Rain, rain and more rain :(

cgarossi
cgarossi Posts: 729
edited August 2009 in MTB general
I'm at work, and while I don't mind it raining while im at work, im getting seriously depressed about the current 'summer'.

I want to do cwmcarn this weekend and i'm hoping and praying for some fair weather. I've not been to carn for ages, does it get too wet to ride?

Roll on UK summers! :roll:

Comments

• According to the Met Office this morning, the bad summer is all our fault. When we were told that there was going to be a summer long heatwave that's not what they meant. All they really wanted to say was that it might just be a little bit warmer than usual. Unfortunately the press release, that they sent out, was not meant to give a true indication of the forecast for the summer. We should have known the the Met Office doesn't exist to forecast the weather so it's all our fault that we are not getting the summer that we would like, or thought that we were promised.

Lower your expectations and you'll have a great summer next year.
    Frank Yates
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Weathers gonna be bad this weekend, BUT Cwmcarn is never too wet to ride, the ground drains well and it's not even that slippery in the wet.
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    I just got back from 3 weeks in Seden and Norway, road touring an mountin biking. We had exactly 2 days without rain in that period and one of those i'm being kind about as there was a light shower in the evening but it was after we finished biking

now I need a new tent *sigh*

and for a followup? we're off to Scotland for a week in Aug to ride the stains. Talk about glutton for punishment :roll:
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • papasmurf.
    papasmurf. Posts: 2,382
    I'm turning into a right fair weather rider with all these summers of rain...can't wait for those crisp frosty mornings..its the closest we get to sunbaked trails nowadays. Though I do recall a couple of dusty trails way back in the days of May
  • Nik_B
    Nik_B Posts: 270
    I am in Saudi Arabia at the moment. It is as hot at 50 degrees.

Would you like a trade?

:P
  • papasmurf.
    papasmurf. Posts: 2,382
    nah you're alright, don't think me and the vice and virtue police would get on very well..
  • papasmurf. wrote:
    I'm turning into a right fair weather rider with all these summers of rain...can't wait for those crisp frosty mornings..its the closest we get to sunbaked trails nowadays. Though I do recall a couple of dusty trails way back in the days of May

aye, I remember feeling the warmth on my legs in april & thinking "we're in for a great year"

WRONG :lol:
    Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs
  • dot1
    dot1 Posts: 538
    i rode a dusty trail once, that was a good year.
    Trek Remedy 7 2009
    viewtopic.php?t=12634629

Boardman Pro Singlespeed - Sold
    viewtopic.php?t=12752297&highlight=

Giant Defy 5 2012
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Off to Whites tomorrow and the area is currently under a server weather warning.....feck.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • cgarossi
    cgarossi Posts: 729
    Sod it. Im going out tonight, its what a water proof jackets for right?
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Im seriously considering nipping out for a ride, haven't been out since monday.

Perfect time for testing the mud x tyres.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    dust? sun? what are these words?

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    I'm fortunate in possessing a fully waterproof skin, which I wear under my clothes. It's not as if it's cold or anything, so just get out and get wet.

PS, I know that this isn't the maintenance page, but is orangy-brown liquid running out of a headset bad?
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Yes usually means something inside is rusting usually the bearings or steerer tube.

Could be grease escaping but at that colour i doubt it, get it looked at asap.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    I think all the grease escaped a long time ago! Back on topic, it seems like every time I poke my nose out of the door these days, someone turns on one of those movie special effects wind machines in my face and starts chucking buckets of water at me and my bike. I dry out afterwards without ill effects, but the bike maintenance is getting wearing!
  • Stewwmb
    Stewwmb Posts: 257
    Just get out, i went out this morning did 20 miles in the pouring rain and it was ace.

I think we are going to have to get used to our new style summers.

One good thing about it though the only people I saw for the whole ride were two horse riders. Cant complain about that one bit :)
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    I bet some of you don't like riding in the rain because you have to clean the bike more often :wink:

Get out and enjoy those muddy puddles :roll:
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    I bet some of you LIKE riding in the rain because you have to clean the bike LESS often :wink:

Corrected :wink:
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    I bet some of you LIKE riding in the rain because you have to clean the bike LESS often :wink:

AND THE MUD? :D
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    I went for the quick kentmere loop after work last night and the streams are now raging torrents belly button deep, my wife added to it by saying its a bit pointless those goretex shorts, yep I had to agree
  • Fully
    Fully Posts: 257
    I've been out for a dry and dusty ride this afternoon.... in Germany 8) .

I think our weather has only been slightly better than the UK this Summer though. We generally get what you have, albeit a day or two later. It has been very warm and sunny though since Saturday here, and has dried the trails out a treat after last weekends thunderstorms. I think the forecast for this weekend is a bit iffy though, not that i'm overly fussed, i'm off to Greece for 2 weeks on Saturday......
    Forget your heart, it's your bank i wanna break, it's just yer money i'm after baby...

A Few Pics
  • Biggus86
    Biggus86 Posts: 385
    Stewwmb wrote:
    Just get out, i went out this morning did 20 miles in the pouring rain and it was ace.

I think we are going to have to get used to our new style summers.

One good thing about it though the only people I saw for the whole ride were two horse riders. Cant complain about that one bit :)

Yeah I was thinking today at work about all the people manning it out haha. But yeah, when i go out in the rain, theres generally no one, not even dog walkers
  • mikey0303
    mikey0303 Posts: 134
    I went out yesterday afternoon between showers but got it wrong and ended up drenched. The bike ended up getting a good clean when I got back :roll:
    Cube Attempt 2011
  • capoz77
    capoz77 Posts: 503
    I'm a "water ingress freak" and the option of cleaning my bike in the rain isn't going to happen, and the thought of chucking it in the shed full of water and gunk in every nook and cranny isn't a pleasant one.

Because i've done this for most of winter ...

I can deal with the mud and cleaning in winter as I get rewarded in the summer with no maintenance whatsoever. , in the knowledge i've got some nice clear blue sky days, trail dust, i FRIGGIN LOVE TRAIL DUST, its so much kinder to the bike and rider, give the frame a light brush with your finger and it sweeps away like a moth. LOL :lol: nice sweet singletrack, nice breeze, nice hot weather, clear skies, few whispy clouds, not a care in the world. just nice.

But then this knowledge is ruined, when it rains EVERY FRIGGIN DAY. That just ain't right in July.A few days I can accept, but every day grey grey grey, rain rain rain.

Spring are nice as of last few years, and September we normally get an Indian summer, but July and August is now officially monsoon season! WTF!
  • dot1
    dot1 Posts: 538
    nothing we can do about it! until someone gets hold of mother nature and asks her for a bit of sun it looks like rain for the forseeable future. learn to love the mud, the rain and getting soaked! man up, saddle up and get riding!
    Trek Remedy 7 2009
    viewtopic.php?t=12634629

Boardman Pro Singlespeed - Sold
    viewtopic.php?t=12752297&highlight=

Giant Defy 5 2012
  • Stewwmb
    Stewwmb Posts: 257
    Just out of interest, has anyone else managed to get their other halfs to allow them to clean their bike in the bath?

I have :D Makes life a lot easier lol
  • maloo
    maloo Posts: 214
    Stewwmb wrote:
    Just out of interest, has anyone else managed to get their other halfs to allow them to clean their bike in the bath?

I have :D Makes life a lot easier lol

lol no but a mate takes his into the shower :lol:
  • Biggus86
    Biggus86 Posts: 385
    capoz77 wrote:
    I'm a "water ingress freak" and the option of cleaning my bike in the rain isn't going to happen, and the thought of chucking it in the shed full of water and gunk in every nook and cranny isn't a pleasant one.

Because i've done this for most of winter ...

I can deal with the mud and cleaning in winter as I get rewarded in the summer with no maintenance whatsoever. , in the knowledge i've got some nice clear blue sky days, trail dust, i FRIGGIN LOVE TRAIL DUST, its so much kinder to the bike and rider, give the frame a light brush with your finger and it sweeps away like a moth. LOL :lol: nice sweet singletrack, nice breeze, nice hot weather, clear skies, few whispy clouds, not a care in the world. just nice.

But then this knowledge is ruined, when it rains EVERY FRIGGIN DAY. That just ain't right in July.A few days I can accept, but every day grey grey grey, rain rain rain.

Spring are nice as of last few years, and September we normally get an Indian summer, but July and August is now officially monsoon season! WTF!

Stop moaning haha jk.

Yeah, i know what you mean, but bikes are meant to be ridden whatever the weather, or 'can' be ridden, might wear parts a lot more than in the dry but oh well. I like getting blathered every now and then :)
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663

AND THE MUD? :D

I ride from the train pretty frequenlty, with 4-5 miles home on the road from the station. Sometimes my bike's been as clean as it's ever been by the time I get home!
  • Max A
    Max A Posts: 21
    There's not a hope in hell's chance i'd let my OH clean his bike in the bath! that said he doesn't clean the bath out after he's been in so there's no chance he'd do it after washing the bike. :shock:

i'm fed up with the rain too...it's not exactly motivating to go out for a ride when it's freezing and chucking it down. :?