HRM malfunction I hope

attica
attica Posts: 2,362
edited August 2009 in Training, fitness and health
A combination of laziness, work commitments, biblical rainstorms and a rather gripping tour on the telly have kept me off the bike for about 3 weeks lately, so I was really looking forward to shaking my legs out after work tonight.
I set off at a reasonable pace, I never push too hard for a mile or three even at the best of times, anyway when I looked down at my HRM it was reading 223 BPM (Should have been about 160 from experience), I monitored it for a bit and it dropped gradually back to normal after about 4 miles of warming up., there didn't seem to be any massive step changes in the heart rate, just gradual return to normal I felt no pain or discomfort either.

This isn't the first time it's happened, I replaced my HRM earlier this year because I kept getting freakishly high readings and all has been fine for about the last 6 months, but now it's happening with a new HRM. There are two common factors here, the rider and the Cateye Wireless Computer on the bike, has anyone ever found any interference or cross talk between the two? The two HRMs used were a Polar S something and now a Garmin Forerunner 50.

Needless to say I'll be booking a doctors appointment soon just for a checkup.
Has anyone had a similar experience?
"Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"

Comments

• I own, but do not use, a Cateye heart rate monitor. It frequently blips out to 240 bpm. This makes it unusable. Funnily enough I was testing it last night. It seems OK monitoring the HR when not in the timed function but switching on the stopwatch results in the high blip. All this was reproducible with my other half wearing the HRM, so unless we both have dicky tickers, I'm inclined to blame the machine. I'm going to try replacing the batteries (although it has always done this - so I don't think it's a low battery issue) and possibly use a gel for better electrode contact with the skin?
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    A wireless thingy might disturb a heart rate monitor but this is less likely with newer HRM models. A poster on here - Popette - had something similar which turned out to be a heart problem .She's now fixed and rode the Etape this year! so don't worry too much! But do get yourself properly checked. If you feel okay otherwise its probably nothing - move teh cateye/HRM so they are well apart?
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    A wireless thingy might disturb a heart rate monitor but this is less likely with newer HRM models. A poster on here - Popette - had something similar which turned out to be a heart problem .She's now fixed and rode the Etape this year! so don't worry too much! But do get yourself properly checked. If you feel okay otherwise its probably nothing - move teh cateye/HRM so they are well apart?

Static from jerseys in the breeze can also cause this. Happens to me every so often.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • BigDarbs
    BigDarbs Posts: 132
    I wouldn't worry too much about a doctors check up, if your heart was racing at that pace, with little effort you would feel it.

I have used various Polar monitors over the past 20 years and they have all done exactly the same as yours. It is definitley not cross-talk in my case as I rarely ride with anyone else who is using a HRM.

The pattern for mine over-reading tends to be early in the ride, before I have started to sweat, and the weather is cool. The colder the weather the more it will take time to settle down. It may be static from the jersey, but I would expect it to appear during the ride as opposed to just the beginning.

I feel it is more likely to be a combination of the connection between skin and sensors on the strap, that only pick up a good signal once the sweat is making a good electrical connection.

I also heard anecdotal evidence that someone I raced with spoke to Polar about it and they said that muscles under the surface of your skin on your chest twitch when they are cold to keep your core temperature up. This twitching causes high readings on the HRM, until your body warms and the fast twitching stops, hence why it is only early in a ride.

On the early Polar HRM's I used an electro gel (the same used when doctors carry out an ECG) to make a good conection. This worked on the old type but the new Polar HRM's with the mesh connectors don't like it at all!

Try making sure the strap and your chest are really wet before you put the strap on, also I find putting the chest strap on well before I go out gives it chance to get damp under the strap, which helps the reliability of the connection.
  • attica
    Static from jerseys in the breeze can also cause this. Happens to me every so often.
    BigDarbs wrote:
    I feel it is more likely to be a combination of the connection between skin and sensors on the strap, that only pick up a good signal once the sweat is making a good electrical connection.

Thanks everyone for your words of wisdom.

I seem to remember that static disipates when mosture is present (think static in dry hair versus wet hair) so there's every chance that both of these theories are contributing factors, it also needs noting that I wore a cheapo Decathlon "string vest" type base layer yesterday that crackles like mad with static.

I will get this checked simply because my Dad had Atrial Fibrilation from time to time, but I've a strong suspicion that the HRM was wrong not me. Thanks again
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Sounds like "Flapping Jersey Syndrome" - from an earlier post:
    Bronzie wrote:
    "Flapping jersey syndrome" was a new one to me until I got a replacement Garmin 705 unit under warranty this April - the new unit seems much more prone to it than the old one for some reason. Never had any problems with my old Polar HRM.

The Motionbased forums have some advice on how to avoid problems, but not sure how practical they are:
    - the tighter fitting your jersey, the better (obvsiously!)
    - less of a problem in humid or damp weather
    - merino wool jerseys or base layers are apparently not subject to static build up (can't vouch for this as I haven't been able to buy a merino base layer as so few available and I only wear club jerseys so not much help)
    - ditto for damp jersey or base layers (hence you normally have crazy readings early in a ride, but once you start sweating it reduces the problem)
    - anti-static spray (I got some from an on-line sewing shop) may work although I've found that once it dries out the problems re-appear

Frankly, it's a pain in the butt. Can go for several rides without any trouble and then get a whole ride with stupidly high readings when freewheeling downhill or riding into a headwind.
  • Brommers76
    Brommers76 Posts: 234
    Easy way to tell if it's a malfunction rather than a heart problem. Stop immediately and manually take your pulse. If you can't count quick enough or even feel distinct beats then it is probably an accurate reading and then worth investigating further.

Friend of mine had a similar problem running and it was an electical fault in his heart. Once identified it was easily cured and back running within 4 days of the procedure.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Attica wrote:
    kept me off the bike for about 3 weeks lately,

Simple solution, you were excited at being back on the bike after 3 weeks of rest.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • power lines mess mine up
  • Moaner
    Moaner Posts: 117
    I had the same thing with a garmin - turn out to be atrial fibrillation. This was easily rectified. May equally be down to static from your jersey.
    Get it checked out, but I was told at the hospital that atrial fibrillation is not something you inherit.
  • Moaner
    Moaner Posts: 117
    I had the same thing with a garmin - turn out to be atrial fibrillation. This was easily rectified. May equally be down to static from your jersey.
    Get it checked out, but I was told at the hospital that atrial fibrillation is not something you inherit.
  • oxford
    oxford Posts: 34
    Well, I had one of these spikes...

3 mins into a ride... Dont think my heart is capable of beating at 230 BPM. Certainly never had it before and doubt I will get it again:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/10383259
  • johnnyc71
    johnnyc71 Posts: 178
    My HR max is around 224 bpm, that's been recorded on a Polar CS600. Thought it was random spikes at first, but seems to be a naturally high maximum.
  • attica
    johnnyc71 wrote:
    My HR max is around 224 bpm, that's been recorded on a Polar CS600. Thought it was random spikes at first, but seems to be a naturally high maximum.

I see your point, but I've not had my HR over 196 in a year or two now (220 - age = 183, so not bad really) , and I really wouldn't expect to max out at 17mph on a flat road with no noticeable headwind
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Brommers76 wrote:
    Easy way to tell if it's a malfunction rather than a heart problem. Stop immediately and manually take your pulse. If you can't count quick enough or even feel distinct beats then it is probably an accurate reading and then worth investigating further.

Friend of mine had a similar problem running and it was an electical fault in his heart. Once identified it was easily cured and back running within 4 days of the procedure.

As Ut_Och says, I had daft readings and put it down to interference. I didn't have any feelings of heart racing but on 20% hills, I did start to find it hard to breath (I just thought I'd lost fitness over winter or perhaps had Asthma). I remember doing Cheshire Cat sportive, looking at my HR over 200 for about 2 hours or so, chatting away, feeling absolutely fine and telling my husband what a rubbish machine my Garmin was. When I started trying to take my pulse, it was impossible - beats seemed to be very random. I went to the docs 3 times before they referred me on (they said it was a virus that was leading to breathlessness). ECG showed it straight away though - Atrial Flutter. I had cardioversion and did go on to finish Etape a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, I got some high readings again last week - 196, when my tested max is 169. Reading this thread makes me hopeful that it could be the flapping jersey thing as it was within the first 5 minutes of riding. However, given the history, I'm seeing the cardiologist tonight to make sure.

Attica, it's probably nothing but it's worth checking up for your peace of mind. If you have print outs of your HRs, they may be worth taking into the doctor. It was when I did that that they started taking a bit more notice.
  • Bronzie
    popette wrote:
    Unfortunately, I got some high readings again last week - 196, when my tested max is 169. Reading this thread makes me hopeful that it could be the flapping jersey thing as it was within the first 5 minutes of riding. However, given the history, I'm seeing the cardiologist tonight to make sure.
    Hey Popette, hope you are in the clear with the results.

Flapping Jersey Syndrome is easy to diagnose - if you see crazy HR readings, just put one hand* over the front of your jersey and pull the material tight, the reading should quickly return to normal levels.

* - only problem is that on a fast descent when it's most likely to happen, having both hands on the bars is usually preferable :x
  • popette
    Bronzie wrote:
    Hey Popette, hope you are in the clear with the results.

phew! yes I am clear :D
  • Bronzie
    Cool! No more electrodes on the nips for you then............. 8)
  • popette
    Bronzie wrote:
    Cool! No more electrodes on the nips for you then............. 8)
    :lol::lol: hey, that's the best bit about having a heart problem!!
  • oxford
    There is always a positive!
  • attica
    oxford wrote:
    There is always a positive electrode!

fixed that for ya :wink:
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • oxford
    Hehe, I was going to go for that too, but your fast and very witty :)