Schlecks to Team Radio Shack

timoid.
timoid. Posts: 3,133
edited July 2009 in Pro race
Phil and Paul were wittering on about the Schlecks being hired for Armstrong's new team. Does this one have legs?

Oh and Brice Feillu too.

Say it ain't so!
It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    They'd be crazy. Wouldn't imagine they'd want to leave Riis. Didn't he once say Frank was like a son to him?
  • grimpeur
    grimpeur Posts: 230
    Can't see them leaving Riis, especially given the level of support they receive there.
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    Seems unlikely, but money talks so unless Riis can find a decent cosponsor it might just be possible
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    bipedal wrote:
    Seems unlikely, but money talks so unless Riis can find a decent cosponsor it might just be possible

A good move for both if they have decided that they have no ambitions. This team will be for LA - with no room for renegades!! If LA can't win it in the normal fashion, he will need to go out and employ the opposition.
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    I think its just yet another example of just why phil and paul should be pensioned off. Some of their commentary has been disgraceful, the intelligence comment today being the latest in a long line of bollox dropped by the LA fan club.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • Harrid
    Harrid Posts: 22
    there may be something in quality riders working for Armstrong in 2010 in his last attempt at winning the TdF, if they can be convinced that the team is a solid future prospect for 2011 onwards (without Armstrong as a rider)...
  • GroupOfOne MkII
    GroupOfOne MkII Posts: 1,289
    Feillu's are supposed to have joined FDJ, but I haven't seen that confirmed anywhere. It also seemed Silence were sniffing around Brice, but god knows why any aspiring GT rider would go there. Your bio-passport will either self-destruct or your team will around you.
  • GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    wicked wrote:
    I think its just yet another example of just why phil and paul should be pensioned off. Some of their commentary has been disgraceful, the intelligence comment today being the latest in a long line of bollox dropped by the LA fan club.

Half way up the Ventoux. "Frank Schleck is having a really bad day today" ... "Lance is having a great day today" ... while riding side-by-side ... duhhhhhh.
  • Odelay!
    Odelay! Posts: 58
    Half way up the Ventoux. "Frank Schleck is having a really bad day today" ... "Lance is having a great day today" ... while riding side-by-side ... duhhhhhh.

Well, based on some of the previous stages one would've expected Frank to drop Lance, so he could've been said to be having a relatively bad day.. not that was necessarily in the Chuckle Brother's minds when they were commentating
  • GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    Odelay! wrote:

Well, based on some of the previous stages one would've expected Frank to drop Lance, so he could've been said to be having a relatively bad day.. not that was necessarily in the Chuckle Brother's minds when they were commentating

Exactly. The onus was on Frank to try to drop him, but it was obvious where the sympathies were, and the comments were overkill.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I did post a couple of days ago that Lance asked Merckx to have a word with Johnny about his boys going to Radio Shack.

He obviously doesn't expect to win again otherwise why hire the 2nd favourite to win the Tour?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    afx237vi wrote:
    They'd be crazy. Wouldn't imagine they'd want to leave Riis. Didn't he once say Frank was like a son to him?

wouldn't that make Frank Basso's brother? :?
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    They'd be silly to, given the battle for leadership Contador had with Lance this year.

If they want to concentrate on the Vuelta and Giro, then go for it.
  • Good ol' Paul and Phil, never let logic and good sense get in the way of talking up Lance. I heard Phil say at one point that Lance was helping his old mate Contador ( cant for the life of me figure out exactly what it is Lance was suppose to be doing ) and i had to have a chuckle especially now its obvious that there was real tension between the two. I wonder how the those two will spin it next year when it will be open warfare?
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.
  • Earthbound
    Earthbound Posts: 109
    Why would genuine GT contender Andy Schleck, take a step down to be a has been's bitch?
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Earthbound wrote:
    Why would genuine GT contender Andy Schleck, take a step down to be a has been's *****?

How many "has beens" do you know that have finished third in the TDF? And how about you? Where did you finish? I didn't catch your name in the results. Or did you skip this years tour because you had other commitments?
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    dennisn wrote:
    Earthbound wrote:
    Why would genuine GT contender Andy Schleck, take a step down to be a has been's *****?

How many "has beens" do you know that have finished third in the TDF? And how about you? Where did you finish? I didn't catch your name in the results. Or did you skip this years tour because you had other commitments?

Dennis - that's the comeback I use when I can't think of anything better to say. Turn it around on the poster.

BTW - LA is a has been. He has been a TdF winner in the past, and it's extremely unlikely that he will again.

It's not a derogative comment; it's a fact.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Sounds unlikely but I suppose it all depends on what they think Armstrong's role is going to be. Can't see them being in a hurry to put themselves in the position Contador found himself in at Astana, but OTOH Armstrong's comments about doing lots of different stuff (Triathlon) might suggest he'd be taking more of a back seat. But I'm sure he's also said he'd be in the Tour to win it next year?
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    BTW - LA is a has been. He has been a TdF winner in the past, and it's extremely unlikely that he will again.

"Has been' generally refers to someone that was at the top of their game and is now a distant-ran. If Lance had finished 147th overall - you could call him a has-been.

Coming 3rd doesn't really qualify by any stretch of the imagination.
  • SpaceJunk
    Pokerface wrote:
    SpaceJunk wrote:

"Has been' generally refers to someone that was at the top of their game and is now a distant-ran. If Lance had finished 147th overall - you could call him a has-been.

Coming 3rd doesn't really qualify by any stretch of the imagination.

Fair call then Pokerface. I don't use the terrm to that degree.

Forgetting that, I still wouldn't move to Radio Shack UNLESS I saw exactly who was on the Roster. Andy's biggest challenger will be AC (and vice versa). I guess he has to decide do I stay at Saxo Bank or will my chances increase elsewhere.

The other factor he would probably consider would be what becomes of his (and by extension, his brother) race program. If they want to target LBL, Ardennes classic etc, will they be able to do so @ Radio Shack? Or would they be told to concentrate on TdF.

Regardless of that, I take everything Paul and Phil say now with a pinch of Salt.
  • dennisn
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Earthbound wrote:

Dennis - that's the comeback I use when I can't think of anything better to say. Turn it around on the poster.

I never said I could think of anything better. I just said it to voice an opinion. Put him down a bit. Sort of like he writes in and puts others down.
    In any case if the third place tour finisher is a has been what about the guys below him?
    You and I must really be total losers, if 3rd. in the TDF is washed up. We should probably be killed, simply to rid the earth of lowly scum like us. :wink::wink:
  • MrChuck

I don't see Armstrong winning again either, but it's a bit disingenuous to say it's not a derogatory comment and you don't say much for the rest of the peloton if you can write his 3rd place off so easily.
  • SpaceJunk
    MrChuck wrote:

I don't see Armstrong winning again either, but it's a bit disingenuous to say it's not a derogatory comment and you don't say much for the rest of the peloton if you can write his 3rd place off so easily.

Sorry MrChuck - my post was nothing more than a bit of tongue in cheek. Should've used an emotion or something - just being mischievous whilst I get over my withdrawal symptoms.

It's like calling Federer a has been after he lost the Australian Open to Nadal earlier this year. Just not right.

LA won't win the Tour again, but you can bet he'll be competitive.
  • Earthbound
    MrChuck wrote:

He 'has been' a tour winner
    He will not be again.

Simple.

Seeing as he never rides any other event I can't see what else he will be in the future.
  • pictit
    pictit Posts: 603
    3rd in tour de france = has been ?.I don't think so.Semantics maybe. For Armstrong all it means is that he is past his best and will not win this race again.But all things considered a remarkable achievement for any athlete. [in my book].
  • Earthbound
    Earthbound wrote:
    MrChuck wrote:

He will not be again.

Simple.

Seeing as he never rides any other event I can't see what else he will be in the future.

Forgot to, say the point being, we are discussing the Schlecks. Andy Schelck could be a Tour winner in the future. He could be a Giro or Vuelta winner in the future.

If he want to Radio Shack those potentials, ambitions would be lost, he would be required to perfom the role of, as I said (but the forum software blocks it) , Armstrong's be-a-itch. Just asl Leipheimer and Kloden this year were already essentially working for Radio Shack even though it wqs Astana paying their wages.

To ride for Radio Shack would be a step down for the Schleks - FACT.
  • MrChuck
    Earthbound wrote:
    MrChuck wrote:

He will not be again.

Simple.

Right, but would you say that calling someone a has-been is a simple statement of fact with absolutely no derogatory undertone? Would you call, say, Lewis Hamilton a has- been? After all, he won't win this year and there's no guarantee he will again so it's justified, right?

SpaceJunk got it 8)
  • dennisn
    Earthbound wrote:
    MrChuck wrote:

He will not be again.

Simple.

It's great that you can see into the future. I'd like to apologize for anything I may have said against you and could you please forward the next winning lotto numbers to me. :wink::wink::wink:
  • MrChuck
    Earthbound wrote:
    Earthbound wrote:
    MrChuck wrote:

He will not be again.

Simple.

Forgot to, say the point being, we are discussing the Schlecks. Andy Schelck could be a Tour winner in the future. He could be a Giro or Vuelta winner in the future.

If he want to Radio Shack those potentials, ambitions would be lost, he would be required to perfom the role of, as I said (but the forum software blocks it) , Armstrong's be-a-itch. Just asl Leipheimer and Kloden this year were already essentially working for Radio Shack even though it wqs Astana paying their wages.

To ride for Radio Shack would be a step down for the Schleks - FACT.

Agreed, if Armstrong is going to be the team leader for the foreseeable future. If the Schlecks have reason to think he won't be then I suppose a well-funded team with Bruyneel as director has got to be a fairly attractive proposition?
    Still, can't see it really but you never know.
  • Earthbound
    MrChuck wrote:
    Agreed, if Armstrong is going to be the team leader for the foreseeable future. If the Schlecks have reason to think he won't be then I suppose a well-funded team with Bruyneel as director has got to be a fairly attractive proposition?

And Saxo Bank/Riise with the Schlecks already installed as 1 & 2 somehow isn't an attractive proposition? A well funded, well organised team whose primary aim next year as this year is putting Andy Schleck in a yellow or pink jersey.? Worked quite well this year, and last year for that matter.

They have the Sorenson super domestiques and the workhorse himself Jens Voigt (get well soon Jens) And team cars to take them from the hotel to the start of the TT :)

What would happen if the Scheks next year, riding for radio shack, were the only ones able to cope with Contador climbing Alpe d'Huez, would they be told to soft pedal and wait for the old man?

They said this year, in the Tour they would "Attack or Die" and they did, Chapeaux.