no idea what this thread is supposed to achieve. It's the equivalent of someone walking into a country pub, approaching a group of regulars having a chat in the corner, sitting down and saying "this place is CRAP, and you're all boring, why don't we talk about something COMPLETELY DIFFERENT."

You mean you havent done that ? :D
  • moray_gub
    FOAD wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    calvjones wrote:

dont let that put you off matey
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Good replies but if anybody here has seen any of my previous entries you will have seen that I a fairly realistic in my approach to doping and have stressed many times that it will never be a clean sport.

That doesent mean that every thread has to be hijacked and brought around to doping or Lance who is deemed to be the devil incarnate. I have never been a Lance fan and never will be. I surely wont be the first to say that this years racing was more exciting leading up and through the TDF with his participation though!

The purpose of this thread was to highlight the repetitive threads for doping/Armstrong and to see if anybody else agreed with me about it - which some clearly do.

Its a forum so everybody is entitled to speak their mind and express their views but I guess a lot of people like dont post here regular because it invetitabley just gets lost in the hate/doping babble.

I dont use any other Forum really so dont know the competition which is irrelevant as I was saying that it used to be so good here until went downhill.
    Brian B.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    The place has taken a dive recently but like has been said before I blame the TDF. It was fine before and will no doubt be fine again in a few weeks. I rarely contribute because I know nothing about pro cycling but I enjoy a good read, I found myself not bothering that much during the TDF though.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017